Sleep crying over dog that was put to rest

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairflair'xo

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I'm really sorry but this is going to be a sad post, I really need some help or just kind words :( some of you may remember I had my staffie put to sleep a few months back, she was so poorly and I hated to see her in pain, it was the kindest thing to do. She was like my baby, I absolutely idolised her! I think about her everyday, but began to think I was starting to get over her.
We got two lovely little kittens last week as we all agreed there was a void in our lives only a pet could fill, we couldn't face another dog, although I've started falling in love with them and I care about them very much, these last few nights I've been waking up in tears after dreaming about my dog, I feel so guilty as if I'm trying to replace her, I've realised I'm so not over her and I'm now missing her more than ever, I can't describe the emotional and even physical pain it's putting me in :( it makes me feel guilty towards the kittens too as it's not their fault, there an absolute joy but there not my baby girl. :(

Has anyone ever been through this themselves? I really don't know what to do I feel totally empty without her I just keep looking at her picture and crying!

From a very depressed geek xxx

You will never be able to replace your dog. You got 2 kittens instead of getting the exact same dog. They are a family member, it's a bond most people don't understand. You gave your dog the best life she could get and in her time of need you released her from pain and she will be up there in heaven thanking you for all the love you gave her. It gets easier but you'll never forget her and you will have sad moments. We are only human. Sending big hugs xxx

Please don't feel like you've replaced your dog, you have just opened up your home to two lucky kittens that will be given lots of love and affection.

Four weeks after our dog had to be put to sleep we got another puppy. I worried what people would think because we could never have replaced our precious dog, but we had a void in our heart and our home that needed to be filled.

That was 7 years ago and I still think about my old dog lots but I also know we have since given 2 dogs wonderful loving homes and that I should cherish the time me and my dog got to spend together as we were both very lucky!

It will get easier I promise xxxx

Hi geeks. I'm really sorry but this is going to be a sad post, I really need some help or just kind words :( some of you may remember I had my staffie put to sleep a few months back, she was so poorly and I hated to see her in pain, it was the kindest thing to do. She was like my baby, I absolutely idolised her! I think about her everyday, but began to think I was starting to get over her.
We got two lovely little kittens last week as we all agreed there was a void in our lives only a pet could fill, we couldn't face another dog, although I've started falling in love with them and I care about them very much, these last few nights I've been waking up in tears after dreaming about my dog, I feel so guilty as if I'm trying to replace her, I've realised I'm so not over her and I'm now missing her more than ever, I can't describe the emotional and even physical pain it's putting me in :( it makes me feel guilty towards the kittens too as it's not their fault, there an absolute joy but there not my baby girl. :(

Has anyone ever been through this themselves? I really don't know what to do I feel totally empty without her I just keep looking at her picture and crying!

It does get easier Hun. Losing a dog is like losing a family member you will always miss them and they can't be replaced. One of my dogs got put down 9 years ago and I still miss her. My nanas dog died about 12 years ago and we all still miss him. I used to nearly burst into tears every time I saw a border collie ( that was the breed we had). We all have other dogs now and their personalities are completely different and they aren't the same breeds. I don't feel like we've replaced our old dogs just got new ones. Think of it this way if you lost a family member and someone in the family had a baby is the baby replacing the family member? It's hard but you will get to a stage where you miss him but it doesn't hurt the same. Try to enjoy your cats you have given them a good home and they are lucky. Keep your chin up. *hugs* xxx

Thankyou all, I really appreciate it. I guess it will just take some time xxx

I have had and lost many animals and i tell you it gets harder every time, but it never stops me getting another. Because you have given that dog the best life possible and did the best for them in the end. In time you will begin to replace tears with happy memories. Getting kittens is not replacing them, its your chance to give them a happy life too.

Big hugs from a fellow animal lover :hug:

I'm going to have to put my cavalier to sleep sometime after Xmas, I'm not looking forward to it at all but know it has to be done as she has SM and it won't get any better she is already on steroids now so that's the last step in the medication for her. I love her like my child she is 4 years old.
I feel for you and I'm sure I'll be the same, time will hopefully make it a little easier but you'll never forget your gorgeous pets.

My heart goes out to you Hairflar'XO and anyone who has gone through this.

We had to put down our beloved Mimi Kitty in March. It's one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do but it was the right thing to do.

We had Mimi cremated and have her ashes in a beautiful urn. When she was returned to us, the crematorium included this poem on a bookmark. It has gotten me through many sad days/nights. I hope it gives you some comfort, too! :hug:

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of Heaven is a place called
Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially
Close to someone here, that pet goes to
Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our
Special friends so they can run and play
Together. There is plenty of food, water
And sunshine, and our friends
Are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old
Are restored to health and vigor; those who
Were hurt or maimed are made whole and
Strong again, just as we remember them in
Our dreams of days and times gone by. The
Animals are happy and content, except for
One small thing; they miss someone very
Special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day
Comes when one suddenly stops and looks into
The distance. His bright eyes are intent; His
Eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run
From the group, flying over the green grass,
His legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted and when you and
Your special friend finally meet, you cling
Together in joyous reunion, never to be parted
Again. The happy kisses rain upon your face;
Your hands again caress the beloved head,
And you look once more into the trusting eyes
Of your pet, so long gone from your life but
Never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

~Authon Unknown~

I've lost both my mini dachshunds (one 2 years ago, and his brother earlier this year). I remember being really depressed when my Hobbes died. I had them since they were babies. They've traveled with me all over the US and all the way to the UK... they were really like my children so it was really hard. Couple months passed and I decided it was time to move on. I had Calvin for 16 years and Hobbes 18 years so I felt at peace knowing I gave both of them a a good home and they lived really long lives. I have 4 fancy goldfish now (and I LOVE them to pieces), and I don't really feel like I'm replacing my "little old men" at all. My memories of them will always be with me.

I'm going to have to put my cavalier to sleep sometime after Xmas, I'm not looking forward to it at all but know it has to be done as she has SM and it won't get any better she is already on steroids now so that's the last step in the medication for her. I love her like my child she is 4 years old.
I feel for you and I'm sure I'll be the same, time will hopefully make it a little easier but you'll never forget your gorgeous pets.

By SM do you mean Syringomyelia? I really feel for you thats a horrific condition. I have a cavalier, shes now 12, which is amazing for a cavalier, but she has a heart problem with them being so inbred they suffer from horrible conditions! So sorry for you :hug::cry::cry:

By SM do you mean Syringomyelia? I really feel for you thats a horrific condition. I have a cavalier, shes now 12, which is amazing for a cavalier, but she has a heart problem with them being so inbred they suffer from horrible conditions! So sorry for you :hug::cry::cry:

Yes she has syringomyelia, she is 4 next week. We are on diff meds and she's now having the odd accident. Such a shame she is such a good natured little girl ❤️❤️🐶❤️❤️. It's a cruel world sometimes

It will get easier hun xx remember you gave your dog the best home possible and did the right thing when the pain got too much xxx

There's no need in the slightest to feel any guilt what's so ever for trying to fill a void by getting the kittens.
Any pet lover will understand that!

My cat died a few years ago at a young age For a cat, and I cried myself to sleep for a week ( no exaggeration)
It's heartbreaking for any pet owner but it's always better to know you loved her and gave her a great life and Enjoy the memories.
Time will help xxxx

I've also got a cavalier. He's 17! He's amazing but I'm also going to have to let him go soon...I know he's struggling and I don't want him to suffer. We had his brother put to sleep 2 years ago when he was 11. He had the heart condition and it was awful.

We had Ollie put to sleep we had him cremated and his ashes are in a beautiful pot in the garden with a gorgeous rose called 'Sweet Dreams' growing over him.

The one thing we can do for our 4 legged family members, that we can't do for our 2 legged ones, is allow them a dignified death with the people that love them most by their side.

When we offer another animal a loving family home, it doesn't mean we're forgetting our other one, it's just that we want to offer another animal a warm and loving home for their lifetime too.

Sending you a big hug xx

Don't feel guilty.. As others have shad you gave a loving home and I'm sure she had a wonderful life with you. I lost mine 5 years ago, he was my baby (I don't have kids) he went through my divorce with me and really was my rock - who needed a man when I had him to give me hugs :) I still miss him everyday. It does get easier though, the tears turn into happy memories. I replaced him with a cat, an older rescue cat who sadly died last year. I felt a bit guilty getting him, but that passed as I'd given another animal a loving home. I went to see an amazing psychic a couple of months ago and she said I have a big dog and a cat with me always - so she's still around, she can see you miss her and I'm sure she's loving watching you play with kittens, she's probably having fun with them herself ;)

Sending you a big gigantic hug, completely know how you might be feeling.

Lots of love over to you,

Rachel xoxo

I am so sorry that you're going through this, I can only imagine how much it hurts. You clearly loved your dog very much and I'm sure she knew this. I know it's hard but don't feel guilty about the kittens, you can never replace an animal but this doesn't mean you can't welcome new animals into your home. I'm sure your dog would love to see you happy.

I don't think we can ever 'get over' a loss; just learn how to cope with it. You'll get there *hug*

Thankyou everyone for your lovely messages, they've helped me a lot, you lot are fantastic ❤️ Xxx

Latest posts

Back