New therapist problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I'm worried I have made the wrong decision hiring this new therapist, one because she's not very good at taking bookings-she doesn't seem to get how to book people in- how much time to leave/ where to block it of to. I have helped her and explained it to her and even gave her a list of fake clients with treatments for her to practice writing in the diary. She also doesn't like to answer the phone I have to nearly force her to answer it! I have left notes at reception of what to say on the phone, how long all the treatments take and everything else she needs to know. This is her first time working in a salon so I understand she is nervous and she is only on her forth day so maybe I'm expecting too much?
Also I went through with her how to do a brazzillian wax today and she seemed abit clueless about simple things like where and how to stretch! Rather than stretching underneath where you are pulling off (under the wax strip) she would stretch the side of it which doesn't really do much. She was also abit confused and kept asking me what way to pull and stuff maybe it's because she hasn't had much experience, maybe the more waxing and stuff she does she will get better, but I don't want her to do clients and not be very good and that client may not come back! She seemed good at waxing on the trade test (done half leg wax) I'm going to get her to do a full leg wax on me today aswell to double check and help her improve.

Hey,

She is maybe just shy and very nervous. I know when people watch me I make silly mistakes that I wouldn't normally do....it's just a confidence thing with me. She maybe just needs to be nurtured?

As for showing how to do a Brazilian unless she has a certificate for it she will not be insured to do the treatment as in house training accounts for nothing.

Hope it all works out!

:p

Hi, really sorry to just butt in like this but I can feel for her, I myself am new to the industry and have been doing my training thriugh salon services, as ghey as a rule are only 1 day courses It has took me 6 months to feel confident withing each sector j have trained, I am still now only doing family and friends asni am shi****g myself ever getting a job in a salon as I know its going to take alot of confidence and time, perhaps just make her shadow EVERYTHING you do and in time she should get there :) sorry to butt in :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek mobile app

When i first started work in a salon i was thrown in at the deep end but a bit farther down the line when i started to do nails i was expected to be really really good before i was allowed on people i didnt feel very confident i did have one employer who was willing to help me at college you only learn the basics and obviously you dont do an awful amount of treatments just remember when you first started

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

hi didn't want to read and run my first salon experience was slightly different so i cant really relate i did an apprenticeship so when i qualified in my NVQ level 2 i was already confident in the day to day running of a salon and started working in a spa for my Level 3 apprenticeship which is now many moons ago,

but i can understand new therapists feeling nervous & shy etc but i would expect them to have answering the phone and appointment booking grasped in at least a week as its basic practice, why not giver her a probation period of 2 to 3 months or whatever you feel necessary and if she doesn't meet your requirements or basic standard then find someone who will its your business at the end of the day so you need to do whats best for it xx

I think you new to cut the poor girl some slack! It's her forth day! They say it takes a good couple of weeks to settle into a job, especially if she's naturally a shy person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone's posts. You really really need to relax and not be so harsh on her. She's young. College is a completely different experience to working in the salon and being hands on! Again... Take yourself back to when you got your first job!! How nervous you felt. Everybody has to start somewhere. Where this girl is now, that was you one day. Don't forget that.
I'm really sorry to have to say this, but maybe it's you. (I really dnt mean to sound so rude so please forgive me) but maybe you aren't making her feel comfortable, maybe your experience etc is quite intimidating to her.
Take her through everything but completely take your time. I'm not saying I'm totally clued up on students etc but when I had my work experience girl in with me I just took her through things slowly so she felt comfortable and at ease.
I offered clients a 50% discount during treatments so I could assist her and talk to her through treatments exposing what I was doing. Why I was doing it. She was quite a slow waxer.. But oh my wow so was I! So I got her to do one leg.. I did the other and I showed her how much quicker I was. But I didn't emphasise on the speed of my waxing. I told her it would all come in time. And one thing I did after every single treatment was tell her how well she had done.. That just instantly lifts their mood, improves their confidence and makes them think 'I did good today'
Don't forget how it makes you feel when you have impressed a client... It's the same for her. She wants to impress you. And I'm sure she will. She just needs to settle in.
It isn't nice having your boss constantly breathing down your neck, picking faults at everything.. My old boss was like that and it really knocks at your confidence.

I'm sure she will do great. Just be patient :)

Nicola! Xxx

My new employee is not fresh out of school but doesn't have a lot of in treatment experience. Like none. She is on her 4th day with me. She is part time admin, part time esty to get her in the door.

Anyway, I am taking at least an hour or 2 a day with my clients to have her watch some of the services I do. Not work on the client, just watch so she can concentrate on the skin stretching and wax spread. After the first treatment her mind was blown at the intricacies of the details. When you are fresh out of school you just don't have the day in and day out experience like we do. Without the experience she won't have the confidence.

The other thing is even if you have the technical skill down, school doesn't teach you the customer interaction of checking clients in, checking clients out, accounting of time, money or supplies. With that said a little more hand holding is required to get their confidence up. Practice phone calls. Walk out of the shop and call the main line. She might get nervous on the system if you are watching her like a hawk.

I would suggest adding 25% more time than you (a seasoned pro) would take. And about 10% more product. I have a 5 page price book of services showing how long the service should take, what's the longest it should take and how many sticks she should be using. The stick count is important so she can gauge if she is on the right path for speed/coverage. I use it to gauge if my clients back hair is thinning out over time.

Yesterday, I had her bring in her own model for a Brazilian. I didn't want to terrify one of my own clients with a newbie trying her hand at it. I also had her do a side by side with me on a back wax to show her proper spread and timing. Most of my clients are very pleasant about having an assistant/trainee with me.

I am also getting her proper training in hard (hot) waxes b/c that is what I use in my shop for most services.

Latest posts

Back