Newbie not confident help !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spreston79

Reaction score
well i qualifed last year for manicure/gel/acrylic nails......and surprise our tutor was crap....to cut a long story short we all thought we knew what we was doing.....tutor became pregnant and had to leave 2 weeks before we due to end.....we spent sep to jan learning about manicures and then started to learn about gel/acrylics after this...was not long enough !

i had the products we used from college but they are crap...(gel/high shine uv cracks etc etc)

when the tutor left it became very apparaent that we really hadn't learnt that much at all....well maybe i'm being abit unfair...but our stand in tutor couldn't believe what we were doing and it was too late for us to leran as we werepreparing our portfolios...the latter tutor was watching me doing a nail and i could get the egding right and she was trying to teach me in haste (about the blending and holding a file the correct way etc etc....she was lovely and i soon realised with the other people in the class that we had been duped.....i'm finding this a common problem just when i briefly looked on here...i was very disappointed and quite honestly haven't done much since..just messed about with the products i had left over and that was that...spent alot of money on a course..but now not sure what to do.

on speck last week i got my nails done from a lady that was setup in our local shopping centre as i was going away for the weekend,and my nails look fantastic !!

it has inspired me to go back and practise my nails etc

now the lady put white tips on as my nails as they were quite short and then a pink acrylic over the top....up to this point i understood exactly what she was doing and then she filed off what she needed with the electric drill ( we learnt to do this manually in college and i've yet to get one and can't wait cause it so much better/quicker!)

what i am not sure about is she then but a clear liquid on top ..let it dry for a few seconds....completed the nail art i choose....and then put another clear layer on top (i presume some sort of fixer/high shine...not sure)

..now what was the 1st clear liquid she used and what was the second.....no UV light was used and she put my hands under a dryer and presto then were done in half an hour and i paid £21.

we learnt nothing of this at college...all i had was some very poor 'high shine uv liquid to put on top and then set with the uv..but this always cracks..poor cheap quailty

i would like to buy the correct things but i have no idea what they are called and unfortunaly i couldn't see anything on the bottles she used as it had come off....and felt abit cheeky asking.

feel really stupid for asking but i really do not have any idea.

please can someone help, what do you use/what is it called etc

Sylvina :irked::sad:

Wow, that sounds like a big old mess!

Firstly, I would recommend you contact the college and express your concerns with their program. Do it soon, but write out everything you want to say, that way you won't get emotional or really angry when speaking to them. I don't know how much you spent on the course, but regardless, you should have gotten proper training, and you didn't.

I would also recommend you have the other tech's in your class contact the college too. That way they realize it's not just you feeling that way.

I do have a few questions for you, though, mostly out of my own curiosity.

Why was your manicure course so long? Was it one day a week, or five days? That seems a very long time to learn natural nail manicures.

Did you go to an NSS for these acrylics? You said in the mall, but with culture differences and stuff, I'm not sure what that means. The price also seems quite low, so that's another reason I'm guessing it was an NSS. They tend to use no-name, low-quality products.

The polish they used sounds like a simple sealant that air dries to me.

Anyways, I hope you take my advice and express your concerns to your college, and get the other students to as well. If you've "graudated" and gotten your certificates, I doubt they will give you your money back. Without knowing your financial situation, I would have to recommend training with a more reputable company that uses high-quality products.

:hug:

thanks for replying.

yes...we did complain in a letter as a class and we got an apology..but that was it !!

but yes from sep -jan we leart manicure, the heath and safefy (which of course you would expect), the structure of the nail etc..but yes it felt so rushed then to do the learning of acrylic and gel but we never learnt othre the the 'high shine' product that we were given in our kits what to put on after we had done..it this is rubbish.

i agree wit what you said about the cultural difference and they prob did use cheaper products etc but it inspired me/and made me cross that i have spent so much on a course and not really learnt what product are out there.

but thank you again for replying i will have to do more reading up again i think and possible may go on a small course to re-learn

cheers
syl
x

Latest posts

Back