Old colour stock, need help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpina

Reaction score
Last year I got upset with Goldwell and we changed colour companies. We ran a few specials on colour to get rid of the old goldwell colours. At this stage all the colours would have been around 6 months old at the oldest, some maybe slightly older.

We had two clients in the same week complain about their (permanent) colour washing out after the first wash. I saw one clients hair and it had come almost completely out, this was about 3 days after her appointment. The second client we did not see but I do tend to believe her as she was not the only one.

A few weeks later we went to bleach my hair and the bleach stank. It wasn't mixing properly and was really runny. We called one of our other suppliers and she told us the bleach was off it that happened, but it was only 6 months old at that time. We tossed it out but I'm not happy about it being out of date so soon after purchase.

There's a lot of money tied up in the colours so I'm hesitant to throw them out but I'm not willing to use them on clients after the other two experiences. I would try them in my own hair but I'm blonde and find the goldwell toners pretty useless anyway so I doubt I would notice if the colour didn't hold.

I'm just worried that the colours might out of date too after finding the bleach was. If they were out of date would that cause the colour to wash out of hair on the first wash? I was under the impression that tint had a longer shelf life than this?

Last year I got upset with Goldwell and we changed colour companies. We ran a few specials on colour to get rid of the old goldwell colours. At this stage all the colours would have been around 6 months old at the oldest, some maybe slightly older.

We had two clients in the same week complain about their (permanent) colour washing out after the first wash. I saw one clients hair and it had come almost completely out, this was about 3 days after her appointment. The second client we did not see but I do tend to believe her as she was not the only one.

A few weeks later we went to bleach my hair and the bleach stank. It wasn't mixing properly and was really runny. We called one of our other suppliers and she told us the bleach was off it that happened, but it was only 6 months old at that time. We tossed it out but I'm not happy about it being out of date so soon after purchase.

There's a lot of money tied up in the colours so I'm hesitant to throw them out but I'm not willing to use them on clients after the other two experiences. I would try them in my own hair but I'm blonde and find the goldwell toners pretty useless anyway so I doubt I would notice if the colour didn't hold.

I'm just worried that the colours might out of date too after finding the bleach was. If they were out of date would that cause the colour to wash out of hair on the first wash? I was under the impression that tint had a longer shelf life than this?

This is where you miss out the wholesalers and go straight back to goldwell dircet, get one of their reps out and send it all back for investigation

!! but as it's been so long i'm not sure what you can do....it might just be a case that you will have to breath deeply and just throw it all out! x

Goldwell themselves are a joke, we were told we were just mixing it wrong when I called about the bleach. They also wont let us return colours when they send the wrong one to us. I just don't deal with them at all anymore and no longer have an account with them.

How long should colour/bleach last? I would think it would be 12 months or 24 months. I will throw it all if I need to, just really hoping I don't have to. Might have to get some family members in for some free colours I think and test them out properly.

Goldwell themselves are a joke, we were told we were just mixing it wrong when I called about the bleach. They also wont let us return colours when they send the wrong one to us. I just don't deal with them at all anymore and no longer have an account with them.

How long should colour/bleach last? I would think it would be 12 months or 24 months. I will throw it all if I need to, just really hoping I don't have to. Might have to get some family members in for some free colours I think and test them out properly.

everything should have a little sign on it which is a shelf life sticker once opened, like 6,12,18,24 months

it will gut you to throw them but it's a cocktail of chemicals in their and if their is something wrong with them it's better to be on the safe side.

what brand have you swapped too? ever used kuene? or matrix? x

All my colours from my recent order, are dated best to use before November 2014, so it seems a bit soon for them to be going off?

Bleach is a dried powder and contains no moisture - it's impossible for it to "go off" as it doesn't contain an environment that harbours bacteria and allows them to thrive, nor oxygen to begin to chemically alter it.

If this all happened within the same time period, I would advise you check your peroxide instead. Maybe someone left the cap unscrewed slightly? Or perhaps it was labelled incorrectly? This does happen occasionally and we've experienced both throughout the years.

When it comes to using old colour stock I found the best way to do it is this: Match up the Goldwell colours (using the shade chart) to your new colour line. Don't rely on the letters on numbers and simply "transfer them", for example, you might think that 7G in Goldwell would be the same as 7G in Matrix, but you will usually find this isn't true across the range. Using the shade charts you might find that 7G in Goldwell matches up to 6G in Matrix.

Once you have discovered what each of the equivalents are, get some stickers and re-label your Goldwell boxes with the equivalent shade in your new line. Throwaway or hide the Goldwell shade chart and only use the new shade chart when doing consultations.

Make sure that all staff know they must use the "stickered" boxes before opening a new box of tint. If they don't do this, simply remove ALL tints that have a "stickered" equivalent until it is used up, and then replace it with the 'real one'.

The only wastage you will have is when a Goldwell colour does not match ANY shade in your new shade chart. My advice? Throw it away or give it to a member of staff to use on their mobile clients. If your new line doesn't have the shade, there's no point stocking it for use on a salon client.

Best of luck.

I will check all the products for an expiry sign when I get back in on Tuesday, they don't have a use by date but maybe there is a shelf life marked on them.

The bleach was an unopened tub and when we opened it up it smelled like roadkill so there was definitely something wrong with it.

I really like the idea of remarking all the tubes with the new colour and using them up that way. I think I'll buy some new developer and try again on a couple of family members.

Bluerinse, We have swapped to a brand called Jeval. It's fairly new and I don't know how common it is. It's quite cheap (compared with goldwell anyway) and marketed as an organic, 1% ammonia product. I had never heard of it but was urged by one of my hairdressers to look into it as she had tried it herself. I trialed it for a few months and we were very impressed with it. As they are only new they only have a range of colour, bleach, shampoo and conditioners. They are still in development with their styling range so we need to choose a different range. At the moment we are still retailing goldwell but have almost gotten rid of it all.

My senior hairdresser just purchased some keune repair products for herself and is liking them a lot. She got me a keune 10.2 which we used last time we did my hair and I love the colour but do plan to stick with Jeval for our colours. I'm going to get myself a few keune and a few other brands of styling product and start trialing them now. I'm hoping to introduce our new range in the next couple of months.

I will check all the products for an expiry sign when I get back in on Tuesday, they don't have a use by date but maybe there is a shelf life marked on them.

The bleach was an unopened tub and when we opened it up it smelled like roadkill so there was definitely something wrong with it.

I really like the idea of remarking all the tubes with the new colour and using them up that way. I think I'll buy some new developer and try again on a couple of family members.

Bluerinse, We have swapped to a brand called Jeval. It's fairly new and I don't know how common it is. It's quite cheap (compared with goldwell anyway) and marketed as an organic, 1% ammonia product. I had never heard of it but was urged by one of my hairdressers to look into it as she had tried it herself. I trialed it for a few months and we were very impressed with it. As they are only new they only have a range of colour, bleach, shampoo and conditioners. They are still in development with their styling range so we need to choose a different range. At the moment we are still retailing goldwell but have almost gotten rid of it all.

My senior hairdresser just purchased some keune repair products for herself and is liking them a lot. She got me a keune 10.2 which we used last time we did my hair and I love the colour but do plan to stick with Jeval for our colours. I'm going to get myself a few keune and a few other brands of styling product and start trialing them now. I'm hoping to introduce our new range in the next couple of months.

Keune is a really great range and quite big out there from what my friend told me, she used to live there and trained at Shermans academy? Matrix is another great one, I use that now and live it but am also looking into Keune. X

Im in Australia too and I do Mobile hairdressing Ive often thought that the heat here in australia lately may have something to do with colours going off obviously depending on how the are stored, i worry about transporting colour in a hot car . But you say your colours are only 6 months old they should last a lot longer than that in my experience. Complain to goldwell in writing to the person in the highest position possible. I complained about my colour range as the tubes were all badly damaged during packing. They really looked after me. Its worth a shot, no one can afford wastage to this extent.

All the very best to you

Alpina, Jeval is made by the same Italian factory as other lines you have out there such as Greenline and Affinage. If you ever run out of Jeval (or even if you just want to check the prices) look up GreenLine and Affinage. ;)

Sorry for bringing up and old subject - but I have some useful info on this subject :

Hair color tubes normally have a shelf life of some 3-5 years, I just had one that expired - the tube was inflated and bulkier than normal, also, considering most tubes are filled from the back, if you gently squeeze the end of the tube and feel like there's air in it = it's expired and the content has oxidized (which creates gas in the tube).

As for this specific case of color washing out - if you used a peroxide of 20-30 vol (6-9 %), check for the line of demarcation where the peroxide would have lifted the natural color, the existence and level of lift there should be a hint of expired peroxide.

HTH :)

Bit late again but might help anyone else.

Bleach powder can be contaminated by damp, then it tends to go very runny when mixed. If you look at the powder it's a lighter blue and a bit crumbly.

Thinking about it, I use gold well bleach, and the last two tubs I've bought have gone 'hard' as if they got damp. The tops are sealed with foil, and are kept in the main room in my salon. They've not mixed terribly well, and seemed gritty. Maybe there's a production issue going on.

Latest posts

Back