Notifying home insurance of home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
Does everyone who runs a home salon inform their home insurance company of this? I obviously already have salon insurance and need to renew my home insurance. Don't want to pay over and above on this as it says business use is not covered anyway.

Yes, I called up my insurance company and it made no difference to the cost of the policy. They actually said that since I am working from home, there is someone in the property during the day which makes it safer. However, if I ever do need to make a claim if I have been broken into, I need to be able to prove forced entry (broken window/door etc) as I will have clients coming into the house. They were actually pretty helpful, I would suggest just calling them.

I read somewhere you need to inform the council? Have you done this? I'm only in first year and I wasn't aware of this. Not sure how to go about this.

Yes, I called up my insurance company and it made no difference to the cost of the policy. They actually said that since I am working from home, there is someone in the property during the day which makes it safer. However, if I ever do need to make a claim if I have been broken into, I need to be able to prove forced entry (broken window/door etc) as I will have clients coming into the house. They were actually pretty helpful, I would suggest just calling them.
Thanks that helpful x

I read somewhere you need to inform the council? Have you done this? I'm only in first year and I wasn't aware of this. Not sure how to go about this.
I may have down way back can't remember lol

Yes you have to inform your home insurance because it may invalidate your policy. Halifax dropped us like a ton of bricks but we actually got a better policy.

Also yes you need to inform your local council. A lot of councils charge a license fee and may want to inspect your property. My fee is £300 per year. If you dont and they find out you are working without one you could be in for a big fine. You can google your council and "special treatment license" for more info. As i work from a summerhouse i also needed planning permission despite the building already being there x

Yes you have to inform your home insurance because it may invalidate your policy. Halifax dropped us like a ton of bricks but we actually got a better policy.

Also yes you need to inform your local council. A lot of councils charge a license fee and may want to inspect your property. My fee is £300 per year. If you dont and they find out you are working without one you could be in for a big fine. You can google your council and "special treatment license" for more info. As i work from a summerhouse i also needed planning permission despite the building already being there x

Thank you for your message. I will contact the council next week. Things like this can be so disheartening, it's hard enough starting out without all these extra costs. I don't really understand what the council would do for me to justify paying £300 per year, I already pay so much council tax :( x

I don't really understand what the council would do for me to justify paying £300 per year, I already pay so much council tax :( x

The fee is to cover the administration of the licensing scheme including checking your set up to ensure you are fully qualified and comply with all the relevant health and safety regulations, just as any high street Salon is expected to do.

If the UK properly regulated the beauty industry, it would limit the Youtube opportunists who have no formal training and who expose the public to potentially dangerous practices and chemicals and drastically undercut the prices being charged by experienced professionals. If your council does charge a licensing fee, use this to your advantage by educating potential clients stating on all your advertising that you are a professional and fully licensed Nail Technician.

Set yourself apart from the cowboy operators out there.

It does feel a bit sharp at first but starting up a business will always be costly. It's just something you have to factor in, like your treatment insurance. They will check that your property is safe for the public, no fire or safety hazards and advise what you need to do to stay compliant.

I agree that it's worth it to weed out the unqualified beauty therapists that bring prices down.

At least next year you only need to put aside £25 per month and you'll be set.

Who do you have your home insurance with? The insurance company I'm with at the moment have a limit on the amount of clients I can have in the home every week but business is growing so i want to find a company who will be happy to insure building and contents whilst still having clients coming in and out. I work from our dining room so they have to pass through the house

Who do you have your home insurance with? The insurance company I'm with at the moment have a limit on the amount of clients I can have in the home every week but business is growing so i want to find a company who will be happy to insure building and contents whilst still having clients coming in and out. I work from our dining room so they have to pass through the house
I am insured with Esure who also have a client limit. I think it's 20 or 25 a week, which is plenty for me. I work from a treatment room which was previously the garage. The entrance is located right next to my front door so clients do not need to pass through my home.

I am insured with Esure who also have a client limit. I think it's 20 or 25 a week, which is plenty for me. I work from a treatment room which was previously the garage. The entrance is located right next to my front door so clients do not need to pass through my home.
Thanks I just tried to get a quote but it said to read through the requirements and it said this:
  • is used as a private residence with no business use (other than clerical use with no business visitors)

Thanks I just tried to get a quote but it said to read through the requirements and it said this:
  • is used as a private residence with no business use (other than clerical use with no business visitors)
My documents ask 'Is the property used solely as a private residence with no business use?' You have the option of stipulating Yes or No.

My documents ask 'Is the property used solely as a private residence with no business use?' You have the option of stipulating Yes or No.
But you would have to state no as there is business use in the house?

I answer 'no' as I use a room as a treatment room.

I answer 'no' as I use a room as a treatment room.
Well if they're still happy to insure you I might have to give them a call :)

Latest posts

Back