New to the nail industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElleFlo

Reaction score
Hiya,

I would be so grateful for some advice/tips please :)

I'm fairly new to the nail industry - I come from a MUA background which I loved but I lost my spark for it & found a new love in doing nails.

Years ago when I was young I done a NVQ L 1 in beauty therapy to see if I wanted to peruse in beauty, I wasn't sure even though my tutor begged me to be an apprentice of the college *Kicks myself now* as I now have to fork out money to do a very basic qualification!

Now years on I realised I wanted to do mobile nails so I went and done a basic Level 2 Manicure diploma & Gelish course..

However I have gone to start 2 days in a lovely lady's beauty boutique and I plan on doing manicures and pedicures working with CND shellac.

However I sent her my level 2 mani diploma & Gelish cert for her license and they said they need NVQ as The borrow doesn't allow diploma. Which I have now paid to do with the college I done my diploma with.

The question is what does my NVQ L 1 mini mani mini pedi & facials allow me to do in terms of working in a salon? I also want to learn enhancements in future.

So sorry for the ramble. So confusing but I am just so lost!!

Thank you xx

I don’t know about the nvq stuff at all, it I know the guild insured me with my diplomas, so perhaps you could get your own insurance if the salon would be happy, so you can at least do your shellac application as practice. (My Insurance was £85 or something I think)

What exam board was your level 2 manicure diploma with?

There is no need for you to have an NVQ specifically. Your level 2 in nails is sufficient.
NVQ is a 'type' of qualification usually awarded to apprenticeship students.
College based training is usually a VRQ and then you have all the other equivalent diplomas from the accredited private training centres.
They are all worth the same and will enable you to get insurance.
If you are in any doubt just phone the guild of therapists or babtac and ask them if they recognise your diploma and therefore will insure you.

Latest posts

Back