Not doing as well as hoped

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be to hard on yourself 12weeks is nothing really. Yes you need to change your mindset if your self employed, you must do EVERYTHING in your power to get your clients in and increase you regular clients spend. I am just coming into my 3rd year of being self employed I have had some really hard times, going from being in a salon on commission basis(she sold up and the new owners were a nightmare) to mobile then renting a room in a salon again. now I have taken the plunge and have my own small salon. I work the hours around kids school and hubby's shifts.
I went down to £3000 gross takings in 2012 😩. I have doubled that this tax year and hope to double that again next year and so on.

What I'm trying to say is these things take time they don't happen over night. I have been through so much with my business, but sheer determination has kept me going.

Location is key as now I get lots of passing trade where as before I got 0!!
The way you advertise and market yourself ie website, price lists, Facebook, twitter, leaflet drops, newspaper ads, press release articles.... Measure your responses and find what works for your business. Give 150% to every service.
Look after your regulars (they will recommend you building your reputation)
Good luck

I am also in a same position.
I have been self employed 3 years now and my income is shocking. In a week I'm making £100 less than I would be if I was employed.
I'm self employed in two salons on a 50/50 basis. Some weeks I can make well over £300 to myself but that's very unlikely.
Me and my boyfriend are saving up for a mortgage. But I'm a bit worried that my income just isn't going to be enough!

Help.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have been self employed 3 years now and my income is shocking. In a week I'm making £100 less than I would be if I was employed.
I'm self employed in two salons on a 50/50 basis. Some weeks I can make well over £300 to myself but that's very unlikely.
Me and my boyfriend are saving up for a mortgage. But I'm a bit worried that my income just isn't going to be enough!

Help.

After 3 years it's something your going to have to think about carefully moving forward. Also in regards to a mortgage I know the feeling. It's almost impossible now days and being self employed makes it a million times worse. Even with a ltd company and accountant etc it's impossible for me.

Help.

Have you been in the same spots for those three years or moving around? This has a lot to do with your income. I have been self employed for 5yrs and have been moving around for three of those five. You never make stable income as your constantly losing and trying to gain clients. I am finally starting to see profit after being in my current location for just over a year. I chose this spot smartly as well. I chose a wealthy area in a popular little village. There are no other beauty salons here, competition across the street closed up last year. My room also faces the street so many people see my logo and stop on in.

It usually takes 2-3yrs in one location to start to see profit. If you haven't been moving about I would consider the places your in. Are you busy in either salon? Are you not charging enough for your services? Have you priced out your services properly? Etc. All these questions play a huge role in your profit at the end of the day.

I have been in the same place for 6 years. Did my training here etc. We all charge clients salon prices then half it for the boss.
I have just started in a salon in a shopping centre one day a week who charge a bit more. Only been there 5 weeks and I have a few clients in which walk by.
Im just not earning enough weekly and its getting me down. The salon I've been in for 6 years have more loyal clients but its mainly shampoo and sets and perms. I do mainly trains here. Probably only do a colour twice a month in the salon.

Latest posts

Back