No shows driving me mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you text her - I would have
Probably something along the following lines:
Hello, you were due for a 9am appointment today however even though I have texted and phoned you I have still have heard nothing.

Today I was due to have a day off with my family but as you couldn't do any other time I thought id try to help you out so I arranged child care I booked out that 3 hour slot to you.

So as you can imagine I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't heard anything from you and could have spent the day with my husband and young children on Xmas eve

I hope that you had just forgotten or were too busy and that something awful hasn't happened to either you or your family,

If you could please let me know either way to put my mind at ease id be very appreciative

Merry Xmas and happy new year "

Well that's just me !!!! lol

I would most definitely text her saying what LieLash has suggested, it may sound "harsh" to some clients but we have a business to run and it's best to let clients like this know straight out because they could turn out to potentially be loyal clients but need to know your policies. xx

That's right Elaine - if people think it's harsh then too bad, if they then want to bad mouth your business because you sent them a message that was built on facts then so be it. Any reasonable client would realise what they have done and be sorry.

One of my regulars arrived ten mins late the other day with her child so by the time she was sorted it was 15 mins. I pointed out that I thought she wasn't coming and if 5 mins later I would have had to turn her away. She looked at get watch and when oh ( don't think she realised how busy I was ) no problem at all she was very sorry !

A text of that nature is extremely unprofessional guys regardless of how annoyed you are. You should have taken a deposit for that day which is really your fault. Don't write childish texts to clients because you never thought about protecting your business. You will be bad mouthed for this. I sure would tell everyone how unprofessional the business was that sent me the text. ..and I can guarantee that everyone I spoke to probably wouldn't see it from your point of view! Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

A text of that nature is extremely unprofessional guys regardless of how annoyed you are. You should have taken a deposit for that day which is really your fault. Don't write childish texts to clients because you never thought about protecting your business. You will be bad mouthed for this. I sure would tell everyone how unprofessional the business was that sent me the text. ..and I can guarantee that everyone I spoke to probably wouldn't see it from your point of view! Xx

Good point virtues, but I do think what I would want to point out to a no show client is that I do need to be informed if they cannot make it. I personally wouldn't point out how out of my way I went for that specific client because it would look "desperate" but something along the lines of what LieLash has posted. To me it will need to be said, regardless if it's this time of the year or not because I find that they will keep repeating it. I was working for a very "high end" salon and my boss made sure she told her no shows and late clients that it isn't okay, it didn't seem unprofessional and she built a very successful salon. But yes I do agree, some things are better left unsaid and there is a line you can cross with how detailed your explanation can be.
But I guess each to their own! :) xx

I would have to say that I agree with this...

Texting to say "I could have been spending xmas eve with my husband and children", is a bit like saying "If you had turned up, I would have done your treatment but resented doing it the whole time!!"

I think it is important to keep a clear distinction between your personal life and professional work, and also bear in mind that it is possible something awful may have happened... But of course you should still contact the client preferably be phone/ leaving a voice mail.

The client in question was sent a reminder message the day before as standard. When she didn't arrive I called (twice) and left a voice mail stating she was booked in for an appointment at 9am and I hope she was alright. Could she please call back.
I worked last year with no problems so hadn't even thought about taking a deposit but if (big if) I work next year I will be definitely taking deposits. Ah well, rubbish but you live and learn.
And to top it all off I had a client FB message me this morning (yes xmas....) saying she was unhappy with a service I provided over a month ago?!? Uuugh. Not replying to work mail til Friday anyway!!! Merry Christmas everyone!! Xxx

The client in question was sent a reminder message the day before as standard. When she didn't arrive I called (twice) and left a voice mail stating she was booked in for an appointment at 9am and I hope she was alright. Could she please call back.
I worked last year with no problems so hadn't even thought about taking a deposit but if (big if) I work next year I will be definitely taking deposits. Ah well, rubbish but you live and learn.
And to top it all off I had a client FB message me this morning (yes xmas....) saying she was unhappy with a service I provided over a month ago?!? Uuugh. Not replying to work mail til Friday anyway!!! Merry Christmas everyone!! Xxx

That client who fb'd you on Xmas day was probably really peed off about something else, maybe family/partner Xmas related ( as usually happens to all of us) and had the mind set to take it out on you. Sack her and block her. Cow.

Gotta share this. I got a text today saying he'd seen my website but could I tell him how much X would cost………..clearly didn't read the website then.

I replied with 'Thanks for your text but it's still Christmas so I'll reply tomorrow. Have a great Boxing day' and he replied 'Is is!!! I better keep eating then. You have a lovely Boxing Day too. Call you tomorrow.'

Made me giggle.

Gotta share this. I got a text today saying he'd seen my website but could I tell him how much X would cost………..clearly didn't read the website then.

I replied with 'Thanks for your text but it's still Christmas so I'll reply tomorrow. Have a great Boxing day' and he replied 'Is is!!! I better keep eating then. You have a lovely Boxing Day too. Call you tomorrow.'

Made me giggle.

Hahaha this is quite friendly though!!

What works for is the following: I text the client to remind about the appointment 24 hours prior and ask to confirm attendance. I they don't confirm within 3-5 hours, I am sending the second message, stating that as I did not receive their confirmation, I am asking to confirm within 1 hour. If there still no reply, I will either call or text saying that as they did not confirm, the appointment is cancelled and will be offered to other clients.
Over 4 years of doing it I only had an unconfirmed booking turn up once and demand me to see her as she "had an appointment". I refused, explained that as I did not hear from her, I booked someone else in, but if she did reply and for technical reasons messages did not get though, I will find the space for her ASAP and give her a discount. Guess what? She was unable to show the messages supposedly sent to me.
This procedure helped me to save a lot of appointments from being wasted. This applies to all clients, even long-standing regulars. Most clients reply to the first message within an hour.

I would leave the bit about spending time with family, but would definitely inform about working when I am not supposed to and childcare costs.
A few years ago I had someone new book 3 appointments in the space of 3 weeks around this time of year. I just started to work for myself and was too exited to think about deposits.
She did not turn up for her first appointment, but then called to apologize as apparently something has happened. I did tell her that I paid for childcare to be able to accommodate her and will have to pay again for her next appointment. She was very apologetic and reassured me that this time she will keep her appointment. I gave her a benefit of doubt and was looking forward to her next appointment, to which she did not turn up either, as she was "still sorting Christmas presents". This really wound me up.
The third appointment was meant to be on the Boxing Day and I was supposed to travel to her place. I was so annoyed with the previous no-shows, that I decided just not show up.
Yes, I know that is very unprofessional, but I just could not help it. So, that person is calling me to ask where I was and I did reply with: "Boxing Day sales are too good to be missed, so I am still shopping". I am prepared to get a lot of stick from fellow geeks, but I was relieved that now she knows how it feels and probably it will think twice next time. I have no respect to people like that.
It did not affect my business in a negative way. And now I take deposits for anything over £ 40.

I would leave the bit about spending time with family, but would definitely inform about working when I am not supposed to and childcare costs.
A few years ago I had someone new book 3 appointments in the space of 3 weeks around this time of year. I just started to work for myself and was too exited to think about deposits.
She did not turn up for her first appointment, but then called to apologize as apparently something has happened. I did tell her that I paid for childcare to be able to accommodate her and will have to pay again for her next appointment. She was very apologetic and reassured me that this time she will keep her appointment. I gave her a benefit of doubt and was looking forward to her next appointment, to which she did not turn up either, as she was "still sorting Christmas presents". This really wound me up.
The third appointment was meant to be on the Boxing Day and I was supposed to travel to her place. I was so annoyed with the previous no-shows, that I decided just not show up.
Yes, I know that is very unprofessional, but I just could not help it. So, that person is calling me to ask where I was and I did reply with: "Boxing Day sales are too good to be missed, so I am still shopping". I am prepared to get a lot of stick from fellow geeks, but I was relieved that now she knows how it feels and probably it will think twice next time. I have no respect to people like that.
It did not affect my business in a negative way. And now I take deposits for anything over £ 40.

Lol. Sometimes just sometimes you need to give them a taste of their own medicine.

It depends on how professional you wish to be. I don't always have time to answer texts in the day, I can be in meetings so three texts in one day asking me to confirm an appointment would result in me losing my appointment and finding a therapist who once I had originally made the appointment with I wouldn't have to text confirmations back to! You will never stop no shows or cancellations, there are ways to reduce the risk I agree but in a sensible and professional manner surely.

It wouldn't suprise me if a few therapists send texts with. ..'I'm so upset you didn't attend your appointment today I'm actually crying writing this this text, you're a really nasty horrible person and I hate you'......awful. ha ha .. not for me sorry!

Never mix business and emotions - a recipe for disaster!

In situations like this (even if you don't want to) you have to rise above it all, people cancelling, being late, not turning up etc is part and parcel of what we do and you need to be able to handle it.

A client who doesn't value you or your business won't care if you had to arrange childcare or sit there and wait for them to turn up (or not).

I agree with everything balance andover has said xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I feel really mean for saying this and I don't mean it in an offensive way but I think it is challenging enough to make money in this industry without having to gamble the cost of childcare on whether a client will turn up or not. I've known similar to happen in employment in spas where colleagues have shelled out for a full day or more of non refundable childcare costs only to be sent home and have shifts cancelled due to it being quiet.

I think I would really struggle in this industry if I had to factor in the cost of children and childcare in general.

It depends on how professional you wish to be. I don't always have time to answer texts in the day, I can be in meetings so three texts in one day asking me to confirm an appointment would result in me losing my appointment and finding a therapist who once I had originally made the appointment with I wouldn't have to text confirmations back to!

I have very busy clients in meetings all day, a few high profile business people and an OBE.

They all know to confirm, otherwise they are losing their appointment. And no, they will not be able to find someone as good as me that easily. They tried when I was not available and were disappointed.

It does not take to text back with either "OK" or "Cant make it".

I also would not appreciate having to confirm attendance of an appointment I have made. I have made the appointment which is my confirmation so would resent being asked to re-confirm. I receive a reminder txt from my stylist 24 hours prior to appointment reminding me of appointment and asking to let him know if there if I am unable to attend for any reason. I think this is suitable and I would hate to think if I had a problem with my phone and for any reason did not receive txt that I would turn up and have no appointment. xx

I have very busy clients in meetings all day, a few high profile business people and an OBE.

They all know to confirm, otherwise they are losing their appointment. And no, they will not be able to find someone as good as me that easily. They tried when I was not available and were disappointed.

It does not take to text back with either "OK" or "Cant make it".

That's absolutely fine it is purely an opinion. Personally it is not something I would do. I have no problem with a text reminding me of my appointment, just not three of them and ones that I have to reply back to just to confirm an appointment I made. If I receive a confirmation text and I can not make that appointment then I would deal with it in the correct manner.... and as good as you think you are there are plenty of others around the corner who are of the same standards. I find your comments very modest, which is fine ..... but they can very quickly lead to complacency through self assurity!

Could you please point me out in the direction where it says that you have to confirm it three times?
I said that I will send 2nd and 3rd if there is no reply to the first and that the majority of clients will reply to the first message. Not a single client complained aboutt his awful inconvenience.
I am confident about my abilities and my statement is based on the loyal client's feedback. Both, mobile and salon services only get 4 and 5 stars on review websites. I only once got 3*. I also won an award, I think it says something.
I well aware of the standards "around the corner" as all competitors were researched and mysteryshopped and I ensured that my standards are high with afoordable price tag.

Latest posts

Back