OK Brits... What is VAT?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxprincess

Reaction score
I just ordered Lily Lolo makeup and saw VAT on my order form. I'm from the US and I have no idea what this is. Can someone tell me, is it like a tax?

Yup, VAT stands for Value Added Tax (in theory it's only on 'luxury' goods, so not on food, children's clothing, books, but in reality it's on most things!). I didn't think you pay it if you live outside the EU, but I'm not completely sure.....

What's different to the US though is that it's included in the price that's on the goods so it's not added on at the point of paying.

hth's!

I am pretty certain that you can claim it back. If you ask your IRS advisor or local office they should be able to give you a form to fill out that and tell you where to send it.

Trish :hug:

it is a disease.

Yeah, non EU citizens can claim back the VAT (Sales Tax), unfortunately non US citizens can't claim back the sales tax when we shop there.

If it's a disease... I DON'T WANT IT!! Wait, I don't want it anyway! I don't think the 4 or 5 pounds I pay is worth it to try and get back. It' s present for you guys!

If it's a disease... I DON'T WANT IT!! Wait, I don't want it anyway! I don't think the 4 or 5 pounds I pay is worth it to try and get back. It' s present for you guys!
Thanks, could I have it personally please - I am a very needy case:green:

Latest posts

Back