New Types of Salons invading OZ!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These people are the same type as the ones that ruined all my nails. My fingers were so blistered that I had to wear gloves to work and they were so painful I cried. The old saying pops into my head

"You pays peanuts, You gets Monkeys !!!:evil:

Just reading the replies on this thread about the pain some people have felt makes my skin go cold...causing that kinda damage is awful.

I have to put in down to a few things

1 Either they don't know th dangers
2 They know the dangers but think stuff it it's so cheap
3 This is the only kinda place they have been and think this is normal
4 THEY ARE CRAZYYYYYYY!!!!!

I dunno.....they may be a bit nutty to have to endure that pain and then turn around and pay for it!

thatsnoicenailz said:
She asked for gels, from what she explained to me it sounds like she has had L+P instead as she didn't put her hand under a lamp, wasn't sprayed with an activation spray or anything like that. So firstly they damaged her nail plate and secondly they lied and ripped her off!!!!!! Then when she went to another local salon for an infill on her "gels" they told her she was getting gels and again applied l+p!

They are in Canada also. I had a similar experience as mentioned above. Just before going on holidays I decided to check out some competition in the neighbourhood. I asked for Gels, I got L&P and a very bad job it was also. She didn't do any prep, used product from a generic jar with "GEL Nails" hand written on it! She slapped the product on and then a man came over and efiled them into shape. I was then moved to another table to have a white tip airbrushed on and a top coat over that. During this time, she answered the phone eight times, dealt with two walk-ins, and answered my questions with yes or no answers. Cost me $40 and I went home and removed them! During my time there a lady came in for a manicure; the tech used the same band on her efile as the previous client. The station was not cleaned between clients and I could go on and on. They had a sign on the wall that stated they had been inspected and cleared by public health! I tried to find out about this but never got an answer! hmmmmm?????? I never had seen that before except in a restaurant.

I now hear that there is another one opened up across the street from this place and more are supppose to be coming in the New Year. As I only have a couple of clients, I only recently started to offer nails in the salon I work in, the hair clients tell me they would never have fake nails again as it ruined their nails and it took ages for them to grow back decently. In the last week I have heard this at least 20 times!

I agree that the only thing we all can do is promote the " high sanitation and no damage to nails" and customer service with a smile! Whew ok that was long!

well ladies, they are over here in england too, especially in west london, in hammersmith, where there are several on every corner. they are all over the place here. i am just starting out training and had no idea how damaging these places were til i came accross this thread.

i think the public should be warned, maybe print out this thread viewing our concerns and the dangers would prove beneficial to not only us, our industry, but especially, and most importantly to the clients. they have to be made aware of these issues. someone please direct them to this website. i am sure onbce they have read this thread they wont go near these places with a million foot barge pole!!!

I have seen this while living in LA/London and now in NZ. At the moment there is one salon who have 6 techs but only one is qualified and of course the rest "train on the job" and their prices are the cheapest in town. Not all Asian techs have bad practices as one of the best I have come across was in London but unfortunately he moved on and I refused to go to anyone else.

Their trade mark is charging the discounted prices and they may or may not produce the quality work many on this site have achieved or is trying to achieve by educating themselves. Many clients who do go to these salons a) dont want to pay too much money b) are not educated enough to know what is good quality until the problems such as infection arise.

I have just completed my course and still in the initial stage of gaining experience for the next 6mths or so until I feel competent to charge full price. I do not feel threatened by these people and will charge people what I feel my skills are worth if not more. From all the feedback and pics I have seen on this site there are a hell of a lot of talented techs out there and I cant wait to get to that stage. However by charging what you are worth and educating your clients on the products you use/after care and anything else will keep them coming back. Fortunately I have had experience with good and bad techs overseas and after taking my nail course this has educated me on "what not to do" sadly these customers who go to techs who are not informed/educated (not only asians) do not know any better.

Once again I'm sure this thread has nothing really to do with the fact that theses techs are asian, it's just that the salons I beleive all us Aussies are talking about, only hire these asian men and women so by mentioning the fact they were asians was only to describe which salons we were talking about and not to confuse it with any others. It's a national chain salon and as showed on one of our Current Affairs programs, they hire these people because they are cheap to pay and they are eager to get away from their country and over to Australia.

I would love to clearly state the name of the salons in question to save on any confusion, but I think we arn't allowed to on this site (is this right?). Lets just hope that one day soon, these salons invading oz and everywhere else start to be a little more PROFESSIONAL then they call them selves!

Oh and one more thing.

I'm not threated by this chain of salons, i'm just sick of the seeing the damaged nails that show up on my door step because of these butchers!

I'm with Danielle.:p

thatsnoicenailz said:
there was something about these new salons on A Current Affair or Today Tonight a month or so ago, I missed it but apparently it was really good against warning consumers against them!!!!!

I wish we got that kind of support here from the UK journos!!! Here in the UK they just love to print the horror stories when they could use their influence to help guide the public! :eek:

Anyway it has all happened before in various countries before Australia ... same lies ... same bad hygiene ... same bad practices .... same quick work with the drills ... same customer complaints. Have you come across their removal method yet?? You'll love this one. Seems the preferred method is to take a plastic tip, slide it under the lifted material and just prize the enhancement off :Scared: ... then they prep with the drill again and 'bob's your uncle' one thinned and knackered nail plate (or even 10)!

The NSS have had their effect on others businesses at first but not prevailed in the end. Thank goodness the public aren't completely silly ... cheap attracts but cheap can be very dear sometimes.

Anyway it has all happened before in various countries before Australia ... same lies ... same bad hygiene ... same bad practices .... same quick work with the drills ... same customer complaints. Have you come across their removal method yet?? You'll love this one. Seems the preferred method is to take a plastic tip, slide it under the lifted material and just prize the enhancement off :Scared: ... then they prep with the drill again and 'bob's your uncle' one thinned and knackered nail plate (or even 10)!

OHMIGOD!!!!!! i HAVE GOOSE BUMPS THINKING ABOUT THAT REMOVAL METHOD!!!!! EEEKKKK!!!!!!!!

my cousin went to the so called "professionals" and i couldn't believe it when she told me how they took off her previous set. sliding a nail tip under the acrylic left her nails in a really bad condition and all they did was reapply l&p straight over. you could see all these white marks on her nail beds from the damage through the acrylic. poor thing. never again she said!

I went there a few months ago just to see what they were all about as i had also heard alot of bad things about the place and agree with everything that has been said here. the tech would not talk to me, i felt like i was being rushed, and the most frustrating thing of all was that it was not a completed service!!! She finished e filing (no normal friggin file) and tells me that she is finished. I said to here, arnt you going to buff them, said said she had already done it.. BULL! she never even picked up a buffer!!! then she told me it I wanted a top coat i would have to pay an extra 5$$! I walked out with horrible nails and went home I finished shaping and buffer. They were the worst looking nails i have ever seen. It was not only me either as my best friend went in there a few days later and hers came out the same.

I cant wait for them all to go out of business!!! They are the worst thing to ever happen in the nail industry!!

Jesbica said:
I went there a few months ago just to see what they were all about as i had also heard alot of bad things about the place and agree with everything that has been said here. the tech would not talk to me, i felt like i was being rushed, and the most frustrating thing of all was that it was not a completed service!!! She finished e filing (no normal friggin file) and tells me that she is finished. I said to here, arnt you going to buff them, said said she had already done it.. BULL! she never even picked up a buffer!!! then she told me it I wanted a top coat i would have to pay an extra 5$$! I walked out with horrible nails and went home I finished shaping and buffer. They were the worst looking nails i have ever seen. It was not only me either as my best friend went in there a few days later and hers came out the same.

I cant wait for them all to go out of business!!! They are the worst thing to ever happen in the nail industry!!
did you take any photos of the set they applied?

In the early days of my business I went into one of these places to see what it was like and wondered why there was only one certificate on the wall for 5 staff ? ( I've now got 8 certificates) I did quietly ask one of the staff if anyone was NVQ trained ( go for the jugular eh!!!! ha ha...
anyway a girl said there wasnt any NVQ's for nails and I just said oh? then took a price list and left the place.

I noticed that the one certificate was from the nail centre at Oxford circus in London, I wondered if this was just a postal address ???

Any way I am not worried from a business point of view as I offer a completely different experience for my clients when it comes to nail care and enhancements.

welcome to the wonderful :twisted: world of NSS..................i read somewhere that in the US they have caused so much damage to clients, that they are being sued left right and centre and having to rectify the damage caused after being trained and licenced. This is apparently the reason why they are flooding other countries markets.

It even comes down to sanitation, one woman had a pedicure done in the pedi chair after she had shaved her legs that morning at home. She caught an infection from the unsanitised pedi chair and it produced big wails etc on her legs. Apparently there were other customers that had the same reaction, and the correct services traced it back to this particular salon which was succesfuly sued for 3.5 million dollars.

So keep up your standards as i know you will and just wait for the market turn around, cause it will it's starting to happen now. Clients are becomng more salon savy!

lovenails1 said:
Is it just me or is this the slowest Xmas ever!! The only thing I can put it down to is that in Adelaide, Australia we have had a huge influx of a new type of Nail Salon to hit all our major Shopping Centre. These salons have about 10 nail techs each , all asians, all going crazy flat out doing nails for really cheap prices. At least half of what all us other girls charge, we cant compete. The only good thing is that these techs are using cheap products and are not the friendliest to the clients, not speaking english often and being very rough and rushed. I have been told that 99% of these Techs have not been trained either, which isnt good for our industry. I have had a few new clients recently telling me that they will never go to one of these salons again, they are much more impressed with my services/skills etc. Have any other countries/towns etc been swarmed with these type of salons or is it only Oz?? PS this isnt a dig at these Techs just because they Asian, its the professionalism that Im talking about etc. :irked:

Welcome to what has been happening in the US & UK for a few years now. Don't try and compete - do a search for NSS and this will help you.:!:

Hi there

In full swing here also....Sydney-Wollongong- then further down the coast.
Fortunatly most people that have been to these salons from this area have to travel a fair distance to maintain them there. In between of course if they do happen to "BREAK...[Ouccch!!!] one of these nails they need something done pronto.
Upon arrival with a badly beaten up nail/finger,
along with an appropriate solution to help. Myself - Doctor or Casualty ward.
[seen some doooozie's]
I have handy the MMA leaflet available from Christine - Creatives New Edge Vic.. http://www.creativesnewedge.com.au/xp3haKMB3+duha/MMA%20Info%20brochure.pdf

International Beauty Supplies - OPI stockists in Sydney have been sending these with their orders for at least 9 years maybe longer.........

Lots more articles & information on these products/salons are available on various websites.Some of the before and after shots of the 'victims nails' will make you wonder
HOW did they sit there - pay & go back!!!!!

Maree Alexander Vice President of The Australian Professional Fingernail Assosiation www.apfa.net.au
has been involved with the media here in relation to these salons & there non standard practices.
Passing the concerns of many Australian Nail Techs & Industry members onto
the Australian Goverment who are the ones that can & should do something.
Networking & Education of both technicians & our clientele can only benifit the situation

HTH

XX J XX

Latest posts

Back