NVQ levels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerSwanson615

Reaction score
So, I live in the states and we don't have levels with our cosmetology training. I have been on these forums quite a bit lately, and this is something that I keep seeing. Can anyone explain this to me?

So, I live in the states and we don't have levels with our cosmetology training. I have been on these forums quite a bit lately, and this is something that I keep seeing. Can anyone explain this to me?

Level 1, health and safety, shampooing, reception and assisting as well as a lot of theory.
Level 2, cutting, colouring, perming, styling.
Level 3, advanced of the above,
Colour correction.
Level 4, business management (or so I have been told) xoxo

From what you have probably read you will see that an NVQ is not that well regulated some young geeks are really on the ball with it but others seem to have mixed messages from tutors.

Is the education in America strict?
Sadly it seems quotas for getting student through seem to have to be met and people are not getting what they should be from the qualification.

From what you have probably read you will see that an NVQ is not that well regulated some young geeks are really on the ball with it but others seem to have mixed messages from tutors.

Sadly it seems quotas for getting student through seem to have to be met and people are not getting what they should be from the qualification.

I thinks aprenterships (connot work out that spelling) are the best way, yes these students are relying on their tutors, however they have input from a wide number of qualified and experienced stylists, from the salon they spend their 4 days per week to the tutor in the college, the students doing full time hair college are subject to only their tutor and the may not have worked as a hairdresser for quite sometime, so how the book says is the only thing that's taught!

Me and my friend both did hair, she did full time college, I did modern aprentership (I know that wrong) however she knows next to nothing about hair, stick a text book issue in front of her, yer she can tell you, stick a client informs of her, not a clue! She went on to do beauty and nails and did that instead (not saying anything about beauty and nails btw, not sure if they have apprentice options)

I believe the best form of learning is to be in it day in day out and have lots of minds working together to find the best end result and this is how the next generation of open minded, and well rounded stylists are born, using all this information and findin their own way :)

I thinks aprenterships (connot work out that spelling) are the best way, yes these students are relying on their tutors, however they have input from a wide number of qualified and experienced stylists, from the salon they spend their 4 days per week to the tutor in the college, the students doing full time hair college are subject to only their tutor and the may not have worked as a hairdresser for quite sometime, so how the book says is the only thing that's taught!

Me and my friend both did hair, she did full time college, I did modern aprentership (I know that wrong) however she knows next to nothing about hair, stick a text book issue in front of her, yer she can tell you, stick a client informs of her, not a clue! She went on to do beauty and nails and did that instead (not saying anything about beauty and nails btw, not sure if they have apprentice options)

I believe the best form of learning is to be in it day in day out and have lots of minds working together to find the best end result and this is how the next generation of open minded, and well rounded stylists are born, using all this information and findin their own way :)

I agree nothing comes close to real experience, I was full time college but worked in many different salons over the time to get as many different techniques under my belt as well as switch colleges and wet to one where multiple tutors taught you so again multiple techniques (3 in the second college were part time and worked in a salon too) xoxo

I went to college full time, i had 3 course tutors over the whole course. I was a very confident student and that has always carried on through my career ... I think it depends on the individual.

The reason I went to college and not an apprenticeship is simply because I wanted to be hands on from day one and I knew that if i was in a salon I would have spent the majority of my first year cleaning and shampooing. I actually qualified early and was able to leave college to start a full time position in a salon.

I think regardless of your training, if you have the drive and ambition you will be successful! X

I went to college full time, i had 3 course tutors over the whole course. I was a very confident student and that has always carried on through my career ... I think it depends on the individual.

The reason I went to college and not an apprenticeship is simply because I wanted to be hands on from day one and I knew that if i was in a salon I would have spent the majority of my first year cleaning and shampooing. I actually qualified early and was able to leave college to start a full time position in a salon.

I think regardless of your training, if you have the drive and ambition you will be successful! X

I'm glad it worked for you-not all salons work their trainees like that. Our apprentices start their training on day one and have sessions twice a week building up to more as third skills develop.

Great you had a good experience but I wonder if your part of a minority? Like you said it's down to the individual wherever or however you train

I'm glad it worked for you-not all salons work their trainees like that. Our apprentices start their training on day one and have sessions twice a week building up to more as third skills develop.

Great you had a good experience but I wonder if your part of a minority? Like you said it's down to the individual wherever or however you train

I believe your only as good as your taught, so maybe I was lucky with the college and salon I worked in allowed me to absorb all their info and come up with my own solutions, advising if an easier way may be out there etc.... But with full time college and apprentices its a risk on both as to the tutors and what they are teaching and advising, I think the best time you learn is in the job itself be it during qualifying or after, so I think the salon people chose to begin is a big thing x

As people have said before, its all down to the individual, i'm in college, and my best friend is doing an apprenticeship, when were in conversation over techniques and stuff, he often looks like he doesn't have a clue what im on about, I work very hard on my course, and i'm always begging family and friends to let me do their hair, i've also had some salon experience, colleges are better than they used to be as they now have real salons, (for real clients to have treatments done by students) so it is pretty hands on, however not everyone does well at college, a girl in my class couldn't do a basic blowdry halfway through level two! And don't get me started on her cutting...bottom line, it depends on the person and how willing they are to succeed, you can do very well in college aslong as you put the work in xxx

I'm working in a salon now as most of u know my tutor said as I'm doing lots clients there someone from college could come watch me and sign me off so I'd finish level 2 earlier ...

Honestly, I felt like the education left a lot to be desired. Cosmetology programs in America range from 1500 - 2400 hours. I did my training in Arizona, which requires 1600. So that was 35 hours a week, and 5 days a week. For the first 450 hours, you're in the basic class. So in there you get all your theory, and some practice on maniquins. So that's where we got the majority of the theory for color, perms, relaxers etc... And core covers: color, cutting, perming, relaxing, waxing, acrylic nails, manicures, pedicures, up-styling, rollersets, and safety and sanitation. Each category is split up into modules. So coloring was a 3 week module, the first week was theory, and then the last 2 were hands on with the manequins. And we would start with less technically-intense services first, so like virgin demi application, and progress through color, highlifts, foils, and double processes.

The next step is advanced classes, and being on the salon floor. You're in class 3 days a week, and on the floor taking clients for 2. So you get more advanced versions of what you learned in core. So more intricate foils, different perm wraps, more color theory. Advanced haircuts, so just things like texturizing, and such. I was rather lucky for this, as my instructor was a former stage artist for Paul Mitchell. Then about 300 hours in to this, they switch your days in class, and on the floor so you're taking more clients. This is the part of classes when you learn fusions, sew-ins, lash extensions, and things like that.

Then in another 200 or so hours you're just on the floor all day, every day. And this is for quite a while, about 4 months. You still have instructors on the floor to help you out, most of the time there are 2 or 3. You do your own consultations, and come up with the way you think is best to accomplish it, go get the instructor and tell them, and they will either sign off on it, or if they don't believe your method will work, try to talk you through something that will. Then you go ahead and perform the service, and before they leave the instructor comes over to evaluate their hair/nails and grades you on it. Also in this time, there is education from the product lines coming in about monthly. So I had a few Goldwell color classes, and then a Sexy Hair product knowledge class, and one by Design Line.

Then when you have graduated school, you take the state board exams. So a written exam covering anatomy, procedures, and the like. Then you have the practical exam, wherein you bring a mannequin and demonstrate a few services. Like I had to do a cut, perm, color going darker retouch, virgin lightener, virgin relaxer, relaxer retouch. Then you pass that, get your license, and you can work in a salon.

I do feel like some things we didn't receive anywhere near adequate training on. Like acrylics, we did those for like a week in class. That was all the training we received, and were expected to perform that service on clients. Another thing was mens cuts, we did literally 3 days with clippers! Waxing was another thing, we had a day with waxing. Never even learned to do a lip wax until I got in a salon.

The instructors are all pretty great though. To become an instructor you have to have held your Cosmetology license for at least 5 years, and have 5 years of consistent, in salon, work experience. Then they have to go through additional training, and get licensed to teach. But I have had instructors who have been doing hair since the 60's. Instructors who have owned salons, been stage artists.

I wanna be beyonce hairstylist lol

I wanna be beyonce hairstylist lol

Ive always said i wanna have a chain of salons or be a stylist to the stars... I have my first salon now so im on my way to achieving one dream :)

Always keep your goals in mind and never lose them. ... Allow the to adapt though! Things change ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Honestly, I felt like the education left a lot to be desired. Cosmetology programs in America range from 1500 - 2400 hours. I did my training in Arizona, which requires 1600....

Thanks Tyler for the information. It's really interesting learning about how other countries train and certify hairdressing, especially for any geeks considering moving to another country.

In the UK, there are some colleges that offer a combined hair & beauty course but it's more common to study the two disciplines separately.

It sounds like your courses are geared towards younger entrants who can afford to study full-time? In the UK, younger students have the option to study entirely through college or a mix of salon based and college training. (A small minority of salons are accredited to train students themselves to the required NVQ without them having to attend a separate college.)

Do you know if mature entrants (over 25) still have to complete the full 1600 hour course?

In the UK, some colleges offer 'fast track' courses where you can become qualified in basic hairdressing skills in less than a year. They focus on the essential skills and theory but students are also required to undertake additional study at home. This is how I originally qualified.

How do qualified cosmetologists (love this word), keep up to date with their skills after qualifying? Are there any regulations governing continuing education that require people to keep up to date?

In the UK, we have access to numerous short courses run by either colleges, larger hairdressing academies or product manufacturers. For instance, after qualifying, I took additional barbering courses (not really covered in the general NVQ these days) with Matrix and also Wahl. Also, numerous courses on colouring run by the manufacturers. This is an excellent way to learn how different brands work best.

They are usually fairly inexpensive and excellent value and often taught by very experienced trainers. In fact, many colour courses are provided by the manufacturer for free.

There is no requirement to keep yourself updated though as there are in the regulated trades such as electricians, plumbers etc.

Presumably, if hairdressing was regulated in the UK, ongoing training would be mandatory.

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone else outside the UK about how hairdressing training is organised in their country. Is it similar to the UK or more regulated like in the US?

I look forward to reading more views and opinions on this one.

Thanks Tyler for the information. It's really interesting learning about how other countries train and certify hairdressing, especially for any geeks considering moving to another country.

In the UK, there are some colleges that offer a combined hair & beauty course but it's more common to study the two disciplines separately.

It sounds like your courses are geared towards younger entrants who can afford to study full-time? In the UK, younger students have the option to study entirely through college or a mix of salon based and college training. (A small minority of salons are accredited to train students themselves to the required NVQ without them having to attend a separate college.)

Do you know if mature entrants (over 25) still have to complete the full 1600 hour course?

In the UK, some colleges offer 'fast track' courses where you can become qualified in basic hairdressing skills in less than a year. They focus on the essential skills and theory but students are also required to undertake additional study at home. This is how I originally qualified.

How do qualified cosmetologists (love this word), keep up to date with their skills after qualifying? Are there any regulations governing continuing education that require people to keep up to date?

In the UK, we have access to numerous short courses run by either colleges, larger hairdressing academies or product manufacturers. For instance, after qualifying, I took additional barbering courses (not really covered in the general NVQ these days) with Matrix and also Wahl. Also, numerous courses on colouring run by the manufacturers. This is an excellent way to learn how different brands work best.

They are usually fairly inexpensive and excellent value and often taught by very experienced trainers. In fact, many colour courses are provided by the manufacturer for free.

There is no requirement to keep yourself updated though as there are in the regulated trades such as electricians, plumbers etc.

Presumably, if hairdressing was regulated in the UK, ongoing training would be mandatory.

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone else outside the UK about how hairdressing training is organised in their country. Is it similar to the UK or more regulated like in the US?

I look forward to reading more views and opinions on this one.

Yes, cosmetology covers everything over here. You can also do nail tech, or esthetician courses. Some states allow apprenticeships instead of classes. I did mine in Arizona, so none if that here.

You have to take the 1600 regardless of age. I did mine when I was 17, so it was no problem being able to go full time. There are also part time classes, those are 20 hours a week for about 2 years. They are done in the evening, vs full time being morning and days. Also the evenings are a bit slower, and at most you can take a client or two a day.

Continuing educations can be required depending on the state and the licenses you hold. In Arizona, you aren't required to take continued educations classes, unless you also hold an instructors license. If that's the case, it's 70 hours per year.

Most of our classes are at trade shows, or through a distributer. Here we have Armstrong McCall, Cosmoprof, and Saloncentric as our pro only stores. The distributer holds ye classes, and they are put on by the manufacturer or company. I know matrix have classes constantly. Also crew for men's cuts. They aren't too bad, most are around $50 ( around £30 ), and. Some give you a voucher for 20 or so with their product.

Do the salons over there have paid training? I would be interested in that, as well. Are most salons independently owned, or are there franchises?

This has been really interesting, thanks guys!

I'm potentially looking to move to the States (Boston) at some point with my husband. I'm not entirely due to visa restrictions whether I'll be able to do paid work but, being NVQ 3 qualified, I'm hoping that I might be able to get a bit of work experience.

I felt my college training was insufficient to say the least. I came out of my level 2 not even knowing what a short graduation was or having done a full head of highlights. My tutor knew where I was going to work once I'd qualified, so fast tracked me through in a year - on a part time course! Her reasoning being was; 'oh you'll learn more when you're there.'

Level 3 (at another college) wasn't much better. I didn't learn any new hair cuts and in fact they were just mainly concerned that I did my literacy and numeracy skills - despite already having a Bachelor of Science degree. I've been lucky that with my exceptionally skilled boss (who is also my best friend) and an unquenchable passion for learning, I've been slowly able to build up my knowledge base over the last three years.

It's just sad to think that some people will have had the same training with out the advantage. Some girls on my NVQ level 3 had no idea what a toner was, let alone having ever used one!!!

This has been really interesting, thanks guys!

I'm potentially looking to move to the States (Boston) at some point with my husband. I'm not entirely due to visa restrictions whether I'll be able to do paid work but, being NVQ 3 qualified, I'm hoping that I might be able to get a bit of work experience.

I felt my college training was insufficient to say the least. I came out of my level 2 not even knowing what a short graduation was or having done a full head of highlights. My tutor knew where I was going to work once I'd qualified, so fast tracked me through in a year - on a part time course! Her reasoning being was; 'oh you'll learn more when you're there.'

Level 3 (at another college) wasn't much better. I didn't learn any new hair cuts and in fact they were just mainly concerned that I did my literacy and numeracy skills - despite already having a Bachelor of Science degree. I've been lucky that with my exceptionally skilled boss (who is also my best friend) and an unquenchable passion for learning, I've been slowly able to build up my knowledge base over the last three years.

It's just sad to think that some people will have had the same training with out the advantage. Some girls on my NVQ level 3 had no idea what a toner was, let alone having ever used one!!!

Yeah, I'm not sure how licensing works internationally. We had a girl who had been hairdressing for 20+ years at our school when I was attending because they refused to recognize her training in Iran. You can always call the state board of cosmetology for Massachusetts and see what they would need. Sometimes it's as simple as getting statements from your coworkers that you have so much experience.

Education as a whole seems different over there. How can you not know what a toner is? Absolutely insane.

I trained in North Carolina, and when I came back to England, I had my cosmetology certificate from the college evaluated, and it is equivalent to NVQ level 3.

North Carolina requires 1500 hours, or 1200 and an apprenticeship. You have to complete a state mandated number of performances to graduate (75 haircuts, 100 styles, 20 colour applications, etc.) and then take the state licensure exams. North Carolina does require eight hours of continuing education each year.

I thought my training in NC was very good. My instructors strived to teach us to be cosmetologists, and not just equip us to pass the state exams, as some schools sadly do. More emphasis was put on hairdressing, but that's why we were all there.

Latest posts

Back