NVQ or VTCT?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMay

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to study beauty therapy, but am confused which qualification is better - NVQ or VTCT? I see both courses available, moreorless the same studying so what's the difference?

Thanks ;)

Did you find out or do either? I'm looking at hairdressing and am unsure what the difference between vtct level 2 and nvq level 2 are or if they're the same :/

Vtct is the name of an awarding body who can give you an nvq which is the qualification.

So you could do an nvq which is awarded by vtct (or another awarding body such as city and guilds or itec).

Or you could do another qualification such as a certificate or diploma that has been awarded by vtct.

An nvq will usually include more separate units than a diploma, then youve got your certificate followed by your award. That is to say that nvq has most units whereas an award has less.

Ultimately, anything given to you by vtct will be recognisable and employment worthy.

I have seen an nvq level 2 in a further education college or a vtct level 2 diploma in an academy. The academy hours are a lot better for me but don't want to go for it if an employer would only recognise the nvq or if the diploma is a lesser qualification :/

Sooooo confusing lol :/

My instinct would be to go for the nvq but to get some more fact behind your decision i recommend phoning each course provider and asking what each course covers.

I've got an interview in the college tomorrow morning and have just arranged to go to the academy straight after so will hopefully know a bit more :) thank you all :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373458229.489506.jpg this is the vtct diploma course.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373458252.609264.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373458260.727276.jpg these are the nvq 2 course.

Is it worth to upgrade the diploma to nvq one field only, for example diploma in Facial to nvqL2 facial?

I'm not sure what you mean by upgrade but the long and short of it is to ensure that for everything you learn, I would recommend obtaining a recognised qualification for it so anything from vtct/cityandguilds/itec in facials (or another treatment) will be worthwhile :)

Both courses look like they cover a worthwhile content Dani88. I personally think that to have nvq written on paper looks better but to be honest, a lot of colleges are offering diplomas rather than nvqs these days to the point that you sometimes have to look further afield in some areas to do an nvq anyway and thus a diploma might become more of a norm sometime soon anyway.

When it comes to choosing where to study, listen to what your instinct says about a place overall but also bear in mind cost and how much time you will be given in class because especially with hairdressing, anything that has a home learning type feel to it won't give you the best support and feedback on your learning journey.

Have fun. At least tomorrow you should have a good idea of how you're going to proceed. It's exciting really :)

Thank you :) very exciting, I'm 25 :/ but it is something I have always wanted to do and I am finally getting it done! :)

I will definitely take cost into consideration to as I am paying in full due to my age and already having nvqs in business admin level 2 & 3 :/ the college 1 hasn't got a fee yet but hopefully they're not much different in price so I can choose the right college based on the course :)

Can I ask something regarding NVQ & VTCT's.....

If you have done an NVQ at level 2, can u go and do a VTCT at level 3??

This has already been asked...

VTCT is not a qualification....VTCT stands for Vocational Training and Charitable Trust. They are an awarding body, who offers qualifications. They offer NVQ qualifications as well as others.

NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification, and is a qualification in your chosen subject, at your chosen level (2, 3, 4 etc). NVQs are offered by lots of different awarding bodies, such as VTCT, City & Guilds, ITEC, CIBTAC, CIDESCO etc... NVQ Level 3 beauty should be virtually identical no matter which awarding body your chosen college uses. There are some variations, but NVQ 3 is generally the same across the board...

You can do your NVQ level 2 with one awarding body (VTCT, for example), and your NVQ3 with another if you choose to. At the end, you will still have NVQ2 & 3.

I hope this helps you understand how qualifications work a little better...

VTCT is not a qualification....VTCT stands for Vocational Training and Charitable Trust. They are an awarding body, who offers qualifications. They offer NVQ qualifications as well as others.

NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification, and is a qualification in your chosen subject, at your chosen level (2, 3, 4 etc). NVQs are offered by lots of different awarding bodies, such as VTCT, City & Guilds, ITEC, CIBTAC, CIDESCO etc... NVQ Level 3 beauty should be virtually identical no matter which awarding body your chosen college uses. There are some variations, but NVQ 3 is generally the same across the board...

You can do your NVQ level 2 with one awarding body (VTCT, for example), and your NVQ3 with another if you choose to. At the end, you will still have NVQ2 & 3.

Thats made something that was as clear as mud now become as clear as crystal... am still doing the level3 regardless, just wondered if i would be accepted onto a level 3 from VTCT after doing a Level 2 NVQ, you have answered my question, am happy.... Thank you :D

I aim to please! It's a minefield, glad I could help you out

I aim to please! It's a minefield, glad I could help you out

It most certainly is a minefield.... But thanks to you, its no longer a minefield, lol.... thanks again x

Do you mean NVQ 2 and 3 in general including all area in beauty (wax, make up, nail, facial, etc..). My question is if one field with NVQ for example facial is recognised by the industry and enough if one wants to only work in this field?

If someone advertises VTCT lv2 or lv 3 in beauty therapy what qualification is that?

Ps, sorry if I'm being thick just can't seem to get my head round it! :-0 x x

I can't answer the last question as there not enough information there. I would assume its NVQ level 2 & 3 if VTCT is your awarding body, but they may also offer VRQs so you'd need to check with the college.

I can't answer the last question as there not enough information there. I would assume its NVQ level 2 & 3 if VTCT is your awarding body, but they may also offer VRQs so you'd need to check with the college.

Sorry ignore me I think I'm muddling up VCTC with VRQ's :-/ lol x

Do you mean NVQ 2 and 3 in general including all area in beauty (wax, make up, nail, facial, etc..). My question is if one field with NVQ for example facial is recognised by the industry and enough if one wants to only work in this field?

I think what you're asking is can you do facials only and still be qualified? Sorry, that's how I've interpreted your question, hope,it's right.

The answer is yes, and you may be studying facials at a level 2 standard, but this means that you have passed one MODULE of a full NVQ. You would not have a full NVQ at the end, but you would have passed the facials part of the course up to the required standard. So you'd be qualified in facials, but not in anything else. And you wouldn't be able to say you had an NVQ,because that involves studying ALL of the modules that make up the full NVQ.

Latest posts

Back