New to gel nails, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne1304

Reaction score
Hi everyone !!
So Im writing this for some major advice , I recently started doing gel nails again in October after doing the course a few years back iv Been trying to do around four sets a week to get into the swing of things and get good at them and they seem to be coming along it's a very hard job or is it just me ? Some sets do be grey and I had many refills but it ha some mishaps with nails coming off clients to and I'd have to fix them I'm wondering does this happen to everyone at the beginning and does it get better and will I get better I really love doing them and have a refresher cours coming up soon but in the meantime I need some advice as it is knocking my confiDence an I really love doing them and some peoples I do they do be perfect but others not please help

I totally get where you're coming from! It all takes time... I started doing nails from home in March this year and it used to take me 3-4 hours to finish a simple gel set(no nail art included). I had to hand file everything since I didn't own a drill. Shellac clients used to get lifting, my gel set clients used to have lifting before 3 days... Some clients artificial nail would pop off from the natural nail. It all takes time and educationing yourself.

I have this client who came to see me since August, she has short wide nails and her both index fingers would pop off.. I never understood why. I thought she was just going nuts with her index finger but I had to try so many different techniques and products just to understand why this happens. Its all trial and error but I fixed the problem and I'm so glad its over with. Haha

A lot of my clients are really understanding, I always thank them for being super patient and taking it for the team with a numb bum lol! but it will get so much better, you just have to believe in yourself, keep in touch with your nail tech friends. Do your own nails! Get in the hang of perfecting art, nail structure, shaping, polishing.. If you want to email each other back and fourth, we can keep in touch!! I'd love to have a friend oversea and we can teach each other! =D

Can I join you girls. I am about to start a gel nails course from tomorrow and then work from home thereafter. Need some support

I remember my first gel sets, they was a really nightmare, clients coming back after few days with 2 or more nails pop , me crying at nights and wonder why and so on , now I have just the occasionally nail break at the smiley line if I'm not super careful when I remove the form, in the end of the line is just practice and patience.

It's all perfectly normal whilst in training/recently qualified.

However, keep trying to perfect what you're doing and ensure you're perfecting the correct techniques.

I started off with a college course and looking back, I would've never got any better if I'd stuck with only ever learning their techniques as they weren't thorough enough. The prep which was taught to us wasn't good enough and lifting would've never got any better if I'd not further educated myself.

Also, not sure what you're using but a decent brand makes all the difference. Good luck.

I totally get where you're coming from! It all takes time... I started doing nails from home in March this year and it used to take me 3-4 hours to finish a simple gel set(no nail art included). I had to hand file everything since I didn't own a drill. Shellac clients used to get lifting, my gel set clients used to have lifting before 3 days... Some clients artificial nail would pop off from the natural nail. It all takes time and educationing yourself.

I have this client who came to see me since August, she has short wide nails and her both index fingers would pop off.. I never understood why. I thought she was just going nuts with her index finger but I had to try so many different techniques and products just to understand why this happens. Its all trial and error but I fixed the problem and I'm so glad its over with. Haha

A lot of my clients are really understanding, I always thank them for being super patient and taking it for the team with a numb bum lol! but it will get so much better, you just have to believe in yourself, keep in touch with your nail tech friends. Do your own nails! Get in the hang of perfecting art, nail structure, shaping, polishing.. If you want to email each other back and fourth, we can keep in touch!! I'd love to have a friend oversea and we can teach each other! =D
Thanks so much for the reply yes I would love to keep in touch would really help I'm having a week off from them at the moment with the week that's in it but back on Friday I'm doingonly four sets a week but I have my time to an hour and a half which I think is good going most of my clients come back for refills butvto me they are not 100% I'm doing another refresher course and art course next week hopefully that helps what brand do you use and did u do courses to improve can't wait to hear back

S, post: 2553454, member: 41310"]It's all perfectly normal whilst in training/recently qualified.

However, keep trying to perfect what you're doing and ensure you're perfecting the correct techniques.

I started off with a college course and looking back, I would've never got any better if I'd stuck with only ever learning their techniques as they weren't thorough enough. The prep which was taught to us wasn't good enough and lifting would've never got any better if I'd not further educated myself.

Also, not sure what you're using but a decent brand makes all the difference. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Did you go to different courses to get better or was it just ur own trial and error ? I really love doing them and want to keep it up just the odd one vsn be very dis heartening

I just finished my 6 day course. My French lines are not perfect and asked me to work on it. I was thinking of practicing for about a month at home and start out. Whatsay

Hi ladies
Sorry to jump in on your post, but I'm also new to gel nails, I have done a few sets recently but 2 clients have come back to me saying that they have chipped or they have lifted, I have done everything I should of I don't understand how they have lifted? Could anyone shed some light please?
Thank you!

Hi ladies
Sorry to jump in on your post, but I'm also new to gel nails, I have done a few sets recently but 2 clients have come back to me saying that they have chipped or they have lifted, I have done everything I should of I don't understand how they have lifted? Could anyone shed some light please?
Thank you!

Hmm how long has the chipping been from the time they have gotten it done?
Application in the nail bed is gently filed and cleaned properly?
Using primer and bonder? I use an acid primer from nsi on new clients since I'm not sure about their past nail history. But also I use it on some of my regular clients who have fast lifting.
Gel application is not too close to the cuticles?

Hiya

I done them last Wednesday so about 5 days..yep I've used the cleaning prep before i apply the base then 2 coats of colour then either a non wipe top coat or a normal topcoat, nope not close to cuticle either, I'm so confused

Hi Leanne,

It’s all about practicing, girl!

And about the grey-ish color, have you tried looking into other gel brands? Maybe that could also be another reason.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I think prep is a big big thing when you are having nails popping off. So I'd just say take extra extra EXTRA time cleaning and prepping nails before the applucation.

Latest posts

Back