Opinions please, training wise!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Softsofa

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm hoping everyone can give me their opinion in what I should do training wise. Basically at the moment I'm a student nurse. I'm due to have my second baby in November. I've always had an interest in beauty and I have just completed an eye treatment course (tint,waxing etc). I am hoping to set up mobile over the next few months and I am really unsure on what direction of training would be best. I'm looking into level 2 beauty fast track or individual courses such as flirties semi permanent eyelashes, nouvatan spray tanning courses and waxing courses. I don't know really if I should pay for level 2 or go and train directly with the company's who provide equipment. I hope I'm making some sort of sense. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thank you again.
Sophia x

I've booked flirties training. I think this route will benefit me most :)

I've booked flirties training. I think this route will benefit me most :)

Hi chic... I'm in Ireland so I dunno what way courses work in UK, but in Ireland it's sooo expensive to do courses separately. I did a one year course in beauty on a Saturday that covered waxing, tinting, facials, make up, mani and pedi. I then did further training in areas of tanning and nails. My advice though, pick quick treatments such as nails and tanning - these are my money makers! Tanning course €100 and nails course such as Shellac or Gelish free (in Ireland anyway) .... When you do the courses it won't be cheap to get off the ground with equipment and products, but we can all offer advice on where to buy when the time comes x

Thank you! You are right I'm hoping to also arrange a tanning course with nouvatan over the next few weeks they also provide an excellent kit. I'm going to stick with these two course and get that hang of them on friends and family! Next year, I'm hoping to book with CND L and P or whatever they most recommend!
Sophia x

Hiya,

It's so confusing when you're starting out, so much choice, it's a real minefield. I agree with scaffrey it is expensive to courses as you go but she was also very right by suggesting you bein with the money-makers and at the moment that is tans, nails and lashes.

I work at ISIS Beauty Academy in Surrey and I would always strongly recommend you try and find courses that offer professional qualifications rather than just 'certificates of attendance'. Our industry is rapidly changing and insuring bodies and becoming increasingly stricter on what they will accept as sufficient proof that you have been properly trained. The problem with non-quals is that there is no way of you or your future employer, insurer and even client knowing that course you attended has given you training to a high standard. With a qualification you know it has had to be written and delivered to a national, governemnt standard and quality.

Hope this isn't too heavy but if you're going to do it, do it properly, it will help you no end in the long run. Lots of competitoin out there so give yourself the best start and be the best of the best. Also check with CND I have a feeling they like to see evidence to prior training and or qualification certificates before they will supply further training and equipment.

Best of luck and if you need any more advice, I'm really happy to help.
:)

Thank you for replying. This is great advice. I'm hoping you don't mind me asking but am I ok to do beginner courses with CND and have a accredited certificate once competent? Likewise with flirties training, kim lawless waxing and nouvatan training? I've been through all of the search engines on here and they are a few of which which seem very respected and great training. I just want good training and insurance to protect myself and clients. It's going to be a long road ahead of me I think but worth it. X

Hiya,

It's so confusing when you're starting out, so much choice, it's a real minefield. I agree with scaffrey it is expensive to courses as you go but she was also very right by suggesting you bein with the money-makers and at the moment that is tans, nails and lashes.

I work at ISIS Beauty Academy in Surrey and I would always strongly recommend you try and find courses that offer professional qualifications rather than just 'certificates of attendance'. Our industry is rapidly changing and insuring bodies and becoming increasingly stricter on what they will accept as sufficient proof that you have been properly trained. The problem with non-quals is that there is no way of you or your future employer, insurer and even client knowing that course you attended has given you training to a high standard. With a qualification you know it has had to be written and delivered to a national, governemnt standard and quality.

Hope this isn't too heavy but if you're going to do it, do it properly, it will help you no end in the long run. Lots of competitoin out there so give yourself the best start and be the best of the best. Also check with CND I have a feeling they like to see evidence to prior training and or qualification certificates before they will supply further training and equipment.

Best of luck and if you need any more advice, I'm really happy to help.
:)

The extent to which I agree with this is massive. I will only pay for a training course if it will result in me getting a recognised qualification because I want concrete proof that I am thoroughly qualified in something. After that I will often look at product specific training. So for example nvq 3 nail services followed by cnd courses.

Not all qualified people are going to be amazing at something because that comes with practice but ultimately, I can only justify learning something if it will result in a qualification being awarded (vtct/itec/cityandguilds for eg) to prove it.

Latest posts

Back