NVQ & VRQ help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's your future that you need to think about not just the convenience of the travel, I travelled 1.5 to college but only once a week. I think an hour is an acceptable travel time for college and also working. Don't limit yourself like that!

of course the college will tell you that, they aren't going to tell you to attend another college and loose a student.

My advice is go suss out the other colleges yourself then make a decision.

Personally, and I really don't want to sound like I am being mean this is just how I operate, I would hire a salon trained stylist over a college NVQ trained stylist, who I would hire over a VRQ trained stylist in most circumstances.

Even NVQ Level 3 trained stylists leave college needing more experience and expertise in my personal opinion, so I can't see any hope for VRQ students - who have studied for less time and done less assessments.

Also - I expect everybody in my salon to use the same tools and equipment as it presents a united front and a sleek image (this of course means I would provide said equipment). I wouldn't be impressed with you bringing in your own pink equipment as to me it suggests you chose them because they were cute and not because you researched different brands and chose high quality products.

P.S - I travelled over 1hr each way to the college I did my NVQ 3 at because it has the best reviews and standards locally, and I would've done this if it was a choice between VRQ and NVQ as well. That was for 4 days each week for a year.

It is worth it for a better education.

I didn't want to be mean either but my NVQ level 3 tutor told me a vrq isn't worth the paper is written on in hairdressing a NVQ is a stronger qualification it's refinished world wide I have a NVQ in hair extensions I can go anywhere in the world and still be qualified to do hair extensions don't think you can with a vrq only in the Britain! That's what I got told.
Personally I think a vrq level 3 is a very short corse how can you cover every aspect of colour correction in that time over the NVQ being 2 yrs I know who I would rather employ x

I didn't want to be mean either but my NVQ level 3 tutor told me a vrq isn't worth the paper is written on in hairdressing a NVQ is a stronger qualification it's refinished world wide I have a NVQ in hair extensions I can go anywhere in the world and still be qualified to do hair extensions don't think you can with a vrq only in the Britain! That's what I got told.
Personally I think a vrq level 3 is a very short corse how can you cover every aspect of colour correction in that time over the NVQ being 2 yrs I know who I would rather employ x

Ment to say recognised*

Ive skipped a few posts but do agree with classix re "very relaxed qual" comment.

I would just say for an over 19 there is ZERO other choice, (ok 1% can pay 13k for T&g academy) OP will also have to accept nvq trained apprentices will probably never look at vrq comparably as colleagues or employees but the thing is as adults.... IT DOESNT MATTER

Move on, work mobile, use resources such as SG, do add on courses at wella or goldwell (hey they dont care if vrq or nvq, this is where you become 'inline') you can still be successful & be self employed in a salon or even open your own.

And op, i had lots of clients in college... and lots of lazy 17yos refusing to service clients, yes somedays i did face 6 clients roll in at the same time & had to organise the book between two working level 2 and a handfull of l1's (start colour on #1, send l1 to wash #2, send #3 for complimentary conditioning treatment, cut #2 while #1 develops, cut #3 while #2 & #1is drying, blow #4 for colleague while she covers 2 regrowths etc etc, fab days and great when a college client comes into my salon and asks for me to do regrowth.

Oh and at the end of the year we got treatments paid for by the department so everyone could be assessed on clients, our college would not allow block assessments (aside from perm), if you didnt do it you had to do summer school or fail!. I agree blocks are not real people.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for everyone's advice, I think it's clear that I'm going to have to find a way of doing the NVQ so I'll have to have a ring round in the morning. X :)

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I have sorted out a course in a different college now. I'll now be going to Canterbury college and going the NVQ route. It turns out the uniform is different but that's all I've lost as I can use my kit there the same :) X

Well done you I think you made the right choice! X

Hi a vrq actually benefits u more Hun u are marked as a pass, merit or distinction rather than an nvq is a pass or fail that's on each assessment. I done my svq level 2 and girls who where much better than others got the same certificate meaning when girls or guys with less skill where getting jobs and the better ones weren't. With the vrq if u pass every assessment with a distinction and joe blogs only passes with a pass ur more likely to get the job hope this makes sense xxx

You've definitely made the right decision ... it's going to pay off in the long term for you in the sense that you have put so much effort into researching it and choosing the best path so I am sure you will be equally dedicated in class and be fab.

Good luck!

Hi a vrq actually benefits u more Hun u are marked as a pass, merit or distinction rather than an nvq is a pass or fail that's on each assessment. I done my svq level 2 and girls who where much better than others got the same certificate meaning when girls or guys with less skill where getting jobs and the better ones weren't. With the vrq if u pass every assessment with a distinction and joe blogs only passes with a pass ur more likely to get the job hope this makes sense xxx

No that Doesn't really make sense! Lol they have to mark you like that with a vrq because its a weaker qualification than a NVQ! That's a fact! A student with a NVQ and a pass on every assessment would win a job over a vrq with with a distinction on every assessment every time so I Don't no were you heard that! Even if they were the same practical skilled a NVQ student would have more knowledge with a NVQ level 3 being a 2 yr corse and vrq being 1 I no who I would rather employ all day long!

Hey becstar it's just how it was put to me from the head of department lol I am on the vrq in September once that's finished I will have done three years training xx

My college offered both NVQ and VRQ. After you completed level 2 the tutors decided which you could go on to for level 3 dependant on your ability. The more capable and confident students went on the level 3 course and the weaker ones were put on VRQ. I think it was a way of letting everyone reach their maximum potential. No offence meant to anyone, this is just how it was at my college.

I've just found out a new girl in my salon has the VRQ in hairdressing. Apparently our local college will only do NVQ on apprenticeships. The full time college gets put on the VRQ. They work 1 day a week in the college salon on clients. Her previous employers have never question her qualification at all which I was very surprised at. I've heard of quite a few hairdressers only having the VRQ not a NVQ. She's a brilliant hairdresser tho. Also we had another girl in today for a trade test. Level 2&3 with this VRQ Qualified only 3 month and she did a brilliant colour and cut. (Better then some with a NVQ).

I've just found out a new girl in my salon has the VRQ in hairdressing. Apparently our local college will only do NVQ on apprenticeships. The full time college gets put on the VRQ. They work 1 day a week in the college salon on clients. Her previous employers have never question her qualification at all which I was very surprised at. I've heard of quite a few hairdressers only having the VRQ not a NVQ. She's a brilliant hairdresser tho. Also we had another girl in today for a trade test. Level 2&3 with this VRQ Qualified only 3 month and she did a brilliant colour and cut. (Better then some with a NVQ).

That's more down to the person though we are talking about the actual qualification and NVQ is the stronger one of the 2 x

Oh right. I agree tho, it's defo a stronger qualification 👍

Why would an employer "question" an nvq or vrq? They are both propper qualifications no matter what you all think, I don't think this thread is very encouraging for people who are going to start normal colleges soon as they will only be offered the vrq, the nvq is done through apprenticeship now unless you pay or find some kind of work scheme that offers nvq's, the vrq is marked with pass merit & distinction which sort of Challenges the "very relaxed qualification" attitude implied on this thread, I'm not denying that colleges are dragging no hoping losers who'll never work in the industry through the courses with "passes" so they keep their funding, but give a thought to those who work their butts off to get their distinctions and are proud of their diplomas and very good at what they've learnt, usually with a LOT more underpinning knowledge too! Whatever the option vrq or nvq you WILL be qualified to the same standard as long as you work hard enough! This nvq is best nonsense is a very old fashioned attitude, If you read all the comments in this thread you can see it's equally good and bad with both nvq & vrq so don't be swayed into thinking you'll only get a job with an nvq coz that's simply not true

Ok so drop the VRQ/NVQ titles. It's has always been that students with salon experience or apprentices have a much higher chance of getting a job that someone in full time education.

Employers need to be very clear about what is required after education. As colleges will tell you anything to get you to enrol and pass you.

It's not saying you won't get a job with a VRQ but NVQ is more preferred along with industry experience.

Also the proof is in the pudding, I have a VRQ level 3 boy currently and we are basically starting to retrain from the start of level 2 and he will enrol on NVQ level 3. To be honest on a higher wage and a tonne of retraining you would struggle to find employers who would do this. Let alone get a job on the shop floor.

I also have a NVQ 2 girl - much less effort more ready to work, is earning the salon money because she can work to timings and is more commercially aware.

Both employees have great personalities which is why retraining has been offered.

But trust me, we trade test a lot of college leavers- the standard is low. 2/3 years in college and can't hold scissors or pick out colours for a client is pretty shocking.

Latest posts

Back