Newbie prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

first class

Reaction score
Hi just qualified with young nails and was wanting to know when i start charging wha t are the average prices for acrylic? Sometimes it takes me two and half hours to put a set on. I have never used the high gloss gel before do you swipe the nail after buffing the nail before putting gel on ? Sorry about all the questions but so nervous did anyone else feel like this when started ?:lol:

Hi just qualified with young nails and was wanting to know when i start charging wha t are the average prices for acrylic? Sometimes it takes me two and half hours to put a set on. I have never used the high gloss gel before do you swipe the nail after buffing the nail before putting gel on ? Sorry about all the questions but so nervous did anyone else feel like this when started ?:lol:

Hi there well done for qualifying but dont for get to keep learning! :) I wouldnt worry about your timing at all...I can easily take longer that....infact I can go for hours and hours and hours if I dont keep an eye on the time!
Im not sure specifically about the Young Nails Gel system but with Brisa the top gloss can only be applied to an oil free dust free 180 grit surface.

Everytime my phone goes....everytime I do a set of nails, etc etc I feel like im actually sat in a job interview!...and when I leave Im terrified the nails wont last 5 minutes!....so yes I definately get nervous!! lol

and with regards to prices my advise would be to look at all the price lists for nails in your area...decide the average price...then decide on a price list that you would ideally like to charge yourself once your up to scratch with everything....do not undervalue yourself or be scared of the competition by putting your prices lower than theirs...just dont go down that route...there will always be someone cheaper than you...then whilst your starting out offer your services at an introductory rate of say 20 or 25 % off...do it for a limited time...if you still feel you dont want to charge full prices then do an offer again of say 10 or 15 % off. see what I mean?

hiya

I agree with Anna

Timing - mine was 2.5hrs for my first full of nails - until you find the right product that suits your clients nail and technique - then it will get easier.
My timing is still around 1.5 - 2hrs - some members of family tease me about it but when you have a client who is chatting away and chilling it doenst matter too much - unless you have a client afterwards

pricing - i looked at professional salons, NSS and found out prices for back alley / in my back living room prices and came up with average and i put down qualifed professional on my advertising material - as you are and it should be known what people are paying for.

at times like now in "recession" you may need to drop your prices as some unqualified people are doing nails for £5 a set when i would normally charge £30 - i have had to cut down to £20 and at times do a promo for £10 a set

- sorry i dont want to put you off or worry you - but you def need to research and then average up your prices.

i hope that was of some help .....

hiya

I agree with Anna

Timing - mine was 2.5hrs for my first full of nails - until you find the right product that suits your clients nail and technique - then it will get easier.
My timing is still around 1.5 - 2hrs - some members of family tease me about it but when you have a client who is chatting away and chilling it doenst matter too much - unless you have a client afterwards

pricing - i looked at professional salons, NSS and found out prices for back alley / in my back living room prices and came up with average and i put down qualifed professional on my advertising material - as you are and it should be known what people are paying for.

at times like now in "recession" you may need to drop your prices as some unqualified people are doing nails for £5 a set when i would normally charge £30 - i have had to cut down to £20 and at times do a promo for £10 a set

Not that I have a wealth of knowledge and experience to back this up but I personally believe that this is what you shouldnt do..even 'in times like these'...the clients that you really want are the ones that can afford it recession or no recession...that will keep coming back on a regular basis and are not necessarily dictated by finances...dropping your prices to 'cheap' prices will only attract the 'one off' clients...it will not likely attract the clients that will appreciate a proffessional service and keep coming back for more.

Recession or not...women will always spend money on themselves especially if it boosts their confidence and self-esteem and makes them feel better about themselves.

I think with regards to your price list..if you have made a decision and you believe it is right then you should stick to your guns and not buckle under the pressure when you see that someone else is much cheaper than you.

Hi

I am very new also. I rent a table in a hair dressers and do a little mobile also. I made the big mistake at the start of offering cheap prices - just to get clients and on the well meaning advice of the salon owner. These clients never came back and just went to who in the area had the cheapest at the time. It got to a point where i would not even bother asking if they wanted to book for their maintenance appointment. Ok I am new and needed to get the experience but undervalued what i could do. I now charge £25 for a set and £18 for maintenance and I generally take 1.5 hours to do a set depending on the client and the same for a maintenance as I cant quite understand how you can do these quicker but hey ho I will learn and I understand as my first application improves then so will the time this takes!! - the cheapest in the area is £10 and the most expensive is £37 - £40. I do £17 for a basic manicure £24 for a luxury add £5 for a ped etc. It is hard but I now have 4 regular (not walk ins!) clients with appointments every two weeks - booked through until christmas - I know it doesnt sound a lot but this will build and I have two appts booked in from these which are recommendation from these ladies which I know will be another 2 clients every two weeks. I am doing halloween displays and preparing my christmas ones already - not to offer discounts but to add value and excitement - £2 £3 £4 per nail.
Hope this helps!

xxx

thanks everyone very much appreciated .

Latest posts

Back