No sleep for almost 2 years - ezcema help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola x

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am hoping someone can help. My daughter is two and has had ezcema since a baby. We have had various creams from the dr's and allergy clinic, nothing seems to work on a long term basis. Steroid cream works but only for the time we are using it. As soon as we stop its back again. Dr just prescribes a different cream and is no real help at all.
She is constantly waking up crying in the night scratching herself to the point where there is often blood on her sheets.
If anyone has used or knows of any alternative creams or remedies then I would really appreciate the advice.

I know of many people who have had success with Forever Living Aloe Vera drinking Gel and their Aloe Propolis Cream. Indeed the GP that now works for them in the UK only did so because a patient walked into his surgery telling him everything he prescribed didn't work for their child but these two products did. You can contact their head office on 01926 626600 for information.

I hope you find something soon.
Mat x

I'm a sufferer of this myself, I have to be careful of what products I can use on my skin, non bio washing powder or liquid, sensitive conditioners, moisturising baby bath, unperfumed oils.... I found oilatum cream and soap helped... Wear cotton pjs I'd cover her in a hydrocortisone cream and all in one pj onsie and cotton gloves on her hands to stop her itching hth xx

Skinny dip is a company that make eczema soothing creams also elave. Both not hugely expensive but have helped me x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

I don't have an children but I do get eczema a lot, as do a lot of my friends/ family. I found nothing really worked but my friend suggested a cream from neals yard, it's actually for babies, I can't remember what it's called- baby lotion I think? It worked a treat and it cleared my sisters eczema up too and a few other people. If you haven't already tried it, maybe pop in neals yard and see what they say? :) x

My two children had it for years.
Not a remedy but clothing ideas

Try the eczema clothing company.
They do long sleeve t shirts with mittens sewn in, so you can not scratch, it turns into a protective rub. Plus all labels are seen on the outside.
It helped my kids do much.
The best ointment I found was things containing chamomile essential oil. To soothe..
I am a qualified aromatherapist, but if you are not, please contact someone who is. Essential.oils are potent and are not to be played with.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Hi. My son also suffered so I feel your pain. If you google a company called "Scratch sleeves" they were an absolute life saver for us. They are basically mitts that stay on so it helps to stop the itch scratch cycle. Also you could try ointments instead of creams. I found that creams blocked the skin causing little spots which he itched even more.
I hope you get some sleep soon. Jade. Xx

I also wanted to add, a friend suggested Dermol 500 which is a bath additive and it also worked brilliantly for him. It is pretty expensive and the drs don't like to prescribe it but worth asking if you have tried oilatium etc and they haven't helped.
Jade. Xx

Dream Cream from Lush. Even some doctors recommend it now.

Oh I know what your going through my son had it from day dot and has cleared up so well since turning 5, I found dermol 500 and dermol 600 worked perfect for him, and also he wore wraps day and night for a while then just at night time now he doesn't need them at all:)

Finding what works best for you and you soon see a difference, all of this was prescribed from the doctor, the dermol has antibacterial in it so really helps with the healing from scratching plus keep nails as short as you possibly can :) x

Eve Taylor's borage cream has had excellent reviews for eczema, I use Salcura which is very good as well and is natural x

I second Dermol 500. I also use Balneum on prescription and Sudocrem - basic but it works.

Someone local to me started her natural skin care company after she'd seen her own daughter hospitalised with eczema that had cracked really badly.

I use her products for personal skincare, I thoroughly recommend you try some of her eczema products.

Eczema | Anousta Products Ltd 2013

The owner will consult on the phone if needed as everyone's different.

I use neals yard baby balm on my 6 year old whose suffered since birth. She too was prescribed steroid cream which I hated the idea of so sought out other options. I've tried products like oilatum & dermacare - both good but made no difference to stubborn patches. She has a persistent nasty patch that flares up occasionally underneath her eyes, this is the only thing that I've found to be gentle enough

My neighbours teenage son has also found this works.. She's a nurse & like you watched all kinds of other options fail

I'm not a fan of the brand but this does work. Best of luck in finding something for your little one x

Hi everyone.

I am hoping someone can help. My daughter is two and has had ezcema since a baby. We have had various creams from the dr's and allergy clinic, nothing seems to work on a long term basis. Steroid cream works but only for the time we are using it. As soon as we stop its back again. Dr just prescribes a different cream and is no real help at all.
She is constantly waking up crying in the night scratching herself to the point where there is often blood on her sheets.
If anyone has used or knows of any alternative creams or remedies then I would really appreciate the advice.

That could have been me writing that! My daughter has suffered eczema since the age of 6 months. Various creams and doctors visits didn't help much. At the age of 4 it became so bad that the skin behind her knees, armpits, crooks of her elbows and a patch on her neck became infected. We saw a new doctor and she prescribed anti biotics to fix the infection, 10 days with Fucibet on the worst areas and Epaderm as an emollient, then a further 10 days of something beginning with M (the name escapes me at the minute). She also recommended a spoon of Piriton every night before bed to ease the itching. I was also advised to not let her get too hot in bed so I changed her duvet to a very light summer one which she now uses all year round. Her skin totally cleared up, it was like a miracle! She is now 5 and her skin is the best it's ever been. I now use Aveeno as a daily moisturiser and if she gets a patch anywhere I use Fucibet for a couple of days and it clears it up pretty quickly. If I see her getting scratchy I give her a spoon of Piriton and it really helps.
I hope you get an answer that helps your wee one, eczema is a horrible thing, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Xx

My son had horrific eczema on his face as a child which resulted in mild scarring due to the steroids and scratching, we were recommended by a neighbour (who's son also suffered) Aveeno cream- it worked amazingly for both her son and mine- clearing within days.
We applied Aveeno 4+ times daily to begin with and then 2/3 daily once it was cleared.
Its fairly cheap but as it was the only thing we found that had ever worked the doctor then began prescribing it for us.

I wouldnt normally advise anything by johnsons but it was not one of their products until they bought the company about 3 years ago- so dont let it put you off.
I always have a bottle in the cupboard now in case of flare ups.

Fingers crossed you find something xx

^^^^second what said above we have terrible eczema in my family.
aveeno is great & if your dr is nice it is available on prescription, if notyou can get it in the chemist.
Have you tried surcare washing detergent too as its approved by eczema society?.
Final thing that works amazingly for us is goats milk. My parents brought a goat when we were kids. Luckily u can now buy it in supermarket.
Hugs xxx

I suffer from eczema. I use Oilatum Shower gel, Dove Shower Cream Oil. I've also used Cetaphil products which were successful too. I've found that over the years it's taken a bit of trial and error with products to find a good combination.

Hayfever definitely helps to reduce itching and pillows and duvets are anti-allergy products.

The eczema society has lots of free info and there is a listing of non medicated products which I will PM you with.

Thanks for all your advice. I will work my way through the prods and see which ones suit. Xx

Naturally Thinking is a wonderful company and there's two whole pages of products with the tag 'baby eczema' oils, butters, soaps - Naturallythinking Pure Aromatherapy and Spa - Search Results for "baby eczema"

They also have lots of SLS free bath, hair and body products - Naturallythinking Pure Aromatherapy and Spa - Search Results for ""sls free""

I've used lots of their products over the years and find them great for buying as a whole product, or mixing your own blends. Their salon size massage carrier oils are also great value starting at only £6 for a litre - http://www.naturallythinking.com/categories/Aromatherapy/Carrier-Oils/

Latest posts

Back