Newly qualified nail technician problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xelliex

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a problem..Im a newly qualified nail technician as of last year. I have been practicing to build up my confidence and ability despite not having many people to actually practice on. I'm desperate to go mobile and get out of my nightmare job and into the one of my dreams. However, I've been reading meany threads on here and I think it maybe a good idea to get some experience first.

Here's the problem - I can't seem to get any. There are either no positions available or I don't fit the criteria (experience and type of qualification desired).

Also, the majority of nail places in my area are really cheap and use illegal products - so I wouldn't want to work for them anyway.

I'm at a lost, I don't know what to do? I feel trapped :(

I qualified with next step beauty - full nail technician course.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you xxx

The scenario you describe is common. I would recommend that you apply to some spas as they always need people. Not all offer nails but if they do you could be in with a chance.

Where do you feel your standard is at?

Definitely apply to local spas and salons. Explain that you are recently qualified. You could also use facebook to advertise for models charging a minimal amount to just cover costs. This way you can build up your portfolio and gain confidence until you either are ready to take the plunge and go it alone charging full price or you have more experience to offer salons.

Good luck, we all had to start somewhere xx

I'm on the same boat and for different reasons cannot leave my day job. I've for the last two months started taking things more seriously, prepped a room in the house and started doing friends on a regular basis. As soon as possible I'll leave my job. But that is only going to be possible by end of year. So in the meantime I'm getting as many friends and coworkers as I can that can put up with my timings but still pay me and appreciate the detailed professional results I manage to put out.
Don't give up, go into every place you can find, work on your free time if you must. Good things happen to the ones who hustle! :D

Latest posts

Back