New staff member problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyxperts

Reaction score
I've employed my recently qualified (may 2014) sister p/t in my salon as a manicurist, I've run offers with her for shellac manis/pedis, to help gain speed and neatness. I've also spent approx 2 weeks training with her, going through things etc. Now the problem is her work is very inconsistent with regards the quality of her work, some clients leave with lovely neatly varnished/shellac'd nails & others have complained due to nails looking terribly thick and messy. I have just last week had to do some "emergency" training with her again after another complaint only to receive another complaint this weekend (all of which I'm having to redo myself) I'm at a loss now as what to do as she does not seem to take this seriously when I approach her, when I've asked her if she was happy with the nails done she's admitted that they could have been "neater, and she'd flooded the cuticle and sidewalls" with a "oh well" attitude, instead of wiping it off before curing she just leaves them - after repeatedly been told not to! She has been working in the salon since June and doesn't seem to be getting any better, if I'm honest I'm beginning to think she isn't really interested in the industry and did the course thinking it would be a "quick money maker". I've been in the industry for 17 years, I'm very passionate about it, and I've worked very hard to get my new salon off the ground, I'm at the point where I'm really frustrated and upset with her since it's my sister, she won't practice at home, I've offered to let her come in and practice but she isn't interested. I can't afford to employ someone, even my sister to repeatedly bump out bad work, my reputation is that I offer a high standard of service to my clients and this is how I've built my salon up - I've had lots of enquiries from fully qualified therapists and nail techs with experience wanting employment, I just feel I'm paying a wage out that isn't reaping any benefit at all - I really need advice as I'm at the point where it's going to be a situation of having to release my sister due to been unsuitable for the job 😔

Are you running a professional salon or a charity center?

Sister or not, if this was an employed member of staff you would get rid.

Also how do it look to the salon you have employed your little sister who's got no experience and no enthusiasm for the trade??

Does she tell clients she loves her job and is following in your footsteps or it was just something to do?

Are you running a professional salon or a charity center?

Sister or not, if this was an employed member of staff you would get rid.

Also how do it look to the salon you have employed your little sister who's got no experience and no enthusiasm for the trade??

Does she tell clients she loves her job and is following in your footsteps or it was just something to do?

She's actually 10 years older than me, she enjoys been in the salon - I assume it's the "relaxing" environment, but that maybe all well and good but as you say, it's not a charity! I have told her any other member of staff would have been dismissed. Truth be told,at the time I felt sorry for my sister as she'd had a rubbish few years, but now I don't I'm just cheesed off at this point. I understand everyone has to start some where but usually they are enthusiastic and love the industry. I think deep down I know the conversion tomorrow is going to be awkward but as you say it's my business and I'm not having my salon reputation ruined due to this x

I had the awkward conversation with my sister, we "mutually" agreed for her to leave.

Good luck xx

:)

I employ my daughter and I'm afraid I would let her go if she was as unenthusiastic as your sister.

It will be a difficult conversation but the relief will be palpable.

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been in this situation (and sure I'm not the last). I'll be speaking to her today x

I had this exact situation with my sister-in-law last year and in all honesty I let it drag on for too long and ended up very awkward. The best thing to do is just be honest - at the end of the day it's your business and livelihood that's on the line and she's not making an effort to improve! Good Luck to you x

So I spoke to my sister today, and found out she hasn't been enjoying it, found it's a harder career than she thought (!), both mutually agreed for her to leave, I feel much better now thanks geeks xx

Great outcome, well done :)

:)

Not only well done, but thanks for coming back and letting us know x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Glad you got sorted :)
Biggest lesson I learnt - family/friends & business do not mix!

Latest posts

Back