New therapist wants to bring in new beauty range that only she knows how to use

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy llama

Reaction score
I have a Therapist who rents a treatment room at my salon. she does shellac nails and HD brows which is great as she has her own clients who come for this. I dont mind my clients going to her as at least the room rent gets paid and i dont provide those treatments.
She is also trained in Environ and wants to find clients for this, do the facials and sell the products from my salon.
I am totally for helping others achieve their aims, but how do i ensure that i benefit from that situation?
should i charge an introduction fee, do the course myself, or what?
Should I charge a fee for every environ treatment done on one of my clients? She already pays room rent.
Should i allow her to sell the products from my reception, or just allow her to sell them from her treatment room?
Has anyone any ideas or experience of this problem?
from loopy llama

Assuming you take a percentage of her takings, let her do the treatments and split the takings. Surely anything that increases both your income is a good thing.

Not sure about the retail side of it.

Could you retail from reception & take a small commission maybe? Doesn't seem right to me to charge her for new clients coming in - you don't do HD or Shellac either but you don't charge her any more for them IYSWIM?

If you want to rent the room AND charge her for any of your clients who use her for facials AND benefit from her selling her own stock, I am wondering if it would have been easier and fairer for you to employ someone instead.

It's a bit much to 'tax' her on everything she manages to make money on for her own business.

Others may have a different view though.

As a self employed room renter, I personally would be considering moving elsewhere if a salon manager began charging me for each new treatment I introduced on top of my agreed rent. I think a percentage of retail sales is reasonable if they will displayed outside of her rented room, anything else just seems too much IMO.

I've always rented a room and have never been asked for anything else on top…………I would have left.

With respect, you can't have it all ways. You either charge a flat rent that she pays 52 weeks of the year whether she's there or not; or you take a % of her takings and you stand to make nothing when she's not there. She may not want to work on a % basis anyway.

You should encourage her to make as much money as she can for herself without making any financial gain yourself. That way you'll have a happy tenant and you are guaranteed an income come rain or shine.

Do you do facials yourself and worry that this may take business away from you? If this is not the case I think anything that increases her business and ensures she will still be able to pay her rent and probably bring in new clients must be a good thing?
Re retail I would suggest that if you sell any yourself from reception then perhaps a comission rate could be discussed.
Hope it works ok for you

If you're a beauty therapist who has a beauty therapist working at your salon doing only treatments that you permit her to, wouldn't that mean that you're really wanting to have someone employed as part of having this extent of control?

Does she have a contract with you? What does this say? You can't change t's and c's without written warning and tbh I wouldn't blame her if she went elsewhere!
If she pays rent for the room, surely it's up to her what treatments she offers? If she wants you to retail products on her behalf, I'd say it was fair to negotiate a percentage. However it's also worth thinking that if she offers a wider range of treatments this may well bring people to your salon that haven't been before. It could be in your interest to keep her on side as these customers might start booking different treatments with you....

I would have to agree with all the girls who feel that if she is paying "rent" then it is unfair if you request a percentage on her services.. I have never rented at all.. I wouldn't look at it like its a bad thing shes introducing new services at your salon... Its a great thing because as she brings in clients for XYZ ... They may also turn to you for your services as well.... Which will pay for its self in the long run... and regarding you getting trained for that as well... I can see two sides of that.. if it something you think your going to be overbooked for then , yes do it but .. but get puzzled when she gets upset.. that could result in a loss as well...

Does she know environ have made the start up order over £4000 you can split the cost over 3 years. She may not want it when she find this out. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Thnkyou all soo much for your responses. she doesnt want to be employed because she has another job (not beauty) 3 days a week. i do loads of facials at the salon and the treatments she currently does simply complement what i do. she's already trained in environ and has the machinery. But I hear what you alll seem to be saying and will only ask for a small percentage if she decides she would like to display her her products in our main reception. She has said to me that i could train too and just use her machinery. Which is very genorous.

Thnkyou all soo much for your responses. she doesnt want to be employed because she has another job (not beauty) 3 days a week. i do loads of facials at the salon and the treatments she currently does simply complement what i do. she's already trained in environ and has the machinery. But I hear what you alll seem to be saying and will only ask for a small percentage if she decides she would like to display her her products in our main reception. She has said to me that i could train too and just use her machinery. Which is very genorous.

Nice response Loopy, and re her generous offer ... swings and roundabouts :cool: x

Latest posts

Back