Opening up a salon and working alone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborahg30

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have been doing mobile beauty for the past 3 years it but not busy as i would like to be. Really fed up with working in the morning then nothing untill 6,7 at night.On my busy weeks its great i don't stop however im ready to set up my own beauty salon. i have been looking around and have seen an ideal property. I want to keep costs down as much s possible so my question is am i best to work on my own for a while? or employ some els. my worry is not being able to answer phones while im with a client and being in the treatment room leaving the front unattended.

Can anybody give any advice on how you got started?

Hi Deborah, I got started with the help of Prince's Trust when I was 19. I found a little shop within a complex and worked on my own for a couple of years until I found that I was busy enough to take on someone part time.
From there I moved into bigger premises and had more staff.
It may take time but be determined and make it work for you.
Good luck :)

Hi. I have a salon and I go it alone. My clients like the fact that my salon is quiet and relaxing, and they always get the same person. The drawbacks are that I have to lock the front door when I'm upstairs with a client, and don't have anyone to deal with phone calls and people that just walk in, but you just get round it. I have a note on my door explaining and saying ring doorbell or text mobile and il get back to them, most people are fine with it. It's a lot of hard work on your own but I'd say start that way and build up to employing someone. Good luck xx

I am hair so slightly different but I opened my salon 5 months ago and I work alone. It is bloody hard, I work 60 hours a week just in the salon and then you have all the other stuff on top of that to do. It is in my opinion the only way to get your business started. Having to pay someone while you are not busy just drains what funds you do have. I am not sure how you would work it while you are doing treatments though. Slightly different for me, I'm always standing in the main area. Hopefully a beauty geek will be along with some words of wisdom for you :)

Thanks for the reply ladys.

I like the idea of leaving a note on the door while working in the treatment room. The reason i ask is i work in a salon a couple of days aswell as being mobile and the clients always complain of the phone not getting answered and they went elswhere. I suppose i could always make sure there was an answer phone service where they can leave a message.

Also what advertisement did you do to get people through the door?

I would suggest you leave a voice mail msg saying that you are with a client and will endevour to answer when you are free.
A door bell is also something I had and kept the door locked with a note to say I was in treatment.
As for advertising, try and get your local paper involved. Do something for a local charity or invite the women's features editor in for a free treatment.
Perhaps you could use your USP. If you don't have one, think what could be. E.g. If you are not happy at the time of your app receive it free. I don't think anyone would say they didn't enjoy their facial at the time of receiving it.

Hi
I've just about to open my salon :) I went to the job centre in the area and I'm advertising for work experience staff. Which is basically a person aged 18-25 who come to work along side you for upto 8 weeks and you don't have to pay them but you could train them up and offer them a job at the end.
I think this is a fab idea

Latest posts

Back