Opening a salon, how much does it cost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodiex

Reaction score
basically, me and my hairdressing are going to set up our own salon, but i have no idea how much it costs?
currently in our area (not sure whether its all) business rates are exempt, and are looking at spaces around £8000 pa, so £154 per week ish.

but for back washes, styling units, etc how much is a salon?
her boyfriend is a plumber, so plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

any advice for opening a salon would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
Jodie xxx

basically, me and my hairdressing are going to set up our own salon, but i have no idea how much it costs?
currently in our area (not sure whether its all) business rates are exempt, and are looking at spaces around £8000 pa, so £154 per week ish.

but for back washes, styling units, etc how much is a salon?
her boyfriend is a plumber, so plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

any advice for opening a salon would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
Jodie xxx

Jodie, You really have to do some serious research into this before you even entertain a salon. If you have no idea about what is required legally in terms of insurance, health and safety, licences, and financially in terms of cost of sales, management accounts, product costs, leases, etc the chances of you failing within the first year are extremely high. There is too much simplicity on this comment for me to answer constructively from a business perspective.

Jodie, You really have to do some serious research into this before you even entertain a salon. If you have no idea about what is required legally in terms of insurance, health and safety, licences, and financially in terms of cost of sales, management accounts, product costs, leases, etc the chances of you failing within the first year are extremely high. There is too much simplicity on this comment for me to answer constructively from a business perspective.

I don't mean to be funny, but I'm not stupid. But before I can 'entertain' going through everything I need to know if my friend and I can financially afford it.
I don't think it's just rent a place, pop some things in and voila..

I've graduated with a law degree, my mums partner is a financial advisor and my mum works for the local council- that covers a few things there to help get insights into various areas which are needed, I would just like to know; how much generally a salon would take to start up.

Thanks for your advice.

I don't mean to be funny, but I'm not stupid. But before I can 'entertain' going through everything I need to know if my friend and I can financially afford it.
I don't think it's just rent a place, pop some things in and voila..

I've graduated with a law degree, my mums partner is a financial advisor and my mum works for the local council- that covers a few things there to help get insights into various areas which are needed, I would just like to know; how much generally a salon would take to start up.

Thanks for your advice.

How long is piece of string! Do your research you can calculate how much it will cost you. I can tell you I spent 70k on my salon...Does that help you? Probably not as someone behind me will tell you they spent £10k. Apologies if you think I am being rude here, but I just don't understand the logic in your question. I hope someone can advise you further.

I would look up the best deals on each item and call up for quotes and haggle - my boss was just about to buy 6 new styling chairs at £150 each exc vat and a backwash at god knows how much .. I love a good research and I found a website of a company in london and my boss got the same chairs for £119 each vat free ! She's called them etc and they've provided invoices so it's all very professional and not some idiot fraud behind a computer taking people's money!

She's managed to get 6 new chairs, 6 new footrests, a backwash and a booster seat and delivery from london to Paisley, Scotland for roughly £1300 I'm sure ... And nearly spent that alone on chairs and footrests !!

You need to decide what you can afford first I think then plan ..

Baring in mind that's only chairs etc.. She already has everything else in place ie. mirrors, units, reception desk, waiting area, lights etc ..

I would also look at going to an auction or charity shop for a decent desk that you could get transformed into a lovely unique reception desk .. There's a thread on here that a lot of geeks had been doing up old furniture and they looked fab!!

I imagine it's ALOT to get into and you will be at a loss for at least a year probably.. But the more people you know the better as they can help out ..

Good luck though xxxx

Anywhere between £5k - £100k.
But it's not just the start up costs you ideally want 6 months-12months running costs sitting in the bank while you build up.

What kind of salon do you want to run? This is a huge dictator in how much you will spend - do you want to be Value, Everyday, Finest or Tiffany?

How big will the salon be - how many chairs / rooms? Will it have a waiting area, reception area, staff room, storage rooms?

Start a spreadsheet and go through everything you think you will need to fit out the salon - all the fixtures, fittings, products, consumables, tea coffee, cleaning products, furniture, painting and decorating. Then add about 50% to that.

You could then be looking at upto 10 - 20k in legal and professional services.

Just because person a spent £25k on their salon, person b £10k and person c £100k doesn't really help unfortunately. There are too many things we don't know.

Don't forget your costs will start before you even think about fitting out the inside, if you're going to lease an empty building, you are looking around 3 months plus rent up front, solicitors fees, and depending on the landlord, you may have to pay his or her solicitors fees too, if your taking over an existing lease, you will have to purchase the remaining lease term from the existing tenant, land registry fee (that's only about £40 tho) so that's. Few £1,000 already - cost me around 11k before I even walked through the door

The inside is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be!

So I'm afraid I'm with Virtues on this by saying how long is a piece string, unless you have a premises already in mind the set up cost are to far and wide to put £££'a on

But good luck I hope you get there :) x

I know I won't know an exact figure, but what ranges people spent on theirs. Thank you :)

I agree with all that has been said. We have done it on a shoestring, but nearly a year later and we aren't finished. There are still things we are 'making do' with. It all depends on whether you want to go the whole hog, or muddle through like us. We had lots of things like couch, wax equipment, facial range etc, so just getting the premises ready was around £3000, thats with the brother who does everything, and me who slapped the paint on!

If you think from a business point of view about your question, it is very generic, but here goes.

We don't pay business rates as we are too small. Everything, including water, is run on electric, and highest bill in winter is about £125.00pm.
Rent is obviously whatever!
Our overheads are pretty low, and our business has grown considerably in the past year, but only now am I taking a proper salary, so again have just muddled through as I was a sole trader, but now am Ltd so having to do it all properly!
We use an electronic booking system that I would die without, so pay to have it totally backed up etc. We use it for texts, bookings, emails and so on, so another expense to consider.
I also track everything on a spreadsheet - have only recently started fdoing this as I'm a bit of a heathen! This shows me what has been a busy week and out expenditure that week etc! Common sense, but not for me!!!

Try not to be fooled into thinking you have to buy new for everything. There is lots of reconditioned equipment available and some places closing down will do good deals.

Finally, definitely have lots put by for the next 6-12 months, and the very best of luck!

Vicki x

I agree with all that has been said. We have done it on a shoestring, but nearly a year later and we aren't finished. There are still things we are 'making do' with. It all depends on whether you want to go the whole hog, or muddle through like us. We had lots of things like couch, wax equipment, facial range etc, so just getting the premises ready was around £3000, thats with the brother who does everything, and me who slapped the paint on!

If you think from a business point of view about your question, it is very generic, but here goes.

We don't pay business rates as we are too small. Everything, including water, is run on electric, and highest bill in winter is about £125.00pm.
Rent is obviously whatever!
Our overheads are pretty low, and our business has grown considerably in the past year, but only now am I taking a proper salary, so again have just muddled through as I was a sole trader, but now am Ltd so having to do it all properly!
We use an electronic booking system that I would die without, so pay to have it totally backed up etc. We use it for texts, bookings, emails and so on, so another expense to consider.
I also track everything on a spreadsheet - have only recently started fdoing this as I'm a bit of a heathen! This shows me what has been a busy week and out expenditure that week etc! Common sense, but not for me!!!

Try not to be fooled into thinking you have to buy new for everything. There is lots of reconditioned equipment available and some places closing down will do good deals.

Finally, definitely have lots put by for the next 6-12 months, and the very best of luck!

Vicki x

Yeah I understand it's a bit vague! Haha, thank you :)
Appreciate what everyone's said, and I do understand there is a enormous amount of effort to put in with very little reward in the first year or couple of years. But I am prepared (and used to working all hours of the day and night!) and it will be a success! Because I'll bloody make sure it is :)

We've not just come up with this idea overnight and we do have a few years in the industry. Being 21 obviously limited and not as many as others, but enough I feel to know all about my treatments.

Just watch this space! I'm excited and determined for the future!! 😃 xx

This is a tangent, but you've got a law degree, and you're opening a salon?....why?....

We've owned salons for nearly 20 years in our family, and there's not a huge amount of money to be made. Especially now. It can be fun, it can be exciting- but it can also be a monumental pain in the backside, for little return (especially in the first few years.)

That sounds rather negative (sorry!), don't get me wrong we wouldn't have it any other way, and I realise we all have our "passions", and if you get it right and work hard you can certainly make a living. But, I'm just curious, there's nothing inherently more valuable about working in law and owning a salon...but I'd imagine one was easier to make money in?...or am I wrong?

The original question is a little vague :) I guess it's like asking "how much was your car" or "how much did you spend on decorating your house"....well, it really all depends!

Last edited:
This is a tangent, but you've got a law degree, and you're opening a salon?....why?....

We've owned salons for nearly 20 years in our family, and there's not a huge amount of money to be made. Especially now. It can be fun, it can be exciting- but it can also be a monumental pain in the backside, for little return (especially in the first few years.)

That sounds rather negative (sorry!), don't get me wrong we wouldn't have it any other way, and I realise we all have our "passions", and if you get it right and work hard you can certainly make a living. But, I'm just curious, there's nothing inherently more valuable about working in law and owning a salon...but I'd imagine one was easier to make money in?...or am I wrong?

The original question is a little vague :) I guess it's like asking "how much was your car" or "how much did you spend on decorating your house"....well, it really all depends!

Basically, I have the degree but I hated my time doing it. Recently my dad retired from the police after working incredibly hard for 32 years.. Retired at the age of 48 in August, and in September he found out he had a terminal cancer and only a few weeks, maybe months to live.
My mum hates her job and always has done, and only last month her friend from her set of desks suddenly went off ill with a brain tumor- also terminal.
I love doing eyelashes. Before this all happened I was driven by money, but now I'd prefer to spend my life on minimal pay doing what I love because at least I would be happy!
Opening this salon will make my dad proud, and that's all I've ever really wanted! Even if he doesn't see it open, it won't matter.xx

And making my dad proud isn't my only reason for wanting to open it by the way! That would be a little silly x

Basically, I have the degree but I hated my time doing it. Recently my dad retired from the police after working incredibly hard for 32 years.. Retired at the age of 48 in August, and in September he found out he had a terminal cancer and only a few weeks, maybe months to live.
My mum hates her job and always has done, and only last month her friend from her set of desks suddenly went off ill with a brain tumor- also terminal.
I love doing eyelashes. Before this all happened I was driven by money, but now I'd prefer to spend my life on minimal pay doing what I love because at least I would be happy!
Opening this salon will make my dad proud, and that's all I've ever really wanted! Even if he doesn't see it open, it won't matter.xx

"Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life".......apparently :)

Good for you!
There are a lot of people who are unhappy with their jobs. I have never moaned about going to work, and rarely moan about being skint!!!

So many factors to be considered. I have opened 3 salons in last 10 years and it can be an expensive process.i would advise to try get a unit in reasonable condition.
The more contemporary your presentation, the more cost will encounter.
some costs
Polished porcelain tiles, expensive
Tiler
Plumber
Water system + pump.
Lights, preferably leds as you save money.
Electrician.
Ceiling tiles
Air con especially if your ceiling is low.
Units + chairs/hydraulic
Wash points
Signage
Website
Colour prep area
Stock
Insurance
Tel
Rates
Holiday pay
Retail stock
Towels
Retail display (get from colour company)
Cash register
Seating (waiting area)
Vat
Customer toilet
Washing machine or out source
Advertising.
I opened 1 last august and it cost a fortune

Its very difficult to bring in this type of project in on budget
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Another option to consider is buying an established business...?

Pros and cons for both options but it is definitely something I'd recommend considering.

I opened my beauty salon on a shoe string but when I say shoe string I'm talking 25k and a lot of favours!! That hasn't covered everything, I still need to decorate and renovate my toilet / kitchen area, everyone that asks for the loo I cringe, apologise and then say " don't look, the toilet's new!"

You have to take into consideration how big an area you have, what building work if any needs doing, what flooring - flooring is expensive! Will your landlord want a deposit, do you have gas or just electric, reception area and desk, till, card machine, waiting area, products - most start up packages with whoever you go with are normally in the thousands! AND it goes on, whatever you budget, double it, there will be all kinds of things you've not thought of that will come up!

I hope I've not sounded negative but you have to be realistic, know all your facts and figures, then go for it! Xx

Latest posts

Back