Newbie nail tech advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie68

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just qualified in gel polish and manicures. I'm a little late coming into the industry at 51. I intend to do mobile and do family and friends at home.
Any advice would be grateful. I've had price lists, aftercare advice, t&cs and buis ess cards printed. Thinking of doing a 50% offer for fed and March just to get my name out there and some experience and to build my confidence.

I am also in this situation I am 48.x

The problem with offering as much as 50% off is that you probably won’t attract the right sort of client from the start. There are so many people out there that just look for the cheapest option and as soon as your prices go back to normal, they head off to the next offer elsewhere.

Why not use your family and friends to practice on until you are happy with your work, take plenty of photos to share on your page and ask them to share, like and comment on them in return for their nails. That should get your work seen by more people.
Then, how about offering say free gel toes with each gel manicure for the first month? (Or at a reduced price). So you keep your gel mani price as it should be, but they get something nice for free/cheaper, but they know it’s for a limited period of time.

The problem with offering as much as 50% off is that you probably won’t attract the right sort of client from the start. There are so many people out there that just look for the cheapest option and as soon as your prices go back to normal, they head off to the next offer elsewhere.

Why not use your family and friends to practice on until you are happy with your work, take plenty of photos to share on your page and ask them to share, like and comment on them in return for their nails. That should get your work seen by more people.
Then, how about offering say free gel toes with each gel manicure for the first month? (Or at a reduced price). So you keep your gel mani price as it should be, but they get something nice for free/cheaper, but they know it’s for a limited period of time.
Thank you its a mine field but determined to give it my best

Thank you its a mine field but determined to give it my best

Good luck! And don’t let your age put you off, I came back into the industry after a long break at 48 (I’m 52 next month) and I haven’t regretted it for a minute :)

Hi all. I've just qualified in gel polish and manicures. I'm a little late coming into the industry at 51. I intend to do mobile and do family and friends at home.
Any advice would be grateful. I've had price lists, aftercare advice, t&cs and buis ess cards printed. Thinking of doing a 50% offer for fed and March just to get my name out there and some experience and to build my confidence.
Hi Julie! I wouldn’t do 50% to start pushing yourself. You can try 20% off new clients for a service of $30 or more. Then you can give each new client a Loyalty Card and on the 10 visit then maybe you can offer a Free Mani or Express Pedi. (Or whatever you want to offer) This will keep them in your chair and with incentive. Don’t cut yourself short; even if you just started. Hope this helps!! -Jo

Latest posts

Back