NVQ In Nail Services

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaiForrester

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having great difficulty trying to find the best course for me. I am starting out as a Nail Tech and obviously want to be the best.

There are SO many courses out there but really do not want to waste my money. I beleive in you pay for what you get.

I have done loads of research and I think I have decided on the NVQ qualification. Does this give you the "go ahead" to apply for Salon's? Or do Salon's accept any certificate given for Nails?

Also I have narrowed it down to two places...The Beauty Academy in Milton Keynes and the Couture Beauty which is in Aspley Guise. I cannot find any reviews for Couture Beauty but they do offer the NVQ qualification which is slightly cheaper than the Beauty Academy...has any one been trained at this school before?

Also is the NVQ qualification worth doing and do you come away feeling confident as a Nail Tech? What are peoples views on this course?

I am unsure what route to take, whether to work in a salon to build up my client base and get lots of practise or just start mobile and work on friends and family.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Many THanks

Shai Forrester xx

Have you looked on the city and guild website, at the course you want to do?

May help you decide which one if you have a look at what is involved.:biggrin:

Hello,

I am having great difficulty trying to find the best course for me. I am starting out as a Nail Tech and obviously want to be the best.

There are SO many courses out there but really do not want to waste my money. I beleive in you pay for what you get.

I have done loads of research and I think I have decided on the NVQ qualification. Does this give you the "go ahead" to apply for Salon's? Or do Salon's accept any certificate given for Nails?

Also I have narrowed it down to two places...The Beauty Academy in Milton Keynes and the Couture Beauty which is in Aspley Guise. I cannot find any reviews for Couture Beauty but they do offer the NVQ qualification which is slightly cheaper than the Beauty Academy...has any one been trained at this school before?

Also is the NVQ qualification worth doing and do you come away feeling confident as a Nail Tech? What are peoples views on this course?

I am unsure what route to take, whether to work in a salon to build up my client base and get lots of practise or just start mobile and work on friends and family.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Many THanks

Shai Forrester xx
Hi Shai,
I did some beauty training with the Beauty Academy in Aspley Guise and they were ok (I had never done anything like it before so had nothing to compare it to but I did enjoy the training). However I decided to look elsewhere to do my nail training and I found a company called eclipse nail & beauty in Milton Keynes. They do training on a one to one basis which I found to be much better. Their website is Eclipse Nail & Beauty Training - Home the trainers name is Vicki and she is really helpful and I would definately recommend her. She uses NSI products for enhancements which I have gotten along with just fine (I believe the beauty academy use The Edge and I haven't heard great reviews on their products but have never used them myself so I can't really comment too much).
I am very new to all this so someone else might give you some better advice but I hope this helps.
Good luck
Gemma x

Hi Shai,
I did some beauty training with the Beauty Academy in Aspley Guise and they were ok (I had never done anything like it before so had nothing to compare it to but I did enjoy the training). However I decided to look elsewhere to do my nail training and I found a company called eclipse nail & beauty in Milton Keynes. They do training on a one to one basis which I found to be much better. Their website is Eclipse Nail & Beauty Training - Home the trainers name is Vicki and she is really helpful and I would definately recommend her. She uses NSI products for enhancements which I have gotten along with just fine (I believe the beauty academy use The Edge and I haven't heard great reviews on their products but have never used them myself so I can't really comment too much).
I am very new to all this so someone else might give you some better advice but I hope this helps.
Good luck
Gemma x
OMG !! thank you so much for your help. Because of all of the courses out there it is so hard to choose the right one.
I have had a quick look at the website and the prices are very reasonable. Have you done this course to be mobile or work in a salon?
I want to have the option of both...so was wondering if the certificate given from Eclipse Nails is recognised.
But I love the idea of one on one training.

Many THanks

No probs happy to help for once as I'm usually the one asking for help! I am mobile in my spare time as I still have a full time job in an office. The qualification you will receive is a diploma I didn't look into what this means with regards to working in a salon as that's not something that interested me, maybe give Vicki a call and ask her.
CND's training also looks great, always seeing brilliant reviews about them on here.x

I have been doing nails for two years and have spent a fortune on different course and products, if I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have gone straight to CND (Sweet Squared) x

Hi
I'm in exactly the same boat as you shai NVQ or Dioloma? Go mobile or salon? It's all so confusing. I want to do the best training available but at the price that I can afford some are sooooo expensive! But I've been getting some really good advice on here. x

Hi
I'm in exactly the same boat as you shai NVQ or Dioloma? Go mobile or salon? It's all so confusing. I want to do the best training available but at the price that I can afford some are sooooo expensive! But I've been getting some really good advice on here. x
Hi
thanks girls - it is all very confusing. I dont think I want to work in a salon but may rent a chair to build up clients etc so want to know i can do that with just a academy diploma.
The CND training is very good and looks like it is the best but for £2000 it is a little out of my price range. My budget at the minute is £1000 - so I am more swayed towards doing a course with either city n guilds or NVQ then doing a conversion course for CND a bit later on.
I think as long as your practise and get the hang of the nails the product is what the person prefers. I dont know...its hard :-(

I recommend that if you're wanting to do an NVQ (which is a really good qualification as it covers a lot and can be a step forward to getting work in a salon) then it's best to do it with a learning provider where you go in on a week to week basis. College is usually best for this regarding NVQs, especially seeing that the paperwork and improving on your practical work is a lot less stressful with having frequent access to a tutor.

I say this as someone who's done both short courses and college.

Good luck in choosing your course and good on you for having a good think about it because the quality of course can make all the difference to your confidence.

Latest posts

Back