Newly qualified in extensions, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xx-melo-xX

Reaction score
I am doing an offer where my first 6 fittings will be free excluding price of the hair meaning I would get the hair from my chosen supplier and the client pays for it (in advance hopefully!)
But I've got a lady that would like me to fit her own extension hair that she's had in before, she hasn't said much about them except that they're remy which doesn't tell me much really.... If the hair is still in good condition (will check at consultation) do you think I should go ahead and fit them? Or only fit extensions on clients where I have provided the hair? Worried the hair is gonna be crap which will give me a bad rep :-/

Hi. 90% of clients provide their own hair. When I get mine done I buy my own hair, however, you can steer them away from it. Persuade them, ask them where they got it from, what grade is it etc, explain that cheap hair extensions will not last. Hopefully they listen. And also stress as you are fitting them in, so they know its not your work. X

Hi. 90% of clients provide their own hair.

You really shouldn't quote a statistic as a universal FACT unless you have evidence to back up the statement.

I suspect you perhaps meant that in your experience of your own client base, a significant proportion provide their own hair.

In my limited experience, I find the opposite is more likely, in that a large proportion of Extensionists prefer to provide the hair just for the reasons you explained.

Hi. 90% of clients provide their own hair. When I get mine done I buy my own hair, however, you can steer them away from it. Persuade them, ask them where they got it from, what grade is it etc, explain that cheap hair extensions will not last. Hopefully, they listen. And also stress as you are fitting them in, so they know its not your work. X
Hi, I would get them to sign a disclaimer before you fit the hair. Also, I would not fit the hair for free, you are not a charity. Maybe offer to fit with a discount.

We never fit hair (or indeed remove anyone elses work) that has been supplied by a client. They are a walking ad for your work - if you supply and fit hair you are confident in then you can be sure that the client will be a positive reflection of your work. Fitting hair that you do not have any experience of, which then subsequently ends up in a dreadful state, will not reflect well on you. All anyone will ask of the person wearing that poor hair is - where did you get your hair extensions fitted?
It can be difficult to walk away from potential work, but in our experience a regular client base is built with people who are quite happy to have you always supplying the hair.

We never fit hair (or indeed remove anyone elses work) that has been supplied by a client. They are a walking ad for your work - if you supply and fit hair you are confident in then you can be sure that the client will be a positive reflection of your work. Fitting hair that you do not have any experience of, which then subsequently ends up in a dreadful state, will not reflect well on you. All anyone will ask of the person wearing that poor hair is - where did you get your hair extensions fitted?
It can be difficult to walk away from potential work, but in our experience a regular client base is built with people who are quite happy to have you always supplying the hair.
Thankyou, that was my thoughts on it too I don't want to get a bad reputation before I even begin lol! X

Hi, I would get them to sign a disclaimer before you fit the hair. Also, I would not fit the hair for free, you are not a charity. Maybe offer to fit with a discount.
Only reason I am fitting my first 6 for free is just because I have only just qualified so want to build up more confidence before someone pays me :)

Hi. 90% of clients provide their own hair. When I get mine done I buy my own hair, however, you can steer them away from it. Persuade them, ask them where they got it from, what grade is it etc, explain that cheap hair extensions will not last. Hopefully they listen. And also stress as you are fitting them in, so they know its not your work. X
Nope id say more like 10% and in my shop it's 0%

I only fit extensions I purchase from reputable suppliers. Make sure your client wears good quality hair not some cheap silicone covered hair from ebay which after two washing looks like a horse tail:eek:

I supply hair too, but a lot of my clients (in my experience) get their hair from other companies. I supply very good quality hair, but some customers won't pay the price. I inform them beforehand, and advise against it. Never had a complaint as the hair I put in is firmly and neatly put in place.

Good hair, you pay more, which is acceptable because its good quality and lasts longer. Unfortunately clients think they can get it cheaper, but quality is not as good. Im just going on my experience. Xx

I have only fit 10 clients so far (and had various refits with them) they all went with the hair from the suppliers I use. I will (if asked) fit hair that someone else has provided but I always try and steer them towards using one of my suppliers as I know what the hair is like. I would always write on instagram or social media that 'client has provided own hair' and would also get them to sign on the consultation form that they provided the hair. It's a worry that if someone buys cheap hair, it looks crappy and then they get asked when they got their extensions done! x

Good idea emlou xx

I only fit extensions I purchase from reputable suppliers. Make sure your client wears good quality hair not some cheap silicone covered hair from ebay which after two washing looks like a horse tail:eek:

Hi can you please recommend to me the suppli region you use ? I'm lookIng for someone reputable that supplies high quality remy ? Xx

Hi can you please recommend to me the suppli region you use ? I'm lookIng for someone reputable that supplies high quality remy ? Xx

Type error sorry.. What supplier do you use ? Xx

Hello,I use Glamlox hair extensions for my middle range and hair planet for budget x

Hello,I use Glamlox hair extensions for my middle range and hair planet for budget x

Are hair planet single drawn or double? X

I am doing an offer where my first 6 fittings will be free excluding price of the hair meaning I would get the hair from my chosen supplier and the client pays for it (in advance hopefully!)
But I've got a lady that would like me to fit her own extension hair that she's had in before, she hasn't said much about them except that they're remy which doesn't tell me much really.... If the hair is still in good condition (will check at consultation) do you think I should go ahead and fit them? Or only fit extensions on clients where I have provided the hair? Worried the hair is gonna be crap which will give me a bad rep :-/
Hey :), i would stick to the one supplier and brand as its too risky when you dont know where they came from. you could run into all sorts of problems if her extensions have problems down the line. I currently use russain hair, its amazing! you can buy it online from hairspray ireland. Oh and why are you doing them for free :o.. at least charge for your time.

Agree with above plus never remove someone elses's work if they have damaged clients hair you will get the blame.

Latest posts

Back