New to gel nails - advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisaB

Reaction score
Hi

I am qualified in manicure, pedicure & gel polish. I have recently done a 2 day course for a nail tech which I passed (acrylic, gel, silk, fibreglass). I only did 1 nail in gel using millennium gel and a UV lamp on the course. I practised on a friend, and the gel just wouldn't set. The tutor did teach us under a UV lamp, could it be that gel is only suitable with a UV lamp? I did get it to cure eventually but it was a nightmare to do. I am thinking of trying a different brand but have only been taught with that gel. Any suggestions for a starter? Thank you :)

Hi Louisa,

I assume from your post that you used and LED lamp to cure the gel . Then yes if your gel is a UV gel then it will not set with LED . Its a complicated process and i do not want to confuse you at this stage . LED is actually UV but different wavelength

I hate to rain on your parade but I have to say doing one nail in gel does not make for a gel nail tech .There is so much to learn and you say you did all four systems in two days ! . Thats just not possible to give you the knowledge you need in that space of time and it is plainly clear from your post that is the case.

Our basic gel course is 3 days and on top of that students have to complete and send for assessment another 20 sets of nails before they can pass and have to complete and hour and a half written exam !

But the short answer to your question is yes if it is a UV gel and you tried to cure with an LED lamp that is where your problem is

If you intend to offer extension services to the public I would definitely consider getting more training . PM me if you would like details of our courses

x

He
Hi Louisa,

I assume from your post that you used and LED lamp to cure the gel . Then yes if your gel is a UV gel then it will not set with LED . Its a complicated process and i do not want to confuse you at this stage . LED is actually UV but different wavelength

I hate to rain on your parade but I have to say doing one nail in gel does not make for a gel nail tech .There is so much to learn and you say you did all four systems in two days ! . Thats just not possible to give you the knowledge you need in that space of time and it is plainly clear from your post that is the case.

Our basic gel course is 3 days and on top of that students have to complete and send for assessment another 20 sets of nails before they can pass and have to complete and hour and a half written exam !

But the short answer to your question is yes if it is a UV gel and you tried to cure with an LED lamp that is where your problem is

If you intend to offer extension services to the public I would definitely consider getting more training . PM me if you would like details of our courses

x

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I would definitely like more training as I do not feel confident at all. I don't want to keep practising people on what I have been taught as I do not want to pick up bad habits. For now I think I will just stick to what I know - manicure, pedicure and gel polish.

I will definitely PM you.

Thank you for your help

He

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I would definitely like more training as I do not feel confident at all. I don't want to keep practising people on what I have been taught as I do not want to pick up bad habits. For now I think I will just stick to what I know - manicure, pedicure and gel polish.

I will definitely PM you.

Thank you for your help

I am not surprised you do not feel confident ! neither would I if i only did one gel nail lol. More training is a really good idea . I am not going to push you to my course but happy to give you more info if you want it . We run the course dates to suit those wishing to attend ( not the other way around !) and even hold on a Sunday if need be . Our courses are accredited by Professional Beauty

x

I agree that you would need additional training. I was nervous after a 9 month evening class and that was for only for manicure/pedicure, gel polish and L&P. We had closed book written and practical assessments.
I found L&P was all about practice but you need to know the basics and contraindications etc beforehand.
Maybe a college course covering some of them or individual courses on each one.
Which educator did the 2 day course and was it a recognised qualification to enable you to obtain insurance? Xx

I agree that you would need additional training. I was nervous after a 9 month evening class and that was for only for manicure/pedicure, gel polish and L&P. We had closed book written and practical assessments.
I found L&P was all about practice but you need to know the basics and contraindications etc beforehand.
Maybe a college course covering some of them or individual courses on each one.
Which educator did the 2 day course and was it a recognised qualification to enable you to obtain insurance? Xx
Thanks for your reply. I definitely need more training as I feel it was a waste of money. I did it with the nail and beauty school and it was habia accredited. It just seemed very fast we did cover some theory but I feel I need to know a lot more. I did my manicure and pedicure over the course of a year on Saturdays.

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely look into more training

Louisa

I am not surprised you do not feel confident ! neither would I if i only did one gel nail lol. More training is a really good idea . I am not going to push you to my course but happy to give you more info if you want it . We run the course dates to suit those wishing to attend ( not the other way around !) and even hold on a Sunday if need be . Our courses are accredited by Professional Beauty

x
I am definitely interested, how can I private message you?

Thanks
Louisa

Thanks
Louisa
Ummm lol I am not sure now . Think its all changed here . I will send you details - I hope :)

Thanks
Louisa

Ummm lol I am not sure now . Think its all changed here . I will send you details - I hope :)

Private Messages are now titled Start a conversation.

You can access this option from the relevant profile details of the person you wish to contact.

Private Messages are now titled Start a conversation.

You can access this option from the relevant profile details of the person you wish to contact.
Thanks Noodle yes I worked that out ...finally lol

Latest posts

Back