NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***juice***

Reaction score
Hi girls

I'm enrolling in a night class for NVQ Beauty Therapy in Sept (yay!) but have noticed that a lot of the job ads for beauty therapists state a minimum of NVQ 3 - am I going to have to go to college full time after 2 years of night classes to get the NVQ 3?

Or is it acceptable to have NVQ 2, then additional training like nail extensions, spray tanning, massage etc? This would be SO much easier for me as in summer, when my college course wasn't on, I could take time off my full time job to do the day courses etc.

Just don't want to do all this hard work of working full time, studying for a degree and studying for my NVQ if I'm still not going to be employable in the beauty sector afterwards :green:

Hi juice, an NVQ 2 will get you a job in the beauty industry. It depends on the company, I have seen plenty of adverts that ask for a qualified beautician up to level 2 and 3, good luck with your course and remember if you need any help or have questions we are all here to help. :hug:

Hiya, Im kinda like you! Just done my nvq L2 beauty, & rather than going onto L3 im now doing holistic therapy & nail extentions. I think alot of places do require L3, but im sure not all! Plently of places will need nail technicians, spray tanners etc...& theres always the option of working for yourself! Hope you enjoy your course x x

Hi, and well done, you will love your course, good luck for september. :)

i have my level 2 but have added on some extra bits such as gel nails (bio) eye lash extensions and a few others - this helps. You could also study further part time (one eve per week) to get your level 3 massage, this would help too.

Saying that, i think salons value your professionalism & customer service skills as much as a level 3 qualification.

HTH's Louise x

I have Level 2 and as long as you don't do any treatments your not qualified to do, I think it will be a good starting point.

I've added on spray tanning and nail enhancements too and this gives me many treatments to do in my home salon.

hth

Hi hun, i have my NVQ level 2 and level 3 s in specific treatments as i personally did not want to do electrical faciels and things. I think your level 2 gives u a great foundation to build upon and yes employees do take level 2 on, but tend to then train them in more advanced techniques. Personally if u do not want to do your level 3, i would advance your skills in other areas, ie tanning, waxing, faciels that sort of thing. Centre parks is a good one to work for in the sence that they will provide u with training in all the main products on the market and u get discount of holidays with them:):)
Good look and enjoy, u will love the coursexxx

Great, that was what I was thinking of doing anyway :green:

My NVQ 2 then topping up by doing courses in nail extension, massage, tanning, ear piercing, lash extension, make up application etc

*breathes a sigh of relief*

i think its a good pace to start hun you can always do more levels later on!!
instead of working in a salon you can always do mobile or work from home then you can do what ever treatments you want as long as you have trainning and insurance!!
:hug: xxxx

Hi again chic, look at the courses that the college provided, my nvq 2 was a two year course chic, that included level 3 massage in the first year and level 3 aroma in the second year. I think now adays they also include tanning in the level 2, don't quote me though hun on that one. Nail extensions i did when i completed my second year and did it as an evening course for about six months, but i question whether i would have been better deciding on a product and training in that brand as to be honest i was never any good at nails, and gone on to do one to one and still they drive me mad, but give me a wax pot and i am in heaven lol:lol:xxx

Latest posts

Back