Ombré/balayage advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0llyd86

Reaction score
Hello, needing a little advice on my clients hair please. Normally I would do a full head highlights with blondor, 12/17 and a global colour of 9/7 of wella. We are wanting to change to the largest craze ombré/balayage, very new to this technique and not sure which method would work best to the look we want to achieve also pre pigging roots before applying dark colour, any thoughts?? I also work with lloreal and maybe thought of pre pigging with 8/3 wash off and apply 7/3(as not wanting to go too dark) would I then need to wash off to then apply other blonde colours??sorry for essay xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391461567.091284.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391461588.561824.jpg

I've done a few of these now, it's like balayage only with the dark instead of bleach. I've been mixing the prepig in with the colour and just doing 1 application, it's much easier with this technique. I've also been back combing the sections still so that there is no harsh lines. Hope that makes sense! I've attached a pic of one I did yesterday, client was lightest blonde all over.

Attachments

• sheenabal.jpg
    sheenabal.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 534
I would backcomb the ends then apply your target shade to the roots and then feather the colour down (over the backcomb part) by tilting your brush. I can't help with the colours as I use goldwell x

Brilliant thank you for your replies, they all make sense and the pics are lovely :)

Cdawson24- your after pics are lovely!! Can I ask what brown u used? Was it a 7? Also what u did to blend it through so nicely? Ombré balayage scares me lol xxx

I used a 6.8 in rusk deep shine, which is the chocolate range. I added 7.3 and 7.43 to pre pig. I did sections from the nape of the neck, back combing where I wanted it to blend and applied the 6.8 to roots and onto back combed section. As I reached the top I did some back combing sections and some feathering the 6.8 right down to the ends (no back combing) to achieve the balayage look. Quite hard to explain but it always comes out lovely :)

Cddawson can you tell me please how much Prepig you added to the 6.8 please? I was taught a different way to Prepig and I did not know you could do that with Rusk even though I use Rusk colours

I know this is an old thread, but it covers my query so thought flag it up again.
When taking a client darker at the root from a full head highlights i have been painting on with pre pigment (affinage quick pig) and then painting over with my chosen colour. But this is hit and miss results sometimes perfect but sometimespatchy and some bits come up more reddy.
Looking for a cleaner result.. so after reading this,
Is it okay to mix pre pigment in with the colour and do it this way? Could I do that with the quick pig or would it better to mix in a warmer tint?

Latest posts

Back