NVQ beauty fast track?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Hi,, I've been backwards and forwards in what to do regarding further education eg short courses v nvq. I feel I need more knowledge and training to do well in the future but haven't got pots of money or time! So I've found an nvq fast track course which is just about in budget and I think will give me the theory knowledge im currently lacking and practical experience in the treatments I don't yet do.
Does anyone have experience of fast track nvq? As I understand it will be 8 practical sessions followed by case studies and theory in my own time but I have the opportunity to sit in with any extra practical classes I feel I need and lots of support from tutor. I then go in for assessments etc. I already do manis, pedis and eye treatments so these will just be recapping really and then facials and waxing learning from scratch.
Thanks for reading (long post I no)!!

So don't want to sound negative, but I want to weep every time I see the word's FAST TRACK....especially if the sentence includes the line 'NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!'
These courses promote an 'ANY ONE CAN DO' vibe which is devaluing this profession.
For those supplying the course's, YIPEEE....., easy money, but for the student's, mostly, there will be massive gaps in their knowledge, that ultimately will need filling, by paying extra in cash and time, in order to achieve competency.
These are just my thoughts. I have experienced the applicant who arrives at my salon under the impression that the quickie course she has attended makes her employable... sadly it does not. :irked:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and I can see your view. Although I say fast track it is a full nvq and I can take up to two years to complete it at my own pace so if I'm struggling with something I can continue to get more guidance until I am confident. I was just thinking this would best fit in with my circumstances, eg study in my own time rather than be bound to college for the theory side of things. I am in no rush to complete it as I already do nails, tanning and eye treatments and I no I have had to practice lots! Fully appreciate your comments tho and gives me food for thought.... X

Like you said when it comes to NVQ it's not really a fast track one day course and to be honest, my daughter is at college doing her NVQ and I'm mortified with the way it's set up! Many years ago I trained with the Carlton Institute and got my NVQ 2 and part of 3, my training and knowledge compared to my daughters and other apprentices I've had from college was far more in depth and superior.

I don't agree with the one day courses, I've come across "Beauticians" that have gone on them for waxing, facials, massage etc and that is a joke, you cannot safely learn how to work on a client in one day, let alone give a good service.

Thank you, I think the concern is whether it provides enough practical training and I do share that. There is only going to b at most 4 in a class so I assume that it is v personal intense training. Having never done a college route in only guessing that alot of a normal college course time is spent going over theory which I can do myself at home. I also know of someone who did a part time college route but finished way ahead of the others because she was keen to learn and complete her theory and case studies where as some of the other students were happy to take as long as possible to fill up another year of not working (I'm sure u no the type of people I mean)!! So hard knowing If doing the right thing!! X

Go For it.

You already have some relevant experience so you're aware of what's required in terms of practical application. College is ideal for teaching you theory and basic skills and ensuring you meet a minimum agreed standard before awarding a recognised qualification.

Further education institutions have to balance their books and are no longer subsidised to the extent that they were even 10 years ago. Therefore, they generally run with larger class sizes and fewer practical sessions.

I also strongly believe that most students straight out of college need to gain a lot more experience before they can be fully employable and earning money for the salon.

Unfortunately, neither potential students nor employers are being given realistic expectations of what a current college based education provides in terms of employability. Therefore, many newly qualified students struggle to find their feet. It's a very serious problem that I don't think is being addressed as the obvious solution requires the input of additional funding which no-one is prepared to cover.

You are obviously very aware of the limitations of the current education system and realistic in possible shortcomings, therefore, I think you will be fine.

www.surepassbeauty.co.uk

SurePass Beauty Academy
We offer NVQ and short course accreditation training courses, based in Norfolk.

I live in Cyprus and I did three NVQ beauty courses on a 'over the Internet' course which included skype assessments with final assessments at the college. I was awarded three distinctions and I feel very happy to work with the knowledge I received...
Some fast track courses are good I suspect and some are not.. I did a lot of research before I signed up to the course looking at reviews before committing myself..
Hope this helps [emoji3]

Latest posts

Back