NSS/MMA info

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannajadem

CND Education Ambassador
Reaction score
As some of you may have read, a nail bar has opened next door to the chemists where I work. It's been there since Dec, used to be a travel agents. There is also a residential flat above the nail bar which goes over the chemists.
Since January, some of the staff have commented on a funny smell coming from our back room, which to me smells like varnish or glue or som sort of solvent. It's worse at the end of the week. We assumed that the flat upstairs were having some work done, so left it alone for a while, then two of our staff started suffering with itchy eyes, and sneezing etc, sometimes even facial rashes which are unexplained-an allergy???
After a meeting with one of the residents, they asked us what on earth we were doing in the chemist as they have an odd smell upstairs-the manager went to smell and said it was exactly the same as our back room, only 10 times worse.
We have concluded that it's probably the nail bar, as eveything seems to coincide, as they are busier towards the end of the week.
I don't know if they are using MMA. To me it doesn't smell like EMA, but then I've never smelt MMA vapours before. I went round there today to take a look (when they were closed of course!), and they seems to be using drills/masks etc. There's absolutely no extraction to the outside of the building, and I'm told by the staff who used to have the travel agents that there never has been. They did have those little desktop extractors (?) when I had a nose today though.
They have a wheelie bin which is collected by normal council collection-does this seem correct? I'm mobile so am unsure of the protocol of disposing of 5 nails tech's salon waste.
The environmental health have been called and should be with us in 2-3 working days. Just so we are on the same page, does anyone have any factual scientific proof I can show to these people when they come, as they've faxed some info to my manager on nail bars which I've yet to read, but from some of the threads I've read on here, they don't seem to know what they're looking for, i.e. testing glue instead of the liquid monomer etc. Also, apparently the inspector said on the phone 'the acrylic is illegal here in the UK, so they ship it over from the USA':irked: eeerrr, I thought it was illegal in USA but not the UK?
Hope someone can help, thanks guys-x

Hi, i have no idea what mma smells like so sorry i cant help with that but as far as i'm aware (i may be wrong) but i was under the impression that mma is illegal over in the US but not here, i hope you get it sorted though.
Jo.Xx

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing...we are still waiting for the inspector to come out. Was hoping someone would know if it's a legal requirement to have extraction units?

Latest posts

Back