Newbie Saying Hi And Looking For Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie-b

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the site and just wanted to introduce myself.

I've recently completed the Creative Foundation Course. I have done a few sets of L&P and have lined up a few more victims to try and get my practice in. At the moment I'm charging £5 a set, just to cover my costs, but I can't do that indefinitely as money is in very short supply:cry: I've not been particularly happy with my efforts to date however my "clients" seem pretty happy with them. In saying that however, none of them get their nails done regularly so I guess don't have anything to compare them with ... maybe just as well just now;)

I have been checking out the site tutorials to try and get some more ideas and they look really helpful. They have motivated me to get my trainer hand out to do a bit more practice! I would like to get some further info on a couple of points. I noticed on one of the tutorials re PREP - I know you etch the nail lightly to remove shine, however on the tutorial it said that etching wasn't needed as the products used would stick to the nail (I'm paraphrasing from memory so forgive me if I'm wrong). Does that mean I shouldn't be etching the nail? I was shown to use the Koala and etch lightly in the direction of nail growth. Am I doing that correctly?

I'm also really struggling with my smile lines (or should that be frown lines:irked: ). I know that much of it comes with practice ... and more practice, but if anyone could give me further tips I would be very grateful. I've also printed out the tutorial. I know I'm not getting my ratio right - it's either too wet or too dry. Also, how do you perfect the size of the bead? I tend to find that it's too small and I'm struggling to cover zone 1 adequately.

On some of the nails I've done so far I've found that the free edge has curled under or is a bit squint. The client has commented that that is how her nail grows naturally. How can I correct that? Is it happening because of the way I am placing the form? I am aiming to produce a natural looking nail, but if possible would like to improve on nature.

Another thing - when you fit the form, do you place it and stick the underneath together first before sticking down the sides? I was shown to do that but on the tutorial I thought it looked like the sides were being stuck first. Not sure if I'm just picking it up wrong or if it doesn't really make a difference.

I'm planning to do a set on a girl who has bitten nails, I know I should keep them shorter than she would probably like, but I wanted to check, do I need to get the form right up to the free edge? If so, how do I avoid the "ski jump" effect?

One last question .... honest:o but are there any tutorials on manicures for natural nails or does anyone know of any good sites where I could get some ideas?

I've ordered a book "The Encyclopedia of Nails" (at least I think that's what it's called) which I saw recommended here, which I hope will be a good source of information, but I'm keen to pick up on any additional information I can get my hands on!

Apologies for such a lengthy first post, but I seem to have sooooo many more questions than answers!

I look forward to reading your replies and I look forward to becoming a part of your friendly community :biggrin:

Julie

Hi,
Welcome To The Site, I Started By Charging £5 A Set After Completing My Creative Foundation Course, As Your Confidence Grows You Will Just Sense When The Time Is Right To Raise The Price Bit By Bit.i'm Sure You Will Be Fine Just Do As Many Sets As You Can Everyday And Night If Possible Because Practice Is The Only Way To Build Your Confidence.
You Said Your Client Was Happy? Dont Be So Hard On Yourself Im Sure You Made A Very Good Job. I Think Self Criticism Is Very Common Amongst Nail Techs . Good Luck
Suemxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Julie, Firstly I'd start by putting your prices up, I know you are only practising but there will come a day when your nails are a good standard and you are going to have to jump from £5 to say £30, that's a big jump. Will £5 cover your costs now?
I'm still learning also so we are in the same boat as are many others on here. I'm no expert so will leave yur Qs for the experts to reply to. I have recently purchased The encyclopedia of nails and wish I'd bought it ages ago, it's fantastic, complete with pictures of dry beads, wet, beads, perfect beads etc. so that should help you, it also covers your manicures.
Sue is right practice, practice, practice but it sounds like you are already doing that.
Is there any way you could sit and watch a pro at work? I di that the other week (THANKYOU RAQUEL) and believe me I picked up loads of info and have cut my time down also as I was doing unneccesary things.
Sorry I couldn't help but someone will be along soon to help.

Why not try a one-2-one with a Qualified Trainer?

This will help you with your problem areas... so far I have had 3 of these sessions over the last 6 months to help correct my smile lines, ratio mix and zoning...

If you trained with creatvie why not call them and see what course they recommend...Education its a lifelong task...

Hth..

thanks guys .... is there anyone in the Edinburgh area who would mind if I came along and observed them?

Latest posts

Back