OPI Gelcolor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemied

Reaction score
Has anyone received, tried or had training for Gelcolor yet? I'm eagerly awaiting any reviews! I'm planing to try it at the Excel show and book workshop training from there, but would appreciate comments from anyone who has tested this product. xx

I've had it on my nails for just over 2 weeks now. We have had Shellac in the clinic since launch which I personally love. However as all our polishes are OPI, I was keen to try. My main concerns were longevity, removal time and condition of nails once removed. So far I think it is great. No chips, very hardwearing, (we have also tried it on a couple of hairdressers and seems to be wearing very well - in comparison to Shellac which did not last for them) - I can only compare to Shellac because that is all we have experience of, although I am aware OPI Gelcolor is different in that is is pure gel.

Removal was easy - no buffing at all, virtually came of in one piece after 10 mins wrap, and nail was really strong following removal. I now have pink flamenco which is super shiny. I did have Lincoln park prior and I have to say the shine after two weeks was amazing - looked like new.

So to sum up - really impressed. Excellent colour choice (all the classics). No pre buffing either. Have ordered all the remaining kits. Perfect for us.

Should also add - we applied bond aid to one hand prior and left off the other (also did not use on the hairdressers - did not make any difference, so in our experience bond aid was not necessary, exactly the same prep as per shellac was all we did.

Last edited:
The search facility will reveal lots of Gelcolour threads and posts.

In the meantime, according to another thread which was posted not so long ago, OPI will not be exhibiting Gelcolour at PB ExCel:

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/166588-no-opi-gelcolor-excel.html

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for your response. I have searched gelcolor a few times but there are only a handful of threads and none very recent or reviewing the product, so I'd thought I'd ask all you geeks out there for your opinion. xx

I've had it on my nails for just over 2 weeks now. We have had Shellac in the clinic since launch which I personally love. However as all our polishes are OPI, I was keen to try. My main concerns were longevity, removal time and condition of nails once removed. So far I think it is great. No chips, very hardwearing, (we have also tried it on a couple of hairdressers and seems to be wearing very well - in comparison to Shellac which did not last for them) - I can only compare to Shellac because that is all we have experience of, although I am aware OPI Gelcolor is different in that is is pure gel.

Removal was easy - no buffing at all, virtually came of in one piece after 10 mins wrap, and nail was really strong following removal. I now have pink flamenco which is super shiny. I did have Lincoln park prior and I have to say the shine after two weeks was amazing - looked like new.

So to sum up - really impressed. Excellent colour choice (all the classics). No pre buffing either. Have ordered all the remaining kits. Perfect for us.

Should also add - we applied bond aid to one hand prior and left off the other (also did not use on the hairdressers - did not make any difference, so in our experience bond aid was not necessary, exactly the same prep as per shellac was all we did.

Thanks so much for your reply, it sounds like a great product! Has anyone out there used it who also uses Gelish? xx

GelColor will definitely be at ExCel. We will be demonstrating the system and the will be kits available to buy. All of the kits already include massive savings and these are available to all customers at all times so please come and see us!

GelColor will definitely be at ExCel. We will be demonstrating the system and the will be kits available to buy. All of the kits already include massive savings and these are available to all customers at all times so please come and see us!

Thanks for the clarification ... it was becoming a little confusing.

A basic "Try Me Kit" would be brilliant and a good way to entice new customers. Most of us have already have at least one gel polish system in our salons.

A basic "Try Me Kit" would be brilliant and a good way to entice new customers. Most of us have already have at least one gel polish system in our salons.

Yes we agree and are looking into that as we don't have one yet. We will try and get something together to bring to the show for you.

Yes we agree and are looking into that as we don't have one yet. We will try and get something together to bring to the show for you.

Wow, thanks, that would be great.

I thought it was coming out in the uk late feb?

I was going to get shellac but saw the opi gel and thought I would wait.

Ive getting mine on the 2en of march.

Very excited. I love OPI x

Yey :) thanks for clearing that up Emma, can't wait to try it

I'm so pleased to hear this about the gel colour! I adore OPI and have been so excited to hear what others say.! Definately buying it now.! xx

Thanks for all your replys. Can't wait to try it at Excel! Is there anybody else out there who has tried it already and can let us all know their thoughts on the product? xx

Thanks for all your replys. Can't wait to try it at Excel! Is there anybody else out there who has tried it already and can let us all know their thoughts on the product? xx

I have it and have used it on my own nails using the OPI LED light for the past three weeks. I must say I am quite impressed. The light is pretty impressive itself - although it looks kind of like Darth Vader's helmet! It has a little bar in the inside back of the lamp that you must touch to turn it on which kind of forces you to spread your fingers for a good exposure and proper cure.The only thing I don't like about the OPI light is that it does not have a bottom. I also have the Gelish 18g and it compares well with that.

The OPI GelColor formula is impressive as well. The base boat is thin, thin enough that you can "scrub" it onto the nails for a good thin coat. I did not buff to remove shine. It has a faint chemical smell different from most SOGPs. The brushes are nice and flat, again for a thin application. I've only used Strawberry Margarita and I'm not Really a Waitress both of which covered well in two coats, but I have heard of some issues with shrinkback on darker colors like Lincoln Park After Dark. Top coat is shiny and durable. Removal is my bugbear, but OPI scores really high in that regard. A ten minute wrap with Expert Touch or acetone resulted in it coming off in large flakes with no residue. The removal was even easier than Shellac (which is my standard for easy removal). Although I have only used it a few weeks, I must confess, with an LED cure and more colors, it is pushing Shellac aside in my eyes.

Last edited:
Thanks Nancycyd. Interesting reading. I have just contacted Lena White to enquire about Gelcolor as I would like to offer a gel (with a matched polish). My husband said a similar thing, will it push Shellac to the background...? Interesting...
Can I also ask, after you have completed nail prep, do you use a scrub fresh type product?

I have it and have used it on my own nails using the OPI LED light for the past three weeks. I must say I am quite impressed. The light is pretty impressive itself - although it looks kind of like Darth Vader's helmet! It has a little bar in the inside back of the lamp that you must touch to turn it on which kind of forces you to spread your fingers for a good exposure and proper cure.The only thing I don't like about the OPI light is that it does not have a bottom. I also have the Gelish 18g and it compares well with that.

The OPI GelColor formula is impressive as well. The base boat is thin, thin enough that you can "scrub" it onto the nails for a good thin coat. I did not buff to remove shine. It has a faint chemical smell different from most SOGPs. The brushes are nice and flat, again for a thin application. I've only used Strawberry Margarita and I'm not Really a Waitress both of which covered well in two coats, but I have heard of some issues with shrinkback on darker color like Lincoln Park After Dark. Top coat is shiny and durable. Removal is my bugbear, but OPI scores really high in that regard. A ten minute wrap with Expert Touch or acetone resulted in it coming off in large flakes with no residue. The removal was even easier than Shellac (which is my standard for easy removal). Although I have only used it a few weeks, I must confess, with an LED cure and more colors, it is pushing Shellac aside in my eyes.

Sounds great, I find Gelish and Shellac both a nightmare to get off sometimes. I hate removing the shine for Gelish and the top coat, and I find with the shellac removal bits are always left on the nail, clients also find both hard to remove themselves.

I have booked on the training and cant wait to get my kit, does anyone know when we will get our kits?? :lol:

Last edited:
Just a quick question sorry for hi-jacking! Is it only LED cured not UV?

Latest posts

Back