Newbie needing colour advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachlawts

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to the site n also new to hairdressing, well attempting to be!
I've recently qualified n I'm doing a bit of mobile, but I'm still lacking in confidence, especially when it comes to Colours. I have been asked by a client for some high n lowlights, she's got virgin hair and is a natural red, I've post a pic below.
In college we used xp100 and so that's the colour chart I'm working from. I basically wanting reassurance to use maybe 9-3 and a 7,00as I'm thinking she's about 8. Or can I just use bleach to highlight?

Sorry if these seems obvious to everyone think I'm over analysing!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 448
Is that a picture of what she wants or what she has?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for gettin back to me,

No this is her actual hair.

I wouldn't use 9.3 as her hair is already got a warm tone, I'd personally use bleach and 3% to lift slowly to a nice clean blonde, have u showed her any colours on consultation to see what sort of low lights she's looking for?

I'm meeting her tomorrow for consultation n skin test, but she's askin for recommendations n suggestions.

This is prob a more up to date pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 346
It's already a beautiful colour I would suggest some lighter bits through, so looks sun kissed, I wouldn't add low lights personally x

Thanks for that advice, I wasn't sure bout low lights either, so might c if I can talk her out of it!

I was also debating using wella blondor rather than bleach, advised it was gentler, any thoughts?

Wella blondor is bleach. It's very gentle, use with pastel developer or 6% for your highlights

I'm meeting her tomorrow for consultation n skin test, but she's askin for recommendations n suggestions.

This is prob a more up to date pic

Has she tried to lift out some old colour, hence the gold or? But yes I second the bleach highlights and toner all over, wouldn't put any dark through unless she really wants them. Post an after pic :) Xx

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you highlight natural red hair you can lose a level of lift with your chosen product - it can be more stubbon to lift. So you could use either a stronger developer or highlift shade.

When you lift you will expose twice as much warmth as you would normally have so this can make the highlights look evan more subtle, so using a lightener such as blondor is a good choice if she wants to see a lighter "blonde" highlight, rather than a softer shimmer of gold.

If you want to add a deeper lowlight, use a demi-permanent. It will give you a better coverage without exposing more warmth. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If you highlight natural red hair you can lose a level of lift with your chosen product - it can be more stubbon to lift. So you could use either a stronger developer or highlift shade.

When you lift you will expose twice as much warmth as you would normally have so this can make the highlights look evan more subtle, so using a lightener such as blondor is a good choice if she wants to see a lighter "blonde" highlight, rather than a softer shimmer of gold.

If you want to add a deeper lowlight, use a demi-permanent. It will give you a better coverage without exposing more warmth. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Off topic a second sorry, when low lighting natural red hair would you just use only a base e.g. 6/0 instead of 6/7 to not add any extra warmth?? X

Has she tried to lift out some old colour, hence the gold or? But yes I second the bleach highlights and toner all over, wouldn't put any dark through unless she really wants them. Post an after pic :) Xx

Also just re-read it's virgin hair sorry!! Xx

Thanks so much for all your help.

Can anyone recommend a good toner to use?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Can anyone recommend a good toner to use?

Maybe igora royal pastels 9,5-1 with 3% oxidant, or igora vibrance demi 9,5-1 with 2.8% oxidant. Watch development closely.

Heard that Dialight pastel toners, or Majirel 9.02 is good. Depends on how warm the highlights turn out.

I have used Luo Colour P01 on bleached hair with good results. Apply the pastel toner quickly, and again, watch development closely to avoid the possibility of an ash tone overload.

:)

Thanks very much everyone. X

I'd probably go for 10-1 with 9% and then 8-0 with 3%

Sent from my C1905 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ned. From looking at her hair n consultation think I'm gonna stick with blondor, n because I'm not too speedy on the foils I'm goin to go with 6% n leave a little longer, rather than 9%.

We definitely not goin for lowlights now, n she doesn't want too white blonde, so going to do highlights really fine, n may not use toner at all.

That's my plan so far anyway! Think too much worrying n lack of confidence has got me in a tizz!

Ok I did it! Stuck to my plan n I'm pleased with it, n more importantly so was she. Just need to speed up now! Honest comments pls! XImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400793589.556565.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400793600.780999.jpg

Latest posts

Back