Nurse to beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livelaughlove

Reaction score
Hi I remember I very first posted here 6 yrs ago! (Ive rejoined as can't remember my details!) i had just qualified as a nurse and was working in my first nursing job in a hospital. I was also considering options for starting out in beauty therapy, well 6yrs on ive had 2 children and have a good job that im happy with as a practice nurse, it is however only 18hrs though so I'm beginning to think of my options again and beauty has come across my mind once again all these yrs later! so I must have a good interest if I still want to do it now. I'd like to keep my current job and do some beauty courses/work along side I think but ive done a quick Google search and I'm not coming across much that suits (time wise an correct course) for a course to do to get me started? It would most likely need to be part time evenings or school hours during the day. Any ideas where I can look or what course maybe most suitable? Thanks :)

Hi,

I think your first port of call should be local colleges. See if they offer NVQ Level 2 beauty therapy part time, one or two days. This will cover all the basics, waxing, eye treatments, nails etc depending on the curriculum. Most FE colleges have had major funding cuts over the last few years, so have been cutting part time course, however you might be lucky to still have them offered local to you. Failing that see what private training providers offer. I would advise if possible to do a NVQ level 2 instead of individual courses I.e course for nails, course for waxing etc, should be cheaper and more favourable with employers, in my opinion.

Good luck xx

Thankyou I applied last night to a local college and they phoned me this morning asking if it was full or part time I wanted, I said part time and she sed they will be in touch with an interview date so all been well I'll be able to commence in September! Fingers crossed, it's going to cost me £900 tho, doubt I'll get any funding towards it but I really want to do it :)

It's a while to September.
If you can manage it around your kids, can you do some bank/agency nursing shifts before then to earn the £900?

Just a thought.

Yea I can do think that's what I'll do, will see how it needs to be paid too if it's all in one go or monthly etc thanks :)

Hi I remember I very first posted here 6 yrs ago! (Ive rejoined as can't remember my details!) i had just qualified as a nurse and was working in my first nursing job in a hospital. I was also considering options for starting out in beauty therapy, well 6yrs on ive had 2 children and have a good job that im happy with as a practice nurse, it is however only 18hrs though so I'm beginning to think of my options again and beauty has come across my mind once again all these yrs later! so I must have a good interest if I still want to do it now. I'd like to keep my current job and do some beauty courses/work along side I think but ive done a quick Google search and I'm not coming across much that suits (time wise an correct course) for a course to do to get me started? It would most likely need to be part time evenings or school hours during the day. Any ideas where I can look or what course maybe most suitable? Thanks :)

Where do you live,? If price is a major factor check groupon/wowcher as they usually do level 2 beauty/hairdressing courses at reduced rates around September time. For example here is one is in Chiswick http://www.wowcher.co.uk/deals/lond...d-1999-20-week-level-2-hairdressing/deal.html

If it is about times, if you are only working 18 hours per a week you could do college courses as many say full time but are really only 2-3 days per a week.

Oh I never would of thought to look on groupon etc! I think we should be able to get the money, it's more than I first thought but should be ok to get it together and the other college was saying £1600 odd! part time will be better as I have a 5 and 2yr old so would have to pay for nursery if I did during the day in the week.

Oh I never would of thought to look on groupon etc! I think we should be able to get the money, it's more than I first thought but should be ok to get it together and the other college was saying £1600 odd! part time will be better as I have a 5 and 2yr old so would have to pay for nursery if I did during the day in the week.

You may be eligible for free childcare for the 2 year old as their is a new scheme going about I would check at citizens advice.

Thank you he's in nursery currently while I do my 2 days nursing no free hours for us till he's 3, but we do get some child tax credits x

Latest posts

Back