Opening salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aph1018

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking to open my own salon and had some questions for salon owners!

How did you find a color line? I really love wella but don't know how to get in touch wiTh them.

Did You have a grand opening party or promotion?

What advice would you give?

What are some things you wish people would have told you?

Are you opening Booth rental or for employes? This will change lots! And where are you located?

Since its just you, maybe doing a Grand Opening week or month! You can run promotions for referrals, retail, etc. Grand openings can bring alot of pp and with a solo venture, might be better to stretch it out! You can get in touch with your rep who carries whatever line you want to carry (Wella here is carried by CosmoProf). KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS! Everything business related is a write off for your taxes. Quickbooks is a good program for small businesses. Dont wait till the end of the year to deal with your bookeeping, it will totally overwhelm you. Do it weekly, no more than monthly. Hope that helps! Congrats!

Hi..... it's quite hard to get in touch with any of these guys.... my advise would be to start small to begin (I have a salon) ..... I mean your own supply. As for an open day ..... hang fire until you've been open for a while ... a few months maybe ...... then when you do arrange an open day it will be brand new for all!

I've been trading 6 months now and haven't earnt a penny! Be ready for this but it will pay off in the end...... the first thing I did when opening introduced loyalty card system..... it's surprising how many have a full house after 6 'months ! Loyalty or what!!!!! Good luck with your new venture
Hey guys! I'm looking to open my own salon and had some questions for salon owners!

How did you find a color line? I really love wella but don't know how to get in touch wiTh them.

Did You have a grand opening party or promotion?

What advice would you give?

What are some things you wish people would have told you?
it's

It would just be me :)

I own a salon on my own I had a launch night which I invited all my regulars too, too start with I haut bought my colours from the wholesalers
and bought the bare minimum and have just added to it and built it up x

Things I wish people had told me are;

Make sure you have enough money to even start as things pop up such as solicitors fees ect!

You need to have two music licenses one for PPL & PRS thats even to play radio!
You have to pay for your water and water waste - two separate things.
Keep all your receipts from bills to lunch to work uniform - Everything
Make sure you have insurance - salon gold is a good one.

Get on social media - Facebook - Instagram and hashtag hashtag hashtag the hell out of everything!

Yes we had an opening party and handed out 10% off coupons with our price list.
Its very hard work running a business especially on your own but its achievable and I love being my own boss.
Good luck!

I had a launch party mainly for friends and family because I couldn't wait to show off the salon to everyone. Although I did a 20% off new client discount, in hindsite I should have done a 50% off incentive to all who came to the launch party. Thinking back it was a lovely evening and the cocktails were flowing, we had music and nibbles and everyone enjoyed themselves, but how many of those people that came actually come to me for services - not very many! So it was nice of them to support my launch and enjoy the free food and drink on offer but I should have done more to fill the appointment book in those early months!
3 years later and I have a bit more of a business head! I didn't take a wage for the first 18 months and even now, I just pay myself the minimum as I'm trying to build the business account up so that in the quiet months I don't stress about not having money in the account. It's hugely rewarding though building something from scratch and seeing the clientele grow. It won't make you rich but I have no regrets.
Also don't believe anyone who tells you they can get your business rates, reduced. They are all scammers and I got duped! I have grown to detest salesmen with a passion!

Latest posts

Back