OPI or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Mac

Reaction score
Deciding to take the plunge and offer one of these treatments. I've always used OPI for my manicures/pedicures and love their polishes but Shellac gets such good recommendations on here that I'm now unsure. I've been trying to work out prices and thought OPI was much more expensive for start up but then realised their bottles offer twice as much as Shellac, 15mls to 7.5mls and it's a LED light. But I'm not sure if these types of 'polish' go the same sticky way as 'normal' polishes so I wouldn't actually want the larger bottles. (hope that makes sense?) And does the difference between LED and UV really matter?

(I've read through lots of threads for past hour on here trying to find answers to my questions so if they are somewhere, sorry I couldn't find them so started yet another 'Versus' thread! :o)

Thank you.

OPI has a shelf life of 18 months once opened

I use both but I do far more opi than shellac, I fact I have bought the new opi colours but I am not bothering with the shellac ones. I find opi easier to apply, but you do really have to shake the bottles. It doesn't go thick like shellac has when you come down the bottom of the bottle, and the biggest plus, it is the easiest to remove!!!

I love my opi lamp too. A couple of things though, it is not so good for nail art and some colours have been bad for shrinkage so I don't use them anymore (Lincoln park after dark and the black)

For me I would choose opi as it suits me and my clients the best!

I tried OPI first and although my clients were getting 3weeks or more I just wasn't happy with the finished result. Bad shrinkage problems and couldn't get them best enough. I never really took off with the OPI, clients had it once or maybe twice and then stopped. Then I got shellac and I can honestly say it's boosted my business!! In the first 3 months alone I have 20+ regulars for it and people switching from BioSculpture. Adding up my figures has made me happy too! I'm glad I tried both but I chose the one that works best for me and my clients :)

Thanks to all for your replies.:hug: Given me plenty to think about.

I'm having this problem as well... I've always used opi, trained with then etc but am considering changing to shellac off the back of everything I hear on salon geek! Would live to hear more opinions,....

I'm having this problem as well... I've always used opi, trained with then etc but am considering changing to shellac off the back of everything I hear on salon geek! Would live to hear more opinions,....

I'm going for the OPI. Still have a few questions but I like and know the product and the fact I can nip into Sally's and pick up a colour is a big plus for me.

I'm going for the OPI. Still have a few questions but I like and know the product and the fact I can nip into Sally's and pick up a colour is a big plus for me.

I've also settled on OPI - its a brand that clients know and love and I'm now in the process of adding Essie gels - you can pick up the lamp at a really good rate from the US for now and the colours match the polishes almost exactly and THATS what blows me away, love the colours!!

I would try them both on yourself before you invest.

For me, OPI GelColor is perfect. Well known brand, matching polish range, strength of Gelish, huge colour range like Gelish, as easy to remove as Shellac, LED curable, long lasting shine and wear.

I originally invested in Shellac, but found that my not so popular colours would go gloopy along with my base/top coat, as i was already using OPI lacquers i did a training day with Lena White and have to say that i too love OPI Gelcolor. I haven't noticed any difference in longevity of wear between OPI and Shellac and the OPI LED light is stunning, yes you have to shake those Gelcolors to prevent shrinkage (but thats no hardship) and i have to say that i didn't experience any problems using OPI Gelcolor nor have any of my colours/base or top coat gone gloopy. Removal is an absolute doodle far easier than Shellac, and OPI Gelcolor is now included in Sally's VAT free days. Having said all this both systems are brilliant but my preference is OPI :D

I've never had problems with any of my shellac going gloopy near the bottom or the ones that haven't been used for a while. :s just needs a good shake if any have been sitting for a while.

Shellac has made my business! Couldn't ask for anything more from it.

Before I offered it potential clients would call up asking for 'shellac' so I gave them what they wanted.
Do a search on salon geek and you will get lots of information on both CND shellac & opi gel colour.

I'd recommend trying them both on yourself then go from there. Xx

Although you could not go wrong with either brand, in this case I would think that OPI is the way to go. You already have experience with OPI which will give you confidence as you proceed; your clients already are familiar with and like OPI;and you have a relationship with the vendor. The range of OPI colours as well as the fantastic OPI LED light are also factors in its favor. Although I think CND bests OPI for training, OPI is the one brand that give CND Shellac a run for its money in terms of market penetration and awareness.

Last edited:
I offer OPI GELCOLOR and at first it took a while to get clients to try it as they hadn't heard about it, but they are now all converted! I love using this gel polish, easy to apply, super quick to remove and gorgeous colours that match the varnishes. Agree with the lady above, Lincoln park after dark and lady in black are the only colours I've had problems with, even with a good shake! All my other 30+ colours are great ! I don't use the opi lamp I already had a uv lamp from an old gel polish I used and it works fine :)

Fabulous to see so many positive comments for OPI Gelcolor on here! I absolutely love it as do my clients. The lamp is fantastic, gorgeous colours and I don't think you'd regret going for it at all. I spoke to someone at Lena White yesterday and they've launched some new reds and are releasing some new glitters in the New Year!!! Plus I LOVE the Mariah Carey Holiday colours :biggrin:

Yep, the Mariah Carey gold and silver are beautiful and soooo sparkly!

Sent from my ME371MG using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back