Nail tech part time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmGoo22

Reaction score
Hi, I've been interested in the hair and beauty industry for as long as I can remember but I've never managed to do a course, for one reason or another (kids, mortgage, debt etc). I'm now in a position to take a nail course and start up doing family and friends nails and hopefully train in nail extensions, lash extensions, tanning and maybe waxing.

I work 4 days a week in an office and I'd love to keep this up as a guaranteed income but I feel like I need to be doing something a bit more sociable and creative!

Does anyone have any tips or in a similar situation as me who could offer any advice?

I've found a 2 day CND course which I am hoping to start in June/July time with a friend.

Is it easy to build up a client base? how much do you think I could earn on 1 or 2 days a week?
I was thinking of potentially turning my spare bedroom into my beauty room - has anyone else done this?

TIA

Hey,

I m in the same boat..I work 5 days a week and wanted to do nails part-time at evenings and weekends. I did a course in February and only just qualified 2 weeks ago. It was a long slow process with only 1 or 2 people to practice on each week. Patience is the key.

I used Facebook to advertise for training hands but still found it a struggle to get people even though treatments were free. I did find doing strangers a lot easier to work with though...I found i was too caring and easy on friends but learnt more from strangers.

I'm currently working on spare room of my house. As soon as I qualified i started an introductory offer and immediately had 6 bookings. I am constantly updating Facebook to get more likes and interest. It is so expensive to get started and it will take a long time for me to breakeven..so again, be patient :)

I also was employed (as a teacher) before starting my course with CND, and now I've luckily built up enough clientele. I have quit my job and now focus on nails.:)
However, I think perhaps you are looking at the wrong course?The nail technician courses by CND for gel/acrylic are a week long, followed by a couple months of practicing on models every day, and then back to CND for an exam. The 2-day course might be something else, like gel polish/Shellac perhaps? In which case you would be a qualified manicurist, not a nail tech.
As for how much you can earn on those spare days it will depend on where you live, how many other nail techs are around, what do they charge, and what you charge of course. I haven't had any clients interested in gel polish, they all want enhancements, so in terms of the course you mentioned I don't have any experience with the income potential for a manicurist. If you end up doing a course in enhancements, you can expect to be slow at sculpting the nails in the first months, so probably will only fit two customers per day. If I charge the going rate for a set of nails in my area (converted to 80-90 pounds) I still have to think about how much a set costs me to do, and then taxes and eventually VAT will make a dent in it too, so you will have to work out all that based on the price you charge and expenses.
I took my exam 3 months ago (CND Brisa gel), and I can see it becoming a viable source of income, I am as busy as I can be right now (I limit myself to part time due to health reasons at the moment). Some weeks I have less, some more. Whether you will have the same luck probably will depend on where you live, how you show off your work and your marketing strategy etc. :) I live in a town where there aren't that many serious nail techs, which helps. I live on the countryisde and turned my spare bedroom into a little nail studio just like you want to do, so depending on the rules regarding this where you live, that's something I can recommend in the beginning. It's really nice to have a little studio at home. Good luck ! :D

Latest posts

Back