NSS salons lying to clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyboo

Reaction score
I've now had 5 new clients come to me that have previously used all of the 4 nss salons in our town.
They have all been charged extra for gel but when they have seen my pots of gel they have all said "the gel they used was a liquid & powder that was mixed in the brush then put on my nail"
Is there anything that can be done to stop them being dishonest about selling one product but giving another??

Only thing we can do is educate the public. Sometimes it is just what the suppliers tell them it is, so they then just go along with it. I'm not sure it even counts as "false advertising". Annoying for everyone involved... but there isn't much we can do :(

I thought the same untill I came across a gel powder:irked:
I found out what is the supplyer for my local nss and they sell this product!lol
they are saying the truth,it's gel powder.It's easyer to store I guess,as a powder

Omg, i had this happen to me, i didn't have time to do my nails so i went to a nss for gel nails. They told me it would be 2x the price of l&p and i agreed that was ok. Of course they put tips on me, then the "gel" was next, except it was l&p. I said that is not gel, the tech said, yes it is, it's new gel, powder gel. I liked him square in the eye and said that is acrylic and if you think you are gonna put acrylic on my nails with a gel top coat and charge me 2x the price, you've gotta another thing coming...i do nails and that is not gel! I got up and walked out! That's what i get for going to a nss!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I think the same has happened to my before?! Just outta curiosity what is NSS? Cus it was a Chinese run nail bar that did the same to her...am I just been really thick?! Haha :S x

Aw I see! Thank you :) x

Omg I dont even know what to say to that :l I had couple clients like that and I just thought they where confused....maybe they wernt though

There is no such thing as powdered gel.. period.. A supplier can say that is what it is, but you have to question the supplier at that point... Gel is a gel. Power is a powder.

I get so angry about the NSS salons doing this to people. Just charge the correct prices for services and stop lying! Ive had people so confused as to why I am putting gel on their nails when they've asked for gel.. I get.."I've never had my nails done this way before. It's always a powder. So why are you using this gloopy stuff!" GR! Nothing wrong with l&p. I love my nfu.oh line..Just tell the truth about what you're using.. And it's true-we just need to educate our clients and be proud that we know our stuff and provide high quality services.

There is no such thing as powdered gel.. period.. A supplier can say that is what it is, but you have to question the supplier at that point... Gel is a gel. Power is a powder.

I get so angry about the NSS salons doing this to people. Just charge the correct prices for services and stop lying! Ive had people so confused as to why I am putting gel on their nails when they've asked for gel.. I get.."I've never had my nails done this way before. It's always a powder. So why are you using this gloopy stuff!" GR! Nothing wrong with l&p. I love my nfu.oh line..Just tell the truth about what you're using.. And it's true-we just need to educate our clients and be proud that we know our stuff and provide high quality services.

I totally agree! Could not have said it better :)

Can anyone explain to my why clients would pay more just because it's gel not l&p?

I don't understand the difference - they are for different nail types not better or worse....

Can anyone explain to my why clients would pay more just because it's gel not l&p?

I don't understand the difference - they are for different nail types not better or worse....

L&P has had a lot of bad press (due to NSS bad practices), and "gel" has been marketed by them in a way that says it isn't as "damaging"... just because it's Gel. Obviously this is incorrect but it is what some of the public believe.

When I worked in a l&p only salon, we had plenty of people phoning up asking for gel because 'gel isn't as 'damaging' as acrylic... This was generally what was said to them by their last tech who, funnily enough ;), only did gel!

There are obviously some people who've had their nails done before who are savvy enough to know the differences, and obviously we know that there are more appropriate uses for each but for people who are going in for the first time - 15/16 year olds nipping in with their saturday job money, for example - then they're generally at the mercy of the tech. And if you go into a salon (unaware that this is NOT how you should be having your nails done) and they tell you one thing, and you don't know to question it, then you have to take it at face value. It's all just a case of educating our clients.

put a sign up....

-Gel and acrylic (l&p) are basically the same thing just applied differently.
-Both when applied properly can deliver beautiful enhancements .
-Neither is better than the other .

- i use a quality gel for the entire application.
- i don't damage the natural nail.

after that the only thing you can do is let your work do the talking for you.

Lechat have a powder gel but other that i dont know of any. it actually gives a really nice result

This topic has been discussed before. It's not necessarily them lying to you, it might be that they have been misinformed by their supplier.

I paid extra for gel nails at an NSS previously but it was L&P with a gel topcoat. I didn't know any different then.

A customer came to me from a NSS (we have 2 in Carlisle) and said exactly the same thing, seems they used l&p, she said no UV lamp was used and she paid £5 extra for the privilege! Shocking!

A customer came to me from a NSS (we have 2 in Carlisle) and said exactly the same thing, seems they used l&p, she said no UV lamp was used and she paid £5 extra for the privilege! Shocking!
:smack: smack me down silly i chuckle at that an extra fiver for not using a uv lamp . I can not believe that ,perphaps i should charge an extra fiver for using my uv lamp and my bulbs :eek:

BTW- I completely agree with everyone in saying that L&P is just as good as gel. I charge the exact same price. And I absolutely love the product that I use.

The NSS salons have just found an opportunity (some..not all. I won't generalize) to charge more for something that costs the same price.

where I am gel services (real gel) are more expensive than l&p because it costs more to bring the products into the salon. Now this is for non nss salons.....nss salons charge the same prices as the regular salons but do l&p with a gel top coat. It's frustrating, but once the client is educated to the differences you've usually got a pretty loyal client that appreciates that you aren't lying to them :)

Latest posts

Back