NVQ's - does anyone know if....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loufd

Reaction score
Hi,

I was speaking to a girl who has completed her NVQ level 2 at a college near me, she has been told that in 2007 it will be compulsary for all beauticians to have an NVQ, otherwise they will be fined £2000 and their salon closed down with immediate effect.

Does anyone know if this is true or if it's just the college scaremongering the students into coming back and completing their level 3. And if it is true what will happen to all the beauticians out there who are working but don't have nvq's??

Also...how does this affect Educators, ie we teach people to an industry standard and issue them with certificates from our training houses (ie creative, ezflow, star) which are recognised by insurance companies but these are not NVQ certificates....

Any feedback would be much appreciated, many thanks

I just cant ever see this happening ;)

i'm with the Geek on this one and do think that there is quite a bit of difference in standards of training offered to nail techs and beauty therapists.

Even though a therapist may have an NVQ 2 or 3, their abilities and understanding may vary considerably due to the whole nature of the assessments and assessors

Although i have completed my NVQ 3 this has not always been recognised or maybe should i say respected by other training organisations as it is claimed that the standards vary quite a lot nationwide.

I can understand there point of view but it is very undermining to those of us who do have the ability to have this credit deminished because of the variation in standards.

so going back to your question no i don't think it can be enforced mainly because some people don't think it is worth the paper it is written on

Who is going to be doing this fining and closing down of businesses????!!!

Every industry sector should be working towards better standards bu there is no government agency who are in the business of wanting to close salons. This can only relate to LA licensing and that is in place in certain areas already. It is not only NVQ based, it is any acceptable qualification.

Thank you all for your replies, I'll be seeing the girl in question today and will pass them all on to her.

It would make you wonder what sort of people are teaching in this college giving the students information like that :rolleyes: .

Thanks again people,

My lecturer told me something similar but it was more along the lines of therapists would need to have a recognised formal qualification to get insurance to work.

Latest posts

Back