Off acrylic shopping today, need a few tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahKate

Reaction score
hi guys!
So since I'm failing badly at getting acrylic right at the moment, I'm off to Capital this morning.
I've done my training and just waiting for assessment date at the moment but I'm stressing because I just can't get acrylic right.
Whenever I've done it, it ends up really lumpy and uneven, I can't work out why it's going so wrong!
I'm wondering wether it might be the materials I'm using, as I didn't have as much trouble with it on my training course.
So, my question is, do you think maybe lesser known brands perform badly?
I'm aiming to go and get some NSI as I've read on here that it's pretty popular, but I also need a good brush, any tips for how to find a good brush?
Sorry for all the questions I just so badly want to get this right, so today is my mission!

I have had the same problems when I first started. Some schools use so cheap brands it makes you wanna cry.
First thing I changed, I tried a better brand. Not too expensive, as that was going to waste anyway, but good enough to help in my training. I got EzFlow to train with and it was a HUGE improvement.
Some people say it's better to train directly in the brand you are eventually going to use, but honestly I just couldn't afford to throw away so much money on products for training. Not to mention I had no idea which brand I was eventually going to use and still don't, I'm still trying out.
But my problem was not really in the powder as in the liquid. The one I had to train with was setting too fast and I wasn't experienced enough to handle that. So by the time I got to even place one bead, it would be already half-set and impossible to work with, hence lots of lamps. So find yourself a liquid you feel comfortable working with. Naio nails - not a pro brand - have 3 liquids, one of them sets really slow and it's cheap enough to use for training. Ink London has also got very good reviews about their Acrylink line.
Another thing was that at first I had some no-name generic acrylic brushes and they were HORRIBLE! Their hair went all over the place after a couple of tries. At first I also didn't know how to clean them properly, but even after they were spotless of any powder residue I still couldn't work with them. So I went along and bought a CND acrylic brush. Best thing I did, I love that brush, although it's quite small (#6, because #8 and #10 were out of stock at the time) and I have to buy a bigger one.

Sometimes it really is in the products. Get yourself a decent brush and find yourself a brand with a slow setting monomer to start with. Your performance will improve in the first try.
Other good brushes are also Harmony 2-piece brush (the back serves also as a lid) and Ink London brush (also a cheap but pro brand)

Good hunting

hi guys!
So since I'm failing badly at getting acrylic right at the moment, I'm off to Capital this morning.
I've done my training and just waiting for assessment date at the moment but I'm stressing because I just can't get acrylic right.
Whenever I've done it, it ends up really lumpy and uneven, I can't work out why it's going so wrong!
I'm wondering wether it might be the materials I'm using, as I didn't have as much trouble with it on my training course.
So, my question is, do you think maybe lesser known brands perform badly?
I'm aiming to go and get some NSI as I've read on here that it's pretty popular, but I also need a good brush, any tips for how to find a good brush?
Sorry for all the questions I just so badly want to get this right, so today is my mission!
Hi Hannah
I have just got my acrylic perfected and found The edge brand the best and easy to work with, you can buy the whole set. A good efile with at least 3000rpm helps to smooth the acrylic after application. The most important thing is nail prep the acrylic once on can be sorted out. X

Thankyou both so much
I'm on my way to capital now to see what they have, it's reassuring that people improved when switching brands/brushes

A good brush makes a world of difference but so do good quality products, I originally trained with essential nails but now use INKLondons L+P system - big difference in the workability of product.

Also a efile has been recommended, as your new to L+P I wouldn't bother, learn to master the product , the use of your brush and your application so you don't rely on one, I think the advice of once acrylic is on it can be sorted isn't a great piece of advice tbh, you should be aiming for as perfect application as possible, you also need training for a efile otherwise insurance won't cover it if you cause damage x

Hi there

Did you enjoy your course? And what products did you use in your course

Thankyou so much everyone this has been so helpful
I'm chuffed, I went and bought a trial pack of NSI L&P and a new brush and GOD what a difference! Still very far from confident to do acrylic on anyone but the application is so much smoother and nicer to work with.
I absolutely loved my course thankyou, I just wish we had more time as like I say, I'm not confident with acrylic or hard gel at all yet. We trained using Cuccio.
I'm still going to keep my eye out for another brush, the one I got was from The Edge I think it's something like a no.8 round sable brush? But I'm keen to find the best brush ever

I recently ordered cjp and acrylink... both get a thumbs up... but still confused.. id recommend you order the trial

I struggle with round brushes and much prefer a flat crimped brush. I used Nsi royal precision which I loved and their acrylic and have recently changed over to CJP nail systems acrylic and brushes.
Their acrylic is a dream to work with and their no 10 brush is the perfect size (more like an 8) and firm enough that you have good control.
Their acrylic comes in 2 different speeds the original being the slower. It self levels yet doesn't move so it is very easy to apply, file and remove.

So toying with the idea of trying CJP, I keep adding the trial kit and brush to my bag then don't purchase - battling with myself

I've only just seen CJP, heard nothing but good reviews on it so far. I'm a die hard CND girl but want to explore other options. I like the sound Of this as I've always struggled with acrylic...people's opinions would be fab! Xx

I bought the trial kit, then done my nails soon as it arrived, then the next day asked my dad to order me the kit as an early birthday pressie, gorgeous stuff to work with! Try the trial kit it's only £10 x

I've only just seen CJP, heard nothing but good reviews on it so far. I'm a die hard CND girl but want to explore other options. I like the sound Of this as I've always struggled with acrylic...people's opinions would be fab! Xx

Vic its sooo worth getting the trial kit! I love CJP acrylic, so easy to work with & files a dream.

I dont think they post out of the UK yet, so if you need some sent to Malta let me know on FB & I can forward some on :D
Michelle xx

Vic its sooo worth getting the trial kit! I love CJP acrylic, so easy to work with & files a dream.

I dont think they post out of the UK yet, so if you need some sent to Malta let me know on FB & I can forward some on :D
Michelle xx
I'm actually coming back to Scotland in November anyway so I'll get some then :) things haven't really gone to plan here but it's been a great experience & I'm looking forward to starting up again at home when I've saved a bit :) thank god I took all my nail stuff here with me & I don't have it all to buy again!

Thank you for the lovely offer though :) I'm defo gonna get the trial kit! What tips go you use with it? Or do you use forms? Xx

I have to say crystal nails brushes are fab.... you should get a no 8 no 6 brushes. ... it will make a eorld of difference. .. practice practice practice.....

Latest posts

Back