Not enough training in the maintenance of nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
What are very common questions that appear on this site daily? Queries about lifting, breakages, nails falling off etc etc. It does seem that so many technicians don't know how to work out what the problem is and panic about their own abilities. This is because they haven't had enough training to understand what is going on!

So many courses just concentrate on the application and not on the maintenance. In my opinion supervised help with maintenance is as important (if not more so) than application. The results of good/bad prep and good/bad application is shown up in every maintenance appointment. Those who are beginning their training need help with all the implications that show up during these services. How can they work out why problems occur if it has only been talked about briefly?

If you think about it, a 'full set' client should be just a one off! After that they are maintenance clients! If problems that arise aren't put right during the maintenance they won't be clients for long. Giving clients perfect nails time after time is what keeps them with you.

During your training, help with your first and second maintenance services for several clients will help. The first to see what was wrong with your initial application and how to recognise what needs doing and the second to see if the problem was put right. This is crucial learning and is directly connected to the learning of application.

Do you think you had enough help with maintenance and putting problem right? Can you work out why a client has a problem and know how to fix it?

(This is another reason why learning with plastic hands are just the beginning. They help with application and product control but do nothing to help with such important issues that every beginner faces, i.e. lifting, breakages etc)

I've asked the questions to see what people think of their training and also to draw attention to the importance of good maintenance at the beginning of your learning and not after sleepless nights and lost clients.

This is a great thread, Mum. I have to admit that my training was utter crap. My instructor never left her office. Students in her classes were self-taught and, frankly, that was dangerous. If it hadn't been for the kindness of some conscientious nail techs I'd encountered along the way, I'd know nothing!

With that in mind, when I see posts from newbies asking questions that should have been covered in their courses, I know exactly where they're coming from. Should they have received the proper training? Yes. But they got a bad education and that's hardly their fault. They didn't get what they paid for. That's for certain.

The fact that they're here asking questions, searching for information speaks to the facts that they recognize their deficiency and are asking for help. Rather than brow beat them for what they didn't learn, we need to lift them up and offer them the help that they need. If that's in the form of tutorials or direction for further training, so be it. Telling them that it should have been covered in their course, well, we know that...they know that. Obviously, all training isn't equal.

Couldn't agree more! I hated doing nails in college! Im the first to admit I was terrible at them then, and I still am now! Which is purely the reason I dont do gel/acrylic now.

I think if I had more training in them I would have stuck at it but sadly the ship has now sailed!

Great thread! My training for l&p was utter rubbish. We talked about maintenance but never actually got to do it and everyone on my course passed and some were terrible! we were meant to infill but our course got cancelled on the day we were due to do this and didn't get rebooked for another 2-3 weeks after so we never had the chance to do it!

A few months after my course I found a full time job (nothing to do with nails) so never had time to practice my l&p as I was a single mum too so I gave up! Haven't done any since and feel it was a complete waste of money.

So in my opinion maintenance should be a huge part of all the enhancement courses!

We "talked" about maintaince at collage , that was all!
I knew it wasn't anywhere close to enough , Even if it was we left with out knowing how to even hold a file!

I booked in with CND London & did a class just to cover maintenance ,
Then I covered it again in the master classes
And again today with E-file ,

The thing is when your experienced with application your Maintenance will be mostly trouble free ,
But most students are not 100% in application & prep and need more work with the issues of Maintenance , it's also the perfect time to learn how and when to correct things .

It's so annoying that it gets so overlooked as we all aim to do more Maintenance than full sets ,

I knew it wasn't anywhere close to enough , Even if it was we left with out knowing how to even hold a file!

The thing is when your experienced with application your Maintenance will be mostly trouble free ,
But most students are not 100% in application & prep and need more work with the issues of Maintenance , it's also the perfect time to learn how and when to correct things .

It's so annoying that it gets so overlooked as we all aim to do more Maintenance than full sets ,

Exactly! 'Talked about it' isn't enough is it? Experienced is mostly trouble free but you have got to go through that experience by seeing things go wrong and knowing how to put them right and that will make you experienced with your application. Ooooh, it's like going around in circles! :D

Real help during this time will help the circle go around.

I agree that coming on here to ask for help is a great solution. It's such a shame that training is often so bad and you don't know what you don't know.

"The answer is usually easy if you know the question."

No where near enough training on the problem areas! As you say fully consinrating on the application!

My instructor concentrated completely on application. Countless hours were spent on nail art. Nothing about maintenance, nail health etc.

It was criminal. She's still teaching today.

I did my first l&p course at college. We had to sit round and watch the tutor re-balance a nail (all 18 of us). We were then told to go and get on with it. There was no step by step or what percentage of product to remove and we were never shown or taught how to replace the white. When it came to my practical exam you could see the lines where I hadn't blended the product enough. I knew she was going to say something and I wanted her to. Instead she told me in future that all my cotton roll buds must be neatly rolled and I hadn't put lining paper on my trolley. I actually cried all the way to my car because I felt so let down by that.

i'm at college now doing nail tech and though i do like my instructor i'm not confident with the teaching. when i go to college i talk about threads i've read on here, research i've done on the internet, products i've tried etc... and the other students just look at me blank.

i actually took my sister with me last week as she'd had her enhancements on two weeks and i wanted feedback and to be shown a proper re-balance. this apparently was out of the norm and took everyone by surprise.

if it wasn't for my own research and practice i'd know nothing and that bothers me

Totally agree!!
I had pants training and have learnt loads from the lovely people on this site... For that I am very grateful :)
I done a set of gels last week which are still all on and in tact yay!!! But now I'm worried about infills lol!
We was just talked through it on my course and have every only done one set which looked awful :-(

I fully agree,with Mizzy and everyone,on my orginal course we too just ''talked'' through maintenance,and were handed a pamphlet with the info in,but we never got to see an actual infill or a rebalance or even have an attempt at it,even though I asked question after question,I was completely fobbed off.And after feeling rubbish about l+p and my confidence in using tips has been so low the past couple of weeks,it was only yesterday when doing my cnd conversion with Natalie that she showed me that I could do tipping,it was my nerves and she corrected me on where I was putting myself down,and regards to my l+p,it was actually the fact that I'm not ''pressing'' down enough on my beads and only gently patting,were where my problems were arising,my mix ratio,bead size etc was all spot on,but when you think your wrong,in your head your just wrong completely,Natalie completely opened my eyes and instilled confidence in me,whereas in my intiall training,our tutor couldn't give two monkeys behinds as to where we were going wrong during application. Natalie instructed us yesterday how important maintenance is,and clients returning not for new sets but maintaining the orginal set,I'm so glad that I'm now on the cnd road:D My next course that I want to get booked on is the infill/rebalance maintenance course and I can't wait,to learn the correct techniques and not to feel that dreaded twisted knot in the stomach.I just wish that among the many many course providers that they do include the importance of maintenance within their course education or offer it as a seperate like cnd and prehaps one or two others do,maybe then newbies would know where they are going wrong,so to say.This site has been a tremendous help to me and without it,I think I would have packed up my brush and cried in the corner,but now I'm determined to produce great first sets and excellant maintenance,xxx

Last edited:
If we know this, why isn't it being addressed? Why isn't it being insisted upon? Why isn't there change? How do we bring about change?

Great thread Mum! Couldn't agree more. :)

Great thread and so good to see others have similar experiences.

Like the others here, we were talked through refills/rebalance in about 30 seconds. Yes there is instructions in my manual but when it came to a point I actually had to do one, disaster!

I don't know how to deal with most problems, especially when it comes to actual nails, like nail biters and different shaped nails or odd shaped nails. I don't mean this just from an enhancement view but also just for polishing, making the nails look more uniform etc

It's only using this forum I realised how much I didn't know because I wasn't taught it in the first place.

I made a decision a few days ago to give up on enhancements until I can afford to do some decent training. Up to this point I have spent a lot of money and I'm still rubbish despite my best intentions :)

I made a decision a few days ago to give up on enhancements until I can afford to do some decent training. Up to this point I have spent a lot of money and I'm still rubbish despite my best intentions :)

I'm so sorry to hear that though I completely understand your decision. Proper training is so crucial in what we do because, let's face it, we're selling ourselves here. We're artists and our art is displayed on other peoples' fingers and toes.

I think it's criminal that so much money, time and energy is spent on getting a proper education and you didn't get what you bargained for. I thought for the longest time that my lousy nail education was the exception to the rule but now I'm finding that a quality nail education may be the exception.

I wish you'd reconsider and see if you can garner any help by viewing fingernailfixer's videos and by reading Gigi Rouse's tutorials to see if they can help you in any way. I hate to see "newbies" give up.

I'd rather offer people a treatment I'm confident with and doesn't cause me to cry :)

I would much rather give someone a kick ass manicure/pedicure and a nice polish/nail art, than a set of enhancements that cause me stress. I'll stil practice on myself of course (seeing as I never have problems!!!) and see if I can get some samples of different gels and find what suits me. Whether that's the right or wrong decision, well I don't know for now, but you can't learn from your mistakes until you make them :)

I wish you the best in whatever path you decide to take. I understand the pursuit of excellence.

I've just recently qualified after doing a nail services course for a year. I did get to do maintanance but never on the client i orginally did so it was really hard to see where i was going wrong/ what needed improving. I've just set up a small business from home and am finding people needing to come back after about 10 days for maintanance. I feel i am doing everything right but obviously not and don't where to turn for advice and guideance as to what i'm doing wrong. I don't want to give up as it cost me a fortune to do the course and i have brought all NSI products. Is there anywhere in the UK you can go for maintanance training?? Thanks x

Latest posts

Back