Nightmare with hair extension supplier

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Needing some advice!
I fitted a set of blonde hair extensions back in December.. The lady had been to Australia, and after a week the hair had turned orange/peach colour!! It was HORRENDOUS!! Anyway, to cut a very long story short -she was VERY unhappy and in tears, as she had payed almost £500 for hair and fitting.
We removed the extensions in January, once we had reopened after Christmas, and sent them away to our supplier for inspection.. They are blaming sun cream, but our lady is insisting she wore her hair up in a bun when sun cream was on her body..
They won't offer our client a refund/or a new batch of hair -and now have completely stopped responding to our emails. We haven't had a reply in 3weeks and they still have our clients hair!!

Where do I stand with this?
We have had a couple of issues with their hair in the passed few months, it's a very upsetting situation to be in, as we have spent a substantial amount of money with them over the years..

I have attached images of when we first applied the hair, and after the hair had changed colour.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455545580.982888.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455545612.883814.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455545649.072494.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455545680.657168.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455545760.319131.jpg

Last edited:
oh my good thats awful! What brand was it? Can you test it by ordering a little more and putting sun cream on it? Then you can rule that out and prove it to the supplier? I have gone swimming with my hair extensions, obviously in a bun, but the hair still gets wet, but they have never changed colour! x

oh my good thats awful! What brand was it? Can you test it by ordering a little more and putting sun cream on it? Then you can rule that out and prove it to the supplier? I have gone swimming with my hair extensions, obviously in a bun, but the hair still gets wet, but they have never changed colour! x

It's awful isn't it [emoji30][emoji30] .. That's a really good idea!! We have some of her hair left over that we didn't apply -I'll test the sun cream she was using on them!
Thank you!! X

I'll inbox you the brand X

Has anyone suggested the water she would have washed her hair in ?

Or did she swim in the sea ?

Has anyone suggested the water she would have washed her hair in ?

Our client said she washed her hair in the shower (in Australia) with a deep cleansing shampoo.
She went swimming in the sea/pool, but hair was up at all times.
We strongly advised her to wear hair up at all times when swimming on holiday as it was very light/blonde hair -which she said she followed.

Our supplier is adamant sun cream is the cause :/

Suncream can cause a chemical reaction to the hair which would cause discolouration, however I would say it is unlikely on your client as it appears to be ALL of the extensions. If it was suncream then you would see discolouartion in patches of the hair or in certain areas of the head. It is more than likely either the water that she has washed her hair in whilst on holiday or chlorinated water.

Something has definetely caused a chemical reaction with the hair and caused the discolouration. We would recommend using a Malibu C treatment, it is super cheap and works most of the time, use either the hard water or swimmers sachets. The hair has discoloured pretty badly though so it may not work, if it does though then it should remove the chemical that is reacting with the hair and the colour should go back to as it was before, or pretty close to it at least.

Suncream can cause a chemical reaction to the hair which would cause discolouration, however I would say it is unlikely on your client as it appears to be ALL of the extensions. If it was suncream then you would see discolouartion in patches of the hair or in certain areas of the head. It is more than likely either the water that she has washed her hair in whilst on holiday or chlorinated water.

Something has definetely caused a chemical reaction with the hair and caused the discolouration. We would recommend using a Malibu C treatment, it is super cheap and works most of the time, use either the hard water or swimmers sachets. The hair has discoloured pretty badly though so it may not work, if it does though then it should remove the chemical that is reacting with the hair and the colour should go back to as it was before, or pretty close to it at least.

Thank you!!
Unfortunately our client doesn't want the hair reapplied and wants a refund for the hair -she is very upset about the whole situation. We removed her hair almost 6 weeks ago and have only had 1 response email from the company, not offering any refund/option. Just simply blaming our client for wearing sun cream.... :/

I will be completely honest, we wouldn't refund or exchange the product as we advise against wearing hair extensions abroad as this can happen, but we have this on the back of the packets of all the hair we sell and in our terms and conditions. If the supplier doesn't warn/advise of this then I think you would have a good case to encourage them to refund/exchange the hair.

We have done quite a lot of research into discolouration and what actually causes it. Most of the time it is actually a chemical called Avobenzone, It’s an ingredient used in most sunscreen products for its UVA absorbtion and can be found in numerous other products also.

Did the supplier get sent the images in this thread? If so they should see that it is pretty obvious that it isn't sun cream that has caused the problem and likely chlorinated water or a chemical in the filtration system of the place your client was staying, unless your client purposely applied sun cream to all of her hair (unlikely...).

You would be best trying to contact the supplier again, maybe by telephone to try and resolve the issue.

I will be completely honest, we wouldn't refund or exchange the product as we advise against wearing hair extensions abroad as this can happen, but we have this on the back of the packets of all the hair we sell and in our terms and conditions. If the supplier doesn't warn/advise of this then I think you would have a good case to encourage them to refund/exchange the hair.

We have done quite a lot of research into discolouration and what actually causes it. Most of the time it is actually a chemical called Avobenzone, It’s an ingredient used in most sunscreen products for its UVA absorbtion and can be found in numerous other products also.

Did the supplier get sent the images in this thread? If so they should see that it is pretty obvious that it isn't sun cream that has caused the problem and likely chlorinated water or a chemical in the filtration system of the place your client was staying, unless your client purposely applied sun cream to all of her hair (unlikely...).

You would be best trying to contact the supplier again, maybe by telephone to try and resolve the issue.

Thank you, I appreciate your honesty!
I spoke to the company when our discoloured client was in for removal -they said they had recently in the summer months discovered sun cream was discolouring lighter colours.. But they had never informed me of this.
They said they had put it onto their website -problem is I never use their website. I order solely over the phone or go to their workshop (which they are aware of)
They have no terms/conditions/aftercare with their hair -just the hair simply tied into up into a bag with a receipt.

I sent another email Friday, giving them 14 days to respond. I'll stick out the 14 days, if there is no response I will call them.

Thank you for your help and advice!

And yes the company received all of the images of our clients hair x

Yes suncream can discolour extensions and so can chlorine ext which is why the suppliers advise not to wear abroad.

I always advise my clients not to wear their extensions abroad and if they do its at their own risk. But I always find this a bit silly as quite a few clients have questioned me 'but what about in the US and Australia... loads of people wear them there' which is true and I couldn't think of an answer lol!

Anyway as said above something has caused a chemical reaction and as said above when my clients extensions have turned peachy on holiday it's been a few strands not the whole head.

I was also told in my training when the hair gets burnt it goes orange or peach.... not sure how true this is. Could the sun have burnt the hair?

Did she use any type or oil or serum? One of my clients applied oil to her hair and immediately straightened and it went orange where it had basically fried the oil x

Yes suncream can discolour extensions and so can chlorine ext which is why the suppliers advise not to wear abroad.

I always advise my clients not to wear their extensions abroad and if they do its at their own risk. But I always find this a bit silly as quite a few clients have questioned me 'but what about in the US and Australia... loads of people wear them there' which is true and I couldn't think of an answer lol!

Anyway as said above something has caused a chemical reaction and as said above when my clients extensions have turned peachy on holiday it's been a few strands not the whole head.

I was also told in my training when the hair gets burnt it goes orange or peach.... not sure how true this is. Could the sun have burnt the hair?

Did she use any type or oil or serum? One of my clients applied oil to her hair and immediately straightened and it went orange where it had basically fried the oil x

Interesting! Our client has emailed us the sun cream she was using in Australia, so I'm going to test some of the hair with it ASAP!
Yes we advise our clients to use oil on the mids/ends, so she would of used oil on it definitely -To my understanding she was wearing it up or in plaits most of the holiday as it was hot! I'm unsure how many times she would of used heat/straighteners on the hair itself x

Needing some advice!
I fitted a set of blonde hair extensions back in December.. The lady had been to Australia, and after a week the hair had turned orange/peach colour!! It was HORRENDOUS!! Anyway, to cut a very long story short -she was VERY unhappy and in tears, as she had payed almost £500 for hair and fitting.
We removed the extensions in January, once we had reopened after Christmas, and sent them away to our supplier for inspection.. They are blaming sun cream, but our lady is insisting she wore her hair up in a bun when sun cream was on her body..
They won't offer our client a refund/or a new batch of hair -and now have completely stopped responding to our emails. We haven't had a reply in 3weeks and they still have our clients hair!!

Where do I stand with this?
We have had a couple of issues with their hair in the passed few months, it's a very upsetting situation to be in, as we have spent a substantial amount of money with them over the years..

I have attached images of when we first applied the hair, and after the hair had changed colour.

View attachment 194361

View attachment 194362

View attachment 194363

View attachment 194364

View attachment 194365

You're not alone.. I had the same problem with one of my blonde clients last summer! Such a nightmare and disappointment as the supplier just made excuses. I took it upon myself to do some in-depth research and found that in fact the orange tone is most likely due to the iron content in the water! My client was in Faliraki and Vegas. Can you Pm me the suppliers name please I'm intrigued to see if its the same!

I know the person wants a refund however, this happened to one of my clients I used Malibu c crystal gel and it worked amazing to remove the orange/pink tone!

Hi,

Please can you pm me the supplier too. Thank you.

Can you pm me the supplier too please, thanks :)

What is the supplier does anyone no x

I'd like to know the name of the supplier too, this happened to one of my clients last year and she wasn't abroad! was fobbed off by the supplier... please can you pm me xx

Latest posts

Back