New to nails - help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliceh

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm taking a Shellac nail course next Saturday, I'm very excited! :)

I want to do mobile nails at the weekend and when I have days off, evenings would be too late once I get home. I currently work 9-5 in London, including travel time this is actually more like 7-7 so weekdays are out of the question.

I've been looking at different threads and forums to get tips but thought I'd try to get all tips and advice in one place.

A few questions:

1. Where's best to get equipment? I've been looking on ebay, gumtree etc. I've seen you can get stuff from Sweet Squared but obviously until I receive my certificate after my course I'm unable to check the website for prices.

2. How many colours should I start with? I've been looking at kits with 9 colours, some with 15. I've seen 21/40 colours on ebay. I don't want to waste money on colours but don't want to disappoint people.

3. How did you advertise? I've got facebook, I'm going to start with my fiance's family and hope word of mouth from them will help.

Any other tips or advice is welcome! I'm really looking forward to starting this but am starting to feel a little daunted by it all. I want to be a success and I know it will be a slow process, I am happy to work hard.

Thank you guys!!

Hi and welcome.

Are you training in CND Shellac or a gel polish course?

If CND Shellac the authorised distributor is Sweet Squared (S2 for short) and the sub distributor is Ellisons. If you have a manicure qualification you can open a trade account with S2, just give them a call.

As for buying equipment off ebay or amazon for example, I would really advise you not to as you cannot be guaranteed the products are genuine and could therefore be exposing yourself and clients to harmful products. You'd also need to check your insurance would cover you in the event of a claim.

I had 10 colours to start with and I use CND Shellac. You can layer different shades to achieve new colours so if you're savvy and do some research you could end up with a lot more. S2 have a starter Shellac package.

Re advertising, theres a huge thread in the Business board. Take a look as there's hundreds of ideas on there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

thank you!

the course is not a branded certificate, but they teach using shellac.

the course is approved and accredited by The Guild of Beauty Therapists (Diploma), so will i be able to open a trade account with S2?

i'm sorry if i am asking obvious questions but i just want to make sure i am doing things right.

Do you already hold a basic manicure qualification or are they incorporating that on the day with the gel polish training?You'd be best to ask S2 as they can tell you which qualifications they accept.

The only official Shellac training is via S2 so I'd be surprised if they are training with CND Shellac. ...is it definitely CND? Many places even colleges etc say they are offering training with Shellac when they're using a gel polish

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

they're incorporating it within the course.

from the notes it seems the course is general gel polish but they use cnd shellac on the day.

if I'll get an accredited diploma, would this be enough for s2? I'll call them tomorrow to ask them.

Latest posts

Back