No shows, last minute cancellations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Just wondering how you geeks deal with this. Basically I only work 3 days a week and I have enough trouble getting my regulars in because I get so booked up. Problem is, I'm always getting no-shows (new clients) and last minute cancellations when I've turned people away for these appointments. What can I do? I don't see how charging them will work. I have lot a lot of money this week with 2 last minute cancellations and 2 no shows in a row this morning. I'm so angry about it just wondering how others deal with this? Thanks in advance xx

Weve had a really weird week.
Lots of no shows or last min cancellations :-/

With no shows i call them and tell them theyve missed and they normally rebook.
If they do it more than once they get charged 50% of the service.
If they do it again they get charged 100% of the service but to be honest by that point they dont forget again!

As for last min cancellations its difficult.
If someones poorly or kids are poorly fair enough but a lady rang 5 mins before she was due in on the day before xmas ever for a colour and cut and blo dry and said she was still shopping so couldnt make it.She got charged at her next appointment!
x

I've had a no show today (hence me being on here now lol ) , best of it is she only booked yesterday tea time and came in to see me personally and book rather than ring or message me via fb .:twisted:

As a seller of Salon Software [SoftBooking] I suppose the logical question for me is do you send any SMS/Email reminders?

Out of interest, do salons find this helps?

last minute cancellations and no shows are just one of those things we have to put up with in our job. You will never eradicate them completely but there are ways you can keep them to a minimum.

Firstly, on my client record card, in the declaration that the customer signs it says they need to give 24 hours notice for cancellations or a cancellation fee may apply, and that if they fail to attend appointments without giving notice they may be charged the full price of the treatments they had booked. In practice though, what I do is this:

Send people a text the day before to confirm their appointments.

With a no show, I ring them. If they apologise, re-book etc I overlook it. If its clear they have just messed me around, I will not re-book them unless they pay a non refundable deposit up front. If this puts them off booking I dont care, if they genuinely wanted the appointment they wouldnt mind paying the deposit.

With late cancellations, I'm flexible, if its for a genuine reason like illness I accommodate them as much as I possibly can. If they are just messing me around I give them a warning that if it happens again I will have to charge them a late cancellation fee. If they then mess me around again I charge them 50% of whatever treatments they had booked and they have to pay this before they can book again. Same thing here too, if that puts them off re-booking I dont care, I'd rather they left the space in my appointment book for someone who's going to turn up to their appointments.

In practice I think I've been lucky, I've actually only ever had two clients who I've had to apply charges to for messing me around, the vast majority were genuine problems or oversights, and by just accepting these things as all part of the job, I've helped many clients and they have remained happy loyal clients because of it.

All that said, it doesnt make it any less frustrating when you have weeks where all you seem to get is no shows and cancellations! Just take it on the chin and carry on.

why not just introduce a new policy of always taking a 50% booking fee? that is if you have a card machine? I think this is a really good way of ensuring that you dont have any no shows and if you do you have something to show for it! xx

Thanks for all the advice! The owner of the salon is a bit sceptical about charging them. Maybe it's time to look at my consultation forms again? X

Latest posts

Back