Opening a salon, how much does it cost?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good point - if you are starting from scratch, you'll need skincare etc. DO NOT skimp on this - a skincare range you love will increase your takings considerably with retail - if you don't love it, don't do it!!!

yup yup defiantly double as you always go over my beauty salon cos me i think £30k and landlords can be a nightmare {trust me i know i had the worst!!!} if its a cold building and it a shell you'll need proper heating something that wont run away with the leccy i know you all thinking hairdresser hair dryers will be on think about when it snows or first think. then its buying and also using

paint/wallpaper
electricity bills
chairs
mirrors
styling equipment such as hairdryers, curling tongs, straightners pat testing money for all electrical equipment to be regular tested yearly
comb/brushes
scissors/ razors/
developer
gowns/ capes
back wash
towels
hair dye
hair products to use an to retail
kitchenwear kettle,washing and dryer machine, fridge
reception desk
telephone
stereo {prs, ppl licence}
price list business cards
stationary appointment book or electrical booking system
cleaning products
toilet area
waiting area
staff wages
holiday cover money
maternity cover money as anything can happen in first 12 to 18 months
business banking
chip and pin machine
deposit for rent
sign
labour for any electrical work
solicitors fees
advertising cost for opening + food/drink to welcome people in on opening night
don't think ive left anything out so put all theses in a database then do a 12- 18 month business plan forecast incase you want to go the bank for a loan
good look it can be scary but i learnt a hell of a lot and remember always barter with advertising and suppliers just cos your 21 they will think put the wool over her eyes i opened mine at 20 an got the oh you don't have a clue lets try to rip you off you have to think one step ahead all the time x

I have taken over the lease of a run down salon with a bad reputation last september & things are looking up.
I now have a great clients & use wonderful products/colours.

We have put a new Customer/Staff Toilet in & a new staff room with fitted kitchen cost us about 5k so far.
Painted the outside as it was drab 1k
Next mont we are closing for a week to do the salon just ordered 2 Rem Dune Back washes 2.5k
6 Rem Peru Styling Seats 2.3k
Led Lighting 1k
Washer Heater 1k
Flooring???????
6 Styling units 1.5k
I am getting my joiner to do my colour unit & Reception desk Price unknown??
Thers alot more but you get the idea

It can be a mine field but di it as you want not what people tell you, Its your salon :D

GOOD LUCK

yup yup defiantly double as you always go over my beauty salon cos me i think £30k and landlords can be a nightmare {trust me i know i had the worst!!!} if its a cold building and it a shell you'll need proper heating something that wont run away with the leccy i know you all thinking hairdresser hair dryers will be on think about when it snows or first think. then its buying and also using

paint/wallpaper
electricity bills
chairs
mirrors
styling equipment such as hairdryers, curling tongs, straightners pat testing money for all electrical equipment to be regular tested yearly
comb/brushes
scissors/ razors/
developer
gowns/ capes
back wash
towels
hair dye
hair products to use an to retail
kitchenwear kettle,washing and dryer machine, fridge
reception desk
telephone
stereo {prs, ppl licence}
price list business cards
stationary appointment book or electrical booking system
cleaning products
toilet area
waiting area
staff wages
holiday cover money
maternity cover money as anything can happen in first 12 to 18 months
business banking
chip and pin machine
deposit for rent
sign
labour for any electrical work
solicitors fees
advertising cost for opening + food/drink to welcome people in on opening night
don't think ive left anything out so put all theses in a database then do a 12- 18 month business plan forecast incase you want to go the bank for a loan
good look it can be scary but i learnt a hell of a lot and remember always barter with advertising and suppliers just cos your 21 they will think put the wool over her eyes i opened mine at 20 an got the oh you don't have a clue lets try to rip you off you have to think one step ahead all the time x

thank you :)
yeah well tbh i would be best taking my dad for things -hes great at bartering and knows what he's on about anyways. plus he has an incredibly lot amount of spare time at the minute! apart from the constant chain of visitors! haha.

basically, me and my hairdressing are going to set up our own salon, but i have no idea how much it costs?
currently in our area (not sure whether its all) business rates are exempt, and are looking at spaces around £8000 pa, so £154 per week ish.

but for back washes, styling units, etc how much is a salon?
her boyfriend is a plumber, so plumbing shouldn't be a problem.

any advice for opening a salon would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
Jodie xxx

Drawing up a business plan would be the first stage, with a breakdown or what you need & researching the cost of these. That might be a start. Everyone has different budgets to work too, so there's not much point asking for a figure on here of what you might spend

Basically, I have the degree but I hated my time doing it. Recently my dad retired from the police after working incredibly hard for 32 years.. Retired at the age of 48 in August, and in September he found out he had a terminal cancer and only a few weeks, maybe months to live.
My mum hates her job and always has done, and only last month her friend from her set of desks suddenly went off ill with a brain tumor- also terminal.
I love doing eyelashes. Before this all happened I was driven by money, but now I'd prefer to spend my life on minimal pay doing what I love because at least I would be happy!
Opening this salon will make my dad proud, and that's all I've ever really wanted! Even if he doesn't see it open, it won't matter.xx

There is no better reason! Your passion will assist in your succession! xxx

I don't mean to be funny, but I'm not stupid. But before I can 'entertain' going through everything I need to know if my friend and I can financially afford it.
I don't think it's just rent a place, pop some things in and voila..

I've graduated with a law degree, my mums partner is a financial advisor and my mum works for the local council- that covers a few things there to help get insights into various areas which are needed, I would just like to know; how much generally a salon would take to start up.

Thanks for your advice.

Well with your knowledge of your law degree and your mum's partner being a financial adviser you should know that doing a business plan is the first thing you should do. Not being funny!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well with your knowledge of your law degree and your mum's partner being a financial adviser you should know that doing a business plan is the first thing you should do. Not being funny!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't mention not doing a business plan first? Perhaps I didn't mention it because I'm pretty sure no one could be so stupid as to not do a business plan first? And tbh, my degree has nothing to do with a business plan..

My salon cost £14k, it was ripped back to the brick and started again. Every single thing in there is new, full re wire, new plumbing, heating, air con, walls, steel girders for wall removals, windows, lower ceilings, stairs (there were none). BUT, my other half has his own building firm with all types of trades employed, so in reality this would've cost double what I paid!
The £14k didn't include furnishing the salon, that was another £5k and is on going.
You then have cost of treatment products to consider, advertising materials (my sign cost a small fortune).
All in all, before anything else, just to have a workable salon, it would've cost me £45k!
As previously mentioned, you need to consider what type of salon you want and the clientele that you wish to attract. Much of this comes down to how much you're willing to spend.
What I would say is do some serious homework before you make such a big decision. If you plough a lot of money into something you want it to work! Have you already got an established client base??
I have been self employed for seven years and in the industry for seventeen. I had a full book of clients before I started.
There are many points to consider and I nearly had a breakdown with all the stress of getting the salon finished and open, and that was with a partner who organised all of the building work! It's very time consuming and I was dreaming about flooring and all sorts!
If you go into this on a whim, you many regret it! Good luck!

Making for future!

hi guys
i have a situation- been offered a lovely beauty room in lovely area for £160 a week. They want me in there like now! I know there's a hell of a lot more to it than just plonking myself in a room and doing treatments but am i right in thinking i would need public liability, music license, msds sheets filed, health and safety policy, designated first aider etc before i could even think of opening the doors?! Or am i being to in depth in my thinking? Im a bit of a perfectionist and i have to say i double check everything to make sure i comply with all regulations etc etc. Yeh i know im boring! Lol. Rather be safe than sorry but worried my worrying could end in me missing a potentially good opportunity?! X

hi guys
i have a situation- been offered a lovely beauty room in lovely area for £160 a week. They want me in there like now! I know there's a hell of a lot more to it than just plonking myself in a room and doing treatments but am i right in thinking i would need public liability, music license, msds sheets filed, health and safety policy, designated first aider etc before i could even think of opening the doors?! Or am i being to in depth in my thinking? Im a bit of a perfectionist and i have to say i double check everything to make sure i comply with all regulations etc etc. Yeh i know im boring! Lol. Rather be safe than sorry but worried my worrying could end in me missing a potentially good opportunity?! X

A beauty room is not really the same as a complete business start up. Is this just all self employed therapists in a salon? You will require your own insurance. The music licenses and health and safety come down to the business owner. You pay rent to the owner. You can still be governed by the owners policies but you control your own tax and national insurance and clients and working hours (generally) . As a self employed therapist you have a legal obligation to report any hazards or potential hazards to the owner.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I opened my first salon on a budget of 3k? I painted it myself scrubbed & cleaned it myself? I made a list of what I needed & spent hours on eBay bidding watching & getting what I needed? I worked from 9-9 6 days a week? Printed my own price lists sat hours folding them!! Got flyers off vistaprint & had them delivered my a lovely old guy?
I stayed for 4 years then moved to a bigger salon & spent another 2k again eBay was the way to go? Just moved to my third & final salon! Cost me 8k plus but all off eBay & Ikea just look for the new & the image you want x

A beauty room is not really the same as a complete business start up. Is this just all self employed therapists in a salon? You will require your own insurance. The music licenses and health and safety come down to the business owner. You pay rent to the owner. You can still be governed by the owners policies but you control your own tax and national insurance and clients and working hours (generally) . As a self employed therapist you have a legal obligation to report any hazards or potential hazards to the owner.

its not exactly a salon, there's a room which a hair dresser uses then a room which has a few clinics in ocasionally. The running of the beauty would be down to me, yes would be self employed, so can i just go in and start working then? I have mobile insurance cover at the moment so guess i just need to change that? X

its not exactly a salon, there's a room which a hair dresser uses then a room which has a few clinics in ocasionally. The running of the beauty would be down to me, yes would be self employed, so can i just go in and start working then? I have mobile insurance cover at the moment so guess i just need to change that? X

You really should have an agreement to rent the room from the owner, notice periods, rent, rent reviews and the policies under your rental. Ie splits products etc. However the chances of having this in writing is very slim as probably the owners don't tell the landlord (if they have one) that they sublet. It is very common. It is classed as easy in easy out terms. They could tell you tomorrow to get out, and you the same. Even though you are self employed the owners may have certain policies that they would like you to adhere to in the respect of a uniform, unlocking procedures, alarms and if your room is available for other therapists to work in. The owners should have music licenses for their premises and health and safety procedures in place already ie fire extinguishers, a fire safety plan etc you probably should hold your own accident book although they probably will have one. If I was you I'd hold my own COSHH records also for any hazardous chemicals and my own risk assessments which can go anywhere with you when you leave. You arrange your insurance tax and NI and clients and times you work although I would tell the owners what you are expecting to do, as this causes a lot of issues when renting, and generally there is no good outcome from it. As far as a dedicated first aider you have to have a certain amount of staff, over 5 I believe off the top of my head. I have a good understanding of what the downfalls are. Having six businesses, I am expected to. I'm sure I did something wrong in a previous life and this is my punishment. ..ha ha.

You really should have an agreement to rent the room from the owner, notice periods, rent, rent reviews and the policies under your rental. Ie splits products etc. However the chances of having this in writing is very slim as probably the owners don't tell the landlord (if they have one) that they sublet. It is very common. It is classed as easy in easy out terms. They could tell you tomorrow to get out, and you the same. Even though you are self employed the owners may have certain policies that they would like you to adhere to in the respect of a uniform, unlocking procedures, alarms and if your room is available for other therapists to work in. The owners should have music licenses for their premises and health and safety procedures in place already ie fire extinguishers, a fire safety plan etc you probably should hold your own accident book although they probably will have one. If I was you I'd hold my own COSHH records also for any hazardous chemicals and my own risk assessments which can go anywhere with you when you leave. You arrange your insurance tax and NI and clients and times you work although I would tell the owners what you are expecting to do, as this causes a lot of issues when renting, and generally there is no good outcome from it. As far as a dedicated first aider you have to have a certain amount of staff, over 5 I believe off the top of my head. I have a good understanding of what the downfalls are. Having six businesses, I am expected to. I'm sure I did something wrong in a previous life and this is my punishment. ..ha ha.

thank you so much for your advice, i don't think there's subletting the owner of the premises is just getting in people from different areas to rent rooms but we are all separate businesses within the building. I will ask a few more questions at the next meeting now iv got my head round it a bit more! Thanks! X

Latest posts

Back