Older Trainee - New career!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hewitd01

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I gave up my sales career over 5 years ago to bring up my 2 sons. I trained in spray tanning to get out of the house and earn some extra cash. 2 years in and I now have a good client base but I want to do more. I have completed a CND course in basic Manicures and am booked on a waxing course soon.

My question is..... would salons employ someone older (im 32) with little or no experience? I really want to get in to the beauty industry but having to fund these courses myself is very difficult! Would I be employable with just tanning, waxing and manicure qualifications? I have recently seen a level 2 beauty course advertised at my local college - which would cost me another £250 so dont want to do it if its not worth it?

Please advise, I cant afford to waste money but am willing to invest in my career - what is the best way to get in to the industry as an old lady! lol!

Thanks.xxx:eek:

Hiya I think it would depend on the salon owner, I personally would as you obviously want this and you already have a good client base. Sometimes the younger ones don't have as much life skills so can't make good conversation.

Also in regards to only being able to do a few treatments, I have a employee who was part time and all she done for a long time was tans and waxing and she's just added nails.

Hope this helps you :)

Hi,

Generally you will find that salons and spas ask for NVQ2 and NVQ3, but you may be lucky and find a salon owner who's willing to take you on.

In my experience working in the industry, therapists who are older tend to have a more loyal client base. This is not ALWAYS the case but it certainly does seem an advantage from what I've seen. A client in her 60s booking, for example, a bikini wax might feel uncomfortable if a glamorous 18 year old came to greet her (not suggesting you aren't glamorous :biggrin:)

The same goes for manicures - I'd imagine a client in her 30s who's perhaps married with kids would prefer to spend an hour chatting to a therapist who can relate to her.

Just my two penneth, but I can't see your age being a problem as long as you do a cracking trade test. I'd definitely recommend completing NVQ2 and 3 though, as this will increase your employability.

Good luck :Love:

Thanks so much for your replies, I have had a look at college courses, unfortunately the NVQ courses are out of the question for now. the ones offered are full time and with the cost of the course and childcare on top it just isnt doable. I may go on the Beauty Therapy Level 2 Certificate accredited by NCFE which is part time and I can pay monthly installments towards it.

I also have my mother in laws friend who is a fully qualified therapist with over 30 years experience who is willing to help me and teach me all she knows.

I suppose if all else fails I will go it alone and set up my own business from home after practicing on everyone i know! I just wanted some salon experience for confidence.

Thanks, Claire.xxx:biggrin:

I was 28 when I went back to college to train and got a job in a spa once I'd finished aged 30. I've never found being 'older' an issue as I have other skills to offer. I'm now 38 & have never looked back. It is very scary though that 10 years have flown by!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks so much for your replies, I have had a look at college courses, unfortunately the NVQ courses are out of the question for now. the ones offered are full time and with the cost of the course and childcare on top it just isnt doable. I may go on the Beauty Therapy Level 2 Certificate accredited by NCFE which is part time and I can pay monthly installments towards it.

I also have my mother in laws friend who is a fully qualified therapist with over 30 years experience who is willing to help me and teach me all she knows.

I suppose if all else fails I will go it alone and set up my own business from home after practicing on everyone i know! I just wanted some salon experience for confidence.

Thanks, Claire.xxx:biggrin:

I would urge you not to do nfce because i don't think it's recognised as well as nvq 2 and 3. There's a good reason why nvqs cost more and that's because they are work ready.

With and nvq 2 and 3 there would be larger spas willing to take you post college. I would recommend this route if it's possible.

I would urge you not to do nfce because i don't think it's recognised as well as nvq 2 and 3. There's a good reason why nvqs cost more and that's because they are work ready.

With and nvq 2 and 3 there would be larger spas willing to take you post college. I would recommend this route if it's possible.

Do you think it would be completely pointless doing the nfce? NVQ isnt an option for me for the forseable future unfortunately. I dont want to waste time and money doing a course that will not benefit me in any way.

Thanks x

Type in NCFE in the search option and there's quite a few threads about this qualification. There's one where the lady did the beauty ncfe and her certificate says NCFE in creative crafts, it doesn't mention beauty and was classed as a Hobby qualification not a work qualification.

Why not contact some spas/salons and explain the situation and ask what their minimum requirements and qualifications you'll need are.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You can do most NVQ/VRQ courses part time and pay in installments if that helps! :)

Ok, point taken, i will keep my £250.00 and put it towards a more recognised course that will offer me more of a chance of gaining employment. Thanks so much, this is why i love this site!

Going to look in to NVQ part time options and see if I can pay in installments etc. Thanks everyone.xxx:biggrin:

i did my training and nvq with the beauty academy, they have places all over the country and also do flexi learning, so you can choose which days suit you, and also do part payments. as thats what i did. started training with them in march and now doing all my coursework and assesssments and etc for my nvq.

Most colleges you can pay by installments, colleges I have looked at vary between 4, 6 and 10 payments, paid monthly, speak too student services.
Private courses will probably require fees paid up front.

As i already have a spray tan certificate, CND manicure qualification and soon to have a waxing qualification, Do you think I need the NVQ course? It seems to cover a lot of what i have already done ie manicures/pedicures/waxing.

Sorry if im asking too much!! You really are helping me out!:smack:

The Nvq will cover, waxing, facials, makeup, manicure, pedicure, salon duties ie reception, anatomy and physiology, eyelash tinting, eyebrow tinting.
I would personally do the Nvq, it would look better on your cv but if you are planning on working for yourself or being mobile then the Nvq qualification isn't so necessary. But my vote is for the NVQ qualification

As i already have a spray tan certificate, CND manicure qualification and soon to have a waxing qualification, Do you think I need the NVQ course? It seems to cover a lot of what i have already done ie manicures/pedicures/waxing.

I would do the full nvq qualification because this will probably be more cost and time effective than trying to source/do each unit separately...spray tanning is a level 3 qualification and you are likely to need to do the manicure part of the nvq to ensure that all insurers will recognise it (cnd is amazing and I bet you do an awesome manicure treatment but on paper having the nvq in manicure is very versatile for working for someone else and using their products).

Hi, only just saw your post, but gateway workshops
Gateway Workshops - Massage Courses UK - Home Page

do a level 2 and 3 beauty course accredited by the guild and ABT that is completed at home, you do have do 4 days practical at the end and an exam but, its 80hrs at home

insurers should be happy as the there is a fair bit of practical and an exam, it also states that they follow the same standard as the NVQ

hope this helps

Summer

Latest posts

Back