One offs.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petals

Reaction score
I am currently mobile and I find in my area people don't like to part with their money (!) and try and befriend me so they can get discounts. I also have had loads of 'one offs' during summer where by they are going to a wedding/social event and are ALWAYS nailbiters (arrggh!).:mad: i give them solar oil, tell them how lovely their hands look with longer nails and that they should give long nails a go long term. I alway try to book an infill appointment, but they won't be persuaded and tell me they won't need it. (think they are prizing their nails off because they don't want to pay infill/soak off price).
Question - is this because i am mobile that i get this sort of client?
Do you think nail biters are generally a waste of time as they don't look after their natural nails?
How many MOBILE techs out there have this same problem?

I'm feeling a bit peeved that's all! It try really hard to offer a good service (do gel, acrylic & fibreglass) and I am feeling abit despondant at mo.:irked: Would this be different if I rent somewhere?

I am currently mobile and I find in my area people don't like to part with their money (!) and try and befriend me so they can get discounts. I also have had loads of 'one offs' during summer where by they are going to a wedding/social event and are ALWAYS nailbiters (arrggh!).:mad: i give them solar oil, tell them how lovely their hands look with longer nails and that they should give long nails a go long term. I alway try to book an infill appointment, but they won't be persuaded and tell me they won't need it. (think they are prizing their nails off because they don't want to pay infill/soak off price).
Do you think nail biters are generally a waste of time as they don't look after their natural nails?

I'm feeling a bit peeved that's all! It try really hard to offer a good service (do gel, acrylic & fibreglass) and I am feeling abit despondant at mo.:irked: Would this be different if I rent somewhere?

I'm mobile and have my fair share of one-offs, but most of my client base are regulars..... or regular on-offs, if you know what I mean! I have a number of lcients who for various reasons don't wear nails all the time, but when they do come to me.... so I see them 3 or 4 times a year for one-off sets.

I wonder if your brand/image as a mobile is leading people to think you should be cheaper than a salon? I don't mean that in a nasty way, only sometimes your advertising gives people an perception of your business.... (this isn't coming over as I mean, but can't find the right words at the mo!).

Nail biters aren't a waste of time BUT they are hard work to have as clients. Some can be changed out of their biting habit, some can't. I've got 2 nail biters at the moment doing really well, but about 6 months ago had a couple that were breaking them and getting lifting and in the end they gave up. I'm not an expert when it comes to nail biters though.....

Pleae don't give discounts or allow yourself to be befreiended - you're running a business. Take a look at your brand and image from a consumers point of view and see what it ways about you. Use the benefits of being mobile in your advertising - salon service without leaving your home, no finding a baby sitter or paying for parking, flexible service to fit around your commitments etc.

Keep you chin up, don't be despondant. I'm not sure it would be different if you rented somewhere or not, tbh. You'd still get one-off walk-ins, I think loyalty is to the tech rather than the location.... could be wrong there though!! I'm thinking in terms of my hairdresser - I'd follow him to the end of the earth rather than find a new one!!

HTH's

I agree with Vetty....you are getting clients just not the right ones....so you might need to focus your ads to a different type of client. To be honest i find the more mature clients are the most long standing ones...they have the time, the money and after looking after everyone else (kids) for so long want some ME time. Nail biters can be your biggest challenge but can also be your most rewarding....all of my nail biters are now NNO....once you get them to this stage they don't tend to bite them anymore (or at least i have found) cos they are so proud to have there own nails. HTH xx

This is a good thread, I too am mobile and experiencing the same kind of proplems as you. I seriously think that unless you have been established as a mobile tech for a number of years,(pre nail tech boom) you are not percieved as professional.
I have tried so many different advertizing options, spent a small fortune infact - with very little return.
I am now working on a different angle to generate business (please god let it work). If you are serious and want to continue, stay positive. Use your spare time constructively by using it to practice, keep going on as many courses as you can afford. Read up on anything & everything nails, Its all ground work for the future. Never give discount, it's like saying "i'm crap & have to give it away". Tell your nail biters & 1 offs to consider natural manicures & STRESS the importance of professional removal to preserve their natural nails.

my long standing clients are mostly over 35 they have been with me for 2 years scince i moved and started advertising, my one offs are stay at home mums and ladies in their 20's who want one off sets for nights out, weddings and christenings etc.
younger clients flyers are funky and to the point "full set of nails £30"
where as to aim at older client base more sophisticated soft looking flyer with explained treatments.
make sure your ads are up to par, your pricelists, business cards,(not cheap looking) also i find that my ladies like the fact i wear i wear a uniform black salonwear.
have a badge made with your name and number and go out wearing your uniform, your nails nice, even if you are going to the supermarket, people will look maybe approach and allways have business cards handy, aim to leave business cards at gyms hairdressers (this has got me alot of long standing clients).
you have to think like the client you want to attract

my long standing clients are mostly over 35 they have been with me for 2 years scince i moved and started advertising, my one offs are stay at home mums and ladies in their 20's who want one off sets for nights out, weddings and christenings etc.
younger clients flyers are funky and to the point "full set of nails £30"
where as to aim at older client base more sophisticated soft looking flyer with explained treatments.
make sure your ads are up to par, your pricelists, business cards,(not cheap looking) also i find that my ladies like the fact i wear i wear a uniform black salonwear.
have a badge made with your name and number and go out wearing your uniform, your nails nice, even if you are going to the supermarket, people will look maybe approach and allways have business cards handy, aim to leave business cards at gyms hairdressers (this has got me alot of long standing clients).
you have to think like the client you want to attract

Thats a really good advice Joanne, thanks for that. Its something I needed to know myself in order to target a lucrative market. Its obvious when you think about it but sometimes someone putting it down in writing makes it clearer. Thanks :lol:

I too am mobile and havn't been doing it long, just a couple of months. progress is very slow but steady. I too have mainly had one-off clients but i have not offered any discounts. I think persistance pays off, even though sometimes the wait can be discouraging. My sister qualified at the same time as me and she has also found the same. I only have 2 regular clock-work clients at the moment but I know that this is because I am new and a good client base takes time. I reduced my hours in a full-time job after completing my nail course as I couldn't afford to leave, so i work in an office part-time I am going to stay there until I build up a decent client base. And about the one-off clients i have had, I know that they were happy with them and will come back next time they are out for a special occassion. I just remember the saying... slow and steady wins the race!
I am sure the hard work will pay off.

I am mobile myself and did find in the beginning i always had nail biters, the one offs and people who wanted something for nothing. I think its because mst people associate mobile with being cheap.

I made sure form the start that my prices were competitive but good, not CHEAP! i have always worn a uniform and tried to be as professional as possible in my approach. I have decent business cards and price lists, have a well established website now and also have my car sign written. This has took me 2 years to get to this level of feeling like it is happening at last.

I get loads of one offs but also have aregular client base as well, but it has taken me 18 months to get this built up. You must remember that most businesses will take at least 2 years to get going and maintain a good steady flow of business, so please don't get disheartened and keep with it.

Act confident, be professional and don't give away anything for nothing. Smile, treat all clients well, even when they are ones you would rather not do. You will get there but it takes a long time.:)

I made sure form the start that my prices were competitive but good, not CHEAP! i have always worn a uniform and tried to be as professional as possible in my approach. I have decent business cards and price lists, have a well established website now and also have my car sign written. This has took me 2 years to get to this level of feeling like it is happening at last.

I get loads of one offs but also have aregular client base as well, but it has taken me 18 months to get this built up. You must remember that most businesses will take at least 2 years to get going and maintain a good steady flow of business, so please don't get disheartened and keep with it.

This is virtually the same as my own situation! I have beeen mobile for just over 2 years and only now am I really getting established. Admitedly I only work part-time hours and I had a few months off last year when I had my 2nd baby. But, I think I'm starting to be well known in my area and getting quite a lot of work from word of mouth recommendations.

I have found newspaper ads a waste of money (not everyone will have the same experiences though) and have now also have my car signwritten (keylinegraphix.co.uk were excellent with this). If you truly love what you do and are good at it, the work will come, just don't give up trying!

xx:hug:

I too wear a uniform & am just in the process of having my own logo put on some new ones.... OUCH! Better be worth it.

:) Thanks everyone! You've all made my feel less down about it all. You are absolutely right about the timescale as I have only really been pushing the business for a year. I do have regular clients and they are fab. I also wear black uniform with my Creative tabard, have a great logo and am getting my mini covered in advertising!!
It's not that I don't like nail biters it's just the majority of the one offs have children hanging off them when i am doing their nails and really couldn't care less to what i am doing. I ask them how their nails are before i go out, but when i get there they are always worse. Do alot of gel nails, got one client into NNO and her nails look fantastic. It's just where i am people take their time to accept you before they are willing to recommend. (it's a tough market!):eek:
I really enjoy doing nail art parties and that seems something that goes down very well here. Ladies Pamper Parties too. So really I shouldn't moan, i know it takes time it's just I put an as in local paper this week (and it was HUGE!) and it cost me £120!!:eek: Had one phone call. I'll keep plugging girls-thanks again for advice!:hug:

I get several one-offs during the summer (graduations & weddings), and usually a couple around christmas. I've learned to identify 'some' of them. Those I usually stear towards the gel-resin's. I explain the difference between UV Gel & Gel-Resins and how they perform, and how they are removed etc. If they pick uv gel, they are usually back. If they pick gel-resin's, I dont usually see them again until the next 'special occasion'. Sometime's I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right. I guess I just prefer that if they are one of those that won't be back, they can remove their nails with acetone and I have less worry of them damaging their nails if they tried to pick off the gel. Know what I mean? No guarantee.. I try to educate them while they're in front of me. It's the best I can do.

There are all kinds of one-off's in this line of business, just as with hairdressers too. Some people do their hair on their own till they botch it up and need someone to fix it. Or maybe they only do it once a year.. who knows. Or they have no salon-loyalty and bounce everywhere.

You can't take it to heart.

Also, as some say: don't put prices too low, or that's mostly what you'll get. Mine are low but not cheap. I'm still more than the NSS in my area, and I have a lovely variety of clients, 20yrs to 75yrs:green: My greatest tipper (overtips sometimes, in my opinion) and most loyal client is 20yrs old, making minimum wage and she's in every 2wks like clockwork, always getting art. Go figure.
She brought me a coffee mug back from her vacation that reads "I'm a nail technician, not a miracle worker" :lol: She's sooo sweet, I often give her 'treats' and lil extra somethings. She's one of the ones I was happily wrong about. I thought she'd be a one-off. BIG SURPRISE.

Continue to do your best, and you'll attract a clientel that you want.
Hang in there.:green:

I get several one-offs during the summer (graduations & weddings), and usually a couple around christmas. I've learned to identify 'some' of them. Those I usually stear towards the gel-resin's. I explain the difference between UV Gel & Gel-Resins and how they perform, and how they are removed etc. If they pick uv gel, they are usually back. If they pick gel-resin's, I dont usually see them again until the next 'special occasion'. Sometime's I'm wrong, sometimes I'm right. I guess I just prefer that if they are one of those that won't be back, they can remove their nails with acetone and I have less worry of them damaging their nails if they tried to pick off the gel. Know what I mean? No guarantee.. I try to educate them while they're in front of me. It's the best I can do.

There are all kinds of one-off's in this line of business, just as with hairdressers too. Some people do their hair on their own till they botch it up and need someone to fix it. Or maybe they only do it once a year.. who knows. Or they have no salon-loyalty and bounce everywhere.

You can't take it to heart.

Also, as some say: don't put prices too low, or that's mostly what you'll get. Mine are low but not cheap. I'm still more than the NSS in my area, and I have a lovely variety of clients, 20yrs to 75yrs:green: My greatest tipper (overtips sometimes, in my opinion) and most loyal client is 20yrs old, making minimum wage and she's in every 2wks like clockwork, always getting art. Go figure.
She brought me a coffee mug back from her vacation that reads "I'm a nail technician, not a miracle worker" :lol: She's sooo sweet, I often give her 'treats' and lil extra somethings. She's one of the ones I was happily wrong about. I thought she'd be a one-off. BIG SURPRISE.

Continue to do your best, and you'll attract a clientel that you want.
Hang in there.:green:
Thankyou! I am not going to give up I am determined to make this work! Price my nails at £35 per set for gel and £40 for acrylic sculpts, so I'm not cheap!:) :wink2: I guess it's the time of year, people are starting to save for Christmas. Roll on December!!

Latest posts

Back