Onycholyosis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow

Reaction score
I shellacked a client a few weeks back and when the shellac was removed two of her nails were lifting away from the nail bed so there was a large area of white at the free edge. I looked up the condition and it said it was the start of an allergic reaction and to take off any nail varnish etc and to see a gp if it gets worse. Have never come across this before and i suppose the question is . "Will she have to stay away from polish and shellac" Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not heard of this happening from Shellac. I'm sure a more experienced geek will be along shortly to give you a more definitive answer.

OK my guess would be that she has this nail condition because her natural nails may be too long for her lifestyle.

Because Shellac is strong, it would allow her natural nails to grow without breaking, but if she is not used to the length, the nails can be banged and this will cause trauma and in this case Onycholysis.

It is not necessary to remove the Shellac, but I would advise your client to keep her nails short and it would be no harm to put a little tea tree oil under the free edge, as this can keep the nail clean and free from infection.

I would also suggest, she return to the Salon every two weeks to have her nails maintained and that way you can watch out for any infection... she is now more open to getting a bacterial infection.

I am sure that this can happen if there is trauma to the nail as well. Did you ask her if she has knocked her nails at all?

She had removed the shellac herself and was just popping in to make a christmas appt. I didnt have time to question her about banging her nails. She keeps her nails short but always has something on them ie nail polish or shellac. Just two nails, the rest were fine. Just wondered what could have caused the nails to separate from the nail bed. Thanks for your replies girls and i will see her in december so see if they have rectified themselves

She had removed the shellac herself and was just popping in to make a christmas appt. I didnt have time to question her about banging her nails. She keeps her nails short but always has something on them ie nail polish or shellac. Just two nails, the rest were fine. Just wondered what could have caused the nails to separate from the nail bed. Thanks for your replies girls and i will see her in december so see if they have rectified themselves

Wearing Shellac or Polish would not have caused it.

It's more likely down to the fact she removed the Shellac herself and didn't know what she was doing... she may have inadvertently damaged her nails herself by being rough.

I would always recommend the client return to the Salon for this reason (you should incorporate the price into the service), although, I still think it's more than likely due to the fact her nails were very long and she was simply not used to them.

I would advise her to use Solar Oil at least twice a day and massage in well... this should help the nail re attach.

HTHs

Her nails have never been long...always short. Will keep an eye on them.Thanks:lol:

Her nails have never been long...always short. Will keep an eye on them.Thanks:lol:

If her nails have always been short and she had her Shellac on for two to three weeks (which I'm assuming she had)... then she would have had three week's growth that she wouldn't have been used to, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, I'd give her a quick call and just advise her about the importance of using her Solar Oil. ;)

Anything could have caused it (incl Shellac and polish) as it can be a sign of an allergic reaction. Far more likely are other possibilities though. Are her nails very thin? When she removed the Shellac how did she do it? Is it only on 2 nails and no sign on any others?

There could be many reasons. You need to ask more questions and see if it is getting worse or getting better.

Anything could have caused it (incl Shellac and polish) as it can be a sign of an allergic reaction. Far more likely are other possibilities though. Are her nails very thin? When she removed the Shellac how did she do it? Is it only on 2 nails and no sign on any others?

There could be many reasons. You need to ask more questions and see if it is getting worse or getting better.

Whoops I never even thought of that... Mum, Can I ask, If it was an allergic reaction, would it not be on all the nails, or is it possible to be on just two?

I'm just curious about that.

If it was allergic reaction it would be on all nails. I agree with above posters... It's trauma of some kind. I had a lady break the seal of her nail by simply cleaning with a pointed metal file. This is y I always suggest clients keep a nail brush in their bathrooms for nail cleaning.

Best remedy is to file/clip the nail as far down as you can. And keep doing this each visit until it completely reattaches. It's going to seem like it takes forever, but this will keep her from making it worse.

Whoops I never even thought of that... Mum, Can I ask, If it was an allergic reaction, would it not be on all the nails, or is it possible to be on just two?

I'm just curious about that.

Yes, the chances are it would be on all nails but it is possible to start on just a couple (nails are often in different conditions). that's why the progress is important.

I do agree that it is probably something else but just wanted to make the point that any product is an allergen to someone

Yes, the chances are it would be on all nails but it is possible to start on just a couple (nails are often in different conditions). that's why the progress is important.

I do agree that it is probably something else but just wanted to make the point that any product is an allergen to someone

Thank you... I did think of that after I posted.

Thank you so much for clearing that up :hug:

Latest posts

Back