Opening a Hair Salon ::Help::

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting my NVQ 2 in Hairdressing September, I then hope to go on to complete my NVQ 3 Hairdressing in September 2011.

I've recently been thinking about what direction I want to go in after I have qualified =] Owning my own salon is a big desire of mine, however I am unsure of what level I would need to be qualified at in order to do this, I've also already thought of the fact that gaining a few years experience within a salon before owning my own salon will be necessary.

Can anybody answer this query for me please?

Thanks xo

Hi

I think its great to have a plan, but the phrase 'running before you can walk' springs to mind! Sorry. In my opinion the more experiance the better, however to answer your question anyone can open a salon, qualified or not! How well that business does is another question! I do hope you enjoy doing your NVQ :)

Thanks for your response, I agree with you completely that more experience is better, once I've completed my level 2 I'm going to find a job in a salon and also do mobile hairdressing on the side to get as much experience as I can and then I was thinking of saving enough money to set up my own salon in the future, its not something I would think of doing straight after being qualified as in my eyes thats shouts out ::disaster waiting to happen:: :lol: I just needed to know that having an NVQ 3 in hairdressing would be enough to open my own salon and then atleast I can focus on getting all the experience I can and saving! Thanks again xo

I would definately say that Level 3 is a must, you need to be able to deal with anything that comes your way, as you would quite possibly be working on your own! Best of luck with the NVQ, I hope you enjoy it :hug:

I would definately say that Level 3 is a must, you need to be able to deal with anything that comes your way, as you would quite possibly be working on your own! Best of luck with the NVQ, I hope you enjoy it :hug:

Thanks for your reply, and for the luck! I'm so excited :lol:

xo

Hey,
At the risk of sounding a little harsh, I'd just like to share my little story and hope it gives you a broader outlook.
I personally believe its best if you have atleast 5 years in the industry before attempting opening your own salon, work in different salons - every salon is completely different and ran completely different to the next, go mobile, maybe rent a chair, salon manager... try all the different options you could do to build you and your experience.

I have had my salon for just over a year now and truly, it has been the hardest thing I've ever done. In hindsight (its a wonderful thing!), I was probably too young (21 when opening), luckilly I've experienced a lot in my 5 years I've been in the industry, I trained doing hairdressing apprenticeship nvq 2 in a salon, I did beauty & massage at night college whilst I did my apprenticeship, I then launched a new beauty department in the hairdressers I worked in, I was self-employed for 2 years, did my level 3 hairdressing, then I got my shop.

I would 100% say, nothing can teach you any where near as much as experiencing things for yourself and making mistakes along the way is a very good thing - you won't make them again! Good luck in your training, but please take my advice & don't dive in head first & think you'll just learn along the way like i have done - its haaaaaaarrrrd work! Salon environment is just too tough, too busy, too stressful and too constantly demanding for not knowing what you're doing.. thats before you even get started on staff issues and all responsibilites that comes with staff! I have 5 - there's always something! But I do love them all too :) & they work hard, so its only right I'm dedicated to them.
I don't want to put you off at all, I don't hun. Just hope you take my advice and really learn as much as you can, push yourself as much as you can, do all the research you can possibly do, get as much advice as you can, DON'T TRUST ANYONE 100% and prepare yourself the best you can.
GOOD LUCK HUNI, HOPE THATS HELPED A LITTLE ANYWAY
Laura X

Thanks for the great advice it was just what I was looking for, and I will definately be taking it :) I always try to push myself to get the best results I possibly can and I really want to be a successful hairdresser so fingers crossed I do well in it :) Thanks again xox

Latest posts

Back