Opening 7 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkish_delight

Reaction score
Hi geeks, just after some advice on whether to open 7 days from salons that already do or that have tried. I am currently open tues- sat only 2 beauty rooms and me (full time) and another therapist (full time). We are both very busy most of the time. My salon is quite small and theres not really any space for a third room and cannot afford to close for building works etc so i thought of opening sundays and mondays and possibly having 2 extra late nights as i already do 2. I know it will differ from area to area but are any of you open on sundays and mondays and does it work for you? I find that mondays are the day that many salons close as an industry trait. Any advice appreciated. [emoji4]

We open Monday's and they tend to be very busy. We have gained clients from being one if the only salons In our area open on a Monday. We have trialled opening on a Sunday, we had a ridiculous number of no shows, on phoning clients to let them know they'd missed their appointment, we mainly got excuses like-my family came down unexpectedly. Sorry we decided to go out for the day, etc!(not usual excuses for missing appointments) Clients just weren't committed to their appointments like they are on other days. Could well be different in your area though :)

We open Monday's and they tend to be very busy. We have gained clients from being one if the only salons In our area open on a Monday. We have trialled opening on a Sunday, we had a ridiculous number of no shows, on phoning clients to let them know they'd missed their appointment, we mainly got excuses like-my family came down unexpectedly. Sorry we decided to go out for the day, etc!(not usual excuses for missing appointments) Clients just weren't committed to their appointments like they are on other days. Could well be different in your area though :)
Although we haven't done Sundays, we are open Mondays. One does Monday, one does Tuesday and there are 2 of us in on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We do late nights Wed Thurs and Fri till 8. Our Mondays are nearly always fully booked so definitely worth it for us.

Vic x

I've always opened on a Monday, since selling my salon and staying on as a rental, the new owner continues Monday opening, it's one of my busiest days. Also the 2 new therapists are getting busy on Mondays too, where my old therapist didn't work a Monday.

Opening on days where others are.closed is a wise move.

I would def open on Monday. My salon is open and I find it busier than Wednesday's which are generally the quietest day for us! Lots of salons around here close on Mondays which benefits me and I also find I get bookings for the rest of the week which I may lose if I wasn't open to take the calls. Sunday's I close but have opened for a few hours in the morning for special requests if clients ask and it's worthwhile. Previously we have gone in to do a wedding party and a group of girls doing their confirmation who wanted their hair styled. I might consider it when I know all the week days are at a stage where we are turning people away but not quite there yet!

Will you be working all 7 days? You can't run yourself into the ground and you need a day for Woking on the business rather that just in it x

I'm open on a Monday and it's one of my busiest days. I also do some Sundays but only if I've had to take another day off in the week. Have to say that Sunday isn't that popular with clients.

Personally I wouldnt run the salon 7 days unless I had good cover I could trust to come in on a Sunday. Plus most clients wold not expect you to be open Sundays, and i doubt many would even want to go after a Sat night out.

6 Days with a few late nights is a lot of work as it is, you and your staff do need some time off to spend all that money your earning on nice treats ;)

Thanks so much geeks. Im going to give it a go, nothing to lose i guess xx

I must add i myself wouldnt be working 7 days permanently and neither would i allow my staff too. I would probably need to for the first few weeks to settle things in but apart from that hopefully everyone will be sticking to the normal 5 days week but different days each so its all covered x

Where I used to work we opened Monday's and it was always fully booked as it is "normal" for salons to close on a Monday with Sunday's we only ever did these in the run up to Christmas and I would suggest do it then but throughout the year would it be cost effective opening on Sunday's if you only get say one booking? But like you've said you've. Got nothing to loose maybe before you do try the Sunday's why don't you ask clients get a vibe of them wether they would be interested? Put questions on your Facebook page/website see if you get any interest first before you take the plunge but I would definitely say open Monday's!

We put on our website 'open Sundays by arrangement' so if someone wants her and a mate for a load of treatments on a Sunday, we'd open but it's not the norm x

We open 7 days a week with 5 late nights on the week nights. We have lots of staff to cover and Sundays and Mondays are always busy. We are the only salon to open in our area on a Sunday so that helps too. It did take time to get word out that we were open Sundays and after starting 6 years ago with 2 therapists on a Sunday, we now have up to 8, working 10-4 and we do really well. You could consider taking deposits for Sunday bookings if you are worried about no shows. I would only recommend you do open 7 days a week if you have the same standard of cover on Sundays and Mondays that you do the rest of the week, otherwise your reputation can be affected. Our staff work on a rota so most of our full time therapists who have worked with us a long time do some Sundays .
You will probably find that some staff prefer to work Sundays if they have children as they generally have childcare cover and so they dont need to think about paying for that.

I would maybe try opening on a Monday and an extra late night in the week. This gives you chance to increase your hours gradually. You could then choose to open sundays as well if you are still really busy on all days? Just a thought as no point opening if you aren't busy enough on all days.

Thank you so much geeks. Your advice is much appreciated. [emoji4]

I open Monday and Sundays by appointment but I've kinda don't do Sundays anymore as I lot of people just not bothering to turn up and I work Monday to Saturday so it's nice to have a Sunday off. I also do late nights Tuesday to Friday and Saturday til 3 but work til as late as 8 some Saturdays. I advertise as open til 5.30 but will stay open til 8.30 by appointment only saves people just turning up and we can go home once we have done rather than keep staying open

Hi Geeks we don't open Sunday but we do open Mondays. To be honest 7 days a week will take it's toll on you but if you have a good manager that can manage your salon you should be fine. I'd advise trying to open on Mondays first and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back